• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Are Simulcast Subtitles Made So Fast?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
c933103

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
In China, because of several raw leaks happened in past few years, (in those incidents some of them are leaked a day or so ahead of original intended airing time, due to various reasons), the nowadays standard time those sites can get the raw in advance before they put them.online is only roughly 6 hours.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
I think that's the lesser of two evils. If the choice was between "episode was posted a few hours after its Japanese premiere, but had a good sub quality" to "episode was posted early, but had missing lines, and/or badly translated ones," I would choose the former.

I'm pretty sure thats a minority opinion though. Back before simulcasts, speed subs that were out only hours after an episode aired would get way, way more downloads than slower groups even though rushing their fansub out that fast obviously lowered quality.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Hameyadea wrote:
I think that's the lesser of two evils. If the choice was between "episode was posted a few hours after its Japanese premiere, but had a good sub quality" to "episode was posted early, but had missing lines, and/or badly translated ones," I would choose the former.

I'm pretty sure thats a minority opinion though. Back before simulcasts, speed subs that were out only hours after an episode aired would get way, way more downloads than slower groups even though rushing their fansub out that fast obviously lowered quality.

Right. I don't know that any company is willing to risk that people have been completely weaned off of fast fansubs. The official versions had to become as fast as they are because they had to offer a comparable product to to people that were used to having things right now. Obviously, this doesn't apply to all viewers, but with companies vying so hard these days for streaming viewers, I don't think they can afford to take the risk.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Who are the translators though. Is it just upper level undergraduate college students looking for experience or is it people whove studied the language at the PhD level and immersed themselves among japanese communities and daily rural little to No english life for a few months?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Right. I don't know that any company is willing to risk that people have been completely weaned off of fast fansubs. The official versions had to become as fast as they are because they had to offer a comparable product to to people that were used to having things right now. Obviously, this doesn't apply to all viewers, but with companies vying so hard these days for streaming viewers, I don't think they can afford to take the risk.

Well I was just talking about people preferring faster releases to waiting a bit longer for better subs. As far as fansubs making a comeback, I kind of doubt it even if there was say a 48 hour delay on 'simulcasts'. A lot of people are happy to be able to support the shows they enjoy, and most fansubbers (actual fansubbers, not groups that ripped dvd releases) back then were doing it to bring shows to fans they wouldn't otherwise be able to enjoy. I think you'd have a hard time finding capable groups wanting to do all that work when an official stream is less than 48 hours away.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
As far as fansubs making a comeback, I kind of doubt it even if there was say a 48 hour delay on 'simulcasts'. A lot of people are happy to be able to support the shows they enjoy, and most fansubbers (actual fansubbers, not groups that ripped dvd releases) back then were doing it to bring shows to fans they wouldn't otherwise be able to enjoy. I think you'd have a hard time finding capable groups wanting to do all that work when an official stream is less than 48 hours away.

That's true. Nowadays "fansub" can be divided to "rip the subtitles from the official stream, rip the HD version, mix and post," who most of them are probably part of that group, and those who actual sub the shows, which is mostly when said show isn't available legally, like the occasional TV show that doesn't get licensed (Dragon Ball Super, for example), or hentai releases.
xScar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Who are the translators though. Is it just upper level undergraduate college students looking for experience or is it people whove studied the language at the PhD level and immersed themselves among japanese communities and daily rural little to No english life for a few months?

No, they're not undergraduates.

They're professional translators. It's their job, which they undoubtedly have years of experience.

And you don't learn Japanese just by being in rural Japan for a few months.

It takes a ridiculous amount of time to learn a language, especially one like Japanese.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Tbh, simulcasted subtitles are often horrible. The least I can tolerate is CR's version. Funi/Daisuki... they should be ashamed they are ripping people's money for their horrible work.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Another fascinating topic in anime broached. Thank you! I've been curious about this for a while.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
Yeah it's pretty amazing that simulcast subtitles are produced as fast as they are airing only hours after the original Japanese broadcast and yet some people still complain for the long wait time or little imperfections. Truly the Anime fans of today are spoiled do they even know what it was like ten years ago. Rolling Eyes
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:16 am Reply with quote
On the other hand, overseas simulcasts also put pressure on the animation studios, etc. to bring their product out on time. If they only had to deal with TV stations, they could literally turn in the final product maybe a few hours before broadcast. With simulcasts however, they have to finish up earlier so that subbers have enough time to sub and put the episode up for streaming at the appropriate time.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
It takes a ridiculous amount of time to learn a language, especially one like Japanese.
The time and difficulty involved in learning a foreign language are a function of how closely it's related to your native tongue. Most Europeans can learn other European languages because, not only are they largely part of the Indo-European language family, they're almost all part of the "Standard Average European" sprachbund. What makes Japanese difficult isn't anything unique and special to it, just that the Japonic language family doesn't extend beyond modern Japan(only Japanese and Okinawan are still alive at this point) and it's not part of any sprachbund.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm also shocked at how fast they sub these shows. I wonder how many translators do CR, Funi, and Daisuki hire because with so many shows per season, I can't picture having just 2 or 3 people translating every single show. I'm surprised by the accuracy as well. Obviously, there's translation mistakes every season, but given the speed and volume of episodes coming out, I'm still pretty impressed with how fast they translate stuff and how it's accurate most of the time.

Яeverse wrote:

As xScar said, I'm pretty sure they're hiring experienced and/or certified translators. "I studied 4 semesters of Japanese" or "I lived with a host family in Japan" doesn't make for a great resume. I imagine experience probably plays a big role, especially for people who have experience doing fast translation.

Polycell wrote:
The time and difficulty involved in learning a foreign language are a function of how closely it's related to your native tongue. Most Europeans can learn other European languages because, not only are they largely part of the Indo-European language family, they're almost all part of the "Standard Average European" sprachbund. What makes Japanese difficult isn't anything unique and special to it, just that the Japonic language family doesn't extend beyond modern Japan(only Japanese and Okinawan are still alive at this point) and it's not part of any sprachbund.

How closely a foreign language is related to your native language is a major factor but not the only one. Age, learning aptitude, social inhibition, etc. are also factors in how well people learn other languages. Interestingly enough, Japanese has some grammatical similarities to Korean (whose language family also doesn't extend outside Korea). I know many Korean speakers have less difficulty learning Japanese than speakers of other major languages.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Interesting but over the years I've been questioning the accuracy of the translations. The one that made me start to question this is a line from Koufuku Graffiti where Kirin was chopping some vegetables. The line she was saying was "Neko no tei Neko no tei" over and over which to my knowledge would translate to "cat's hand" or more accurately "Cat's paw". But the line the subtitles went with was something right out of a technical manual. Also, this sudden usage of "Waifu" makes me wonder just who is approving of this.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
Also, this sudden usage of "Waifu" makes me wonder just who is approving of this.

Sometimes I wonder about that, too. The recent RINNE episode (2nd season, episode #14) had such a moment, that led to this remark. But overall I don't really mind it, as long as it's fitting with the show's nature.

Also, most of CR's subtitles retain the suffixes used by characters (-san, -sama, -kun), while FUNi's usually either ignore them, or try and use their English equivalent ("-san"/"-sensei" -> "Mr./Mrs." ; "-kun" -> some localized nickname).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3