• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Digimon Tamers' Digivice Returns After 15 Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Hikarunu wrote:
Please forget about that D-Ark if you plan to buy. I own D-Ark Ultimate version and the pedometer counter dont really working so you need to shake it really hard to get counter works. Same thing happened to my D-3 Japan too.

But what I bother most Bandai suddenly care about Tamers. Is this a sign that Tamers will be come back? Exclamation

I would be really surprised if it did. Unlike Adventure and 02, Tamers was what ended the franchise due to its poor ratings. They would also have to retcon the ending in order to continue Tamers. I think this is just a continuation of rereleasing the old toys.

"Ended the franchise"? Sure, if we forget that Frontier, Data Squad and Fusion exist and were plenty successful in their own right.
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
"Ended the franchise"? Sure, if we forget that Frontier, Data Squad and Fusion exist and were plenty successful in their own right.

There was a four year lull between Frontier and Savers, and another four between Savers and Xros Wars. Tamer's low ratings is why Frontier's episode count was cut short, and often cited as the downfall of the original run and why the franchise has been shaky ever since. Xros Wars was well recieved though, and Universe looks fun.
peno

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Xros Wars well received? Dunno where. Most of the fans hated Xros Wars. Tamers, on the other hand, is still one of the most favourite for Digimon fans.
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm speaking mainly of the Japanese market.
lunaitc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
RakuenOokami wrote:
Zerreth wrote:
So after you unlock Leomon, does he then die after one fight?

Too soon!! Anime hyper

If we have to reset the "Finally okay" counter every time Leomon dies, we'll never be able to joke about it.
Ryasha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Levitz9 wrote:

There was a four year lull between Frontier and Savers, and another four between Savers and Xros Wars. Tamer's low ratings is why Frontier's episode count was cut short, and often cited as the downfall of the original run and why the franchise has been shaky ever since. Xros Wars was well recieved though, and Universe looks fun.

I was pretty sure that Frontier got its episodes cut during its run because of its own poor ratings. Not cut before because of the ratings of the one that came before it.
IF Tamers was the reason for a decline, Frontier would be the one to have "killed" it because it had its own even lower ratings than Tamers, going by what you are saying at least.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:20 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Hikarunu wrote:
Please forget about that D-Ark if you plan to buy. I own D-Ark Ultimate version and the pedometer counter dont really working so you need to shake it really hard to get counter works. Same thing happened to my D-3 Japan too.

But what I bother most Bandai suddenly care about Tamers. Is this a sign that Tamers will be come back? Exclamation

I would be really surprised if it did. Unlike Adventure and 02, Tamers was what ended the franchise due to its poor ratings. They would also have to retcon the ending in order to continue Tamers. I think this is just a continuation of rereleasing the old toys.

Why would they have to retcon the ending? It was implied that Takato found an opening to the Digital World plus, the Runaway Locomon movie was even set after the show.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:52 am Reply with quote
Re:SOUL wrote:
Why would they have to retcon the ending? It was implied that Takato found an opening to the Digital World plus, the Runaway Locomon movie was even set after the show.

Runaway Digimon Express is non-canon, actually. Konaka had nothing to do with it.

In the spring of 2002, there was a Digimon Tamers movie titled "Runaway Digimon Express". I was not consulted on this feature film, and so any inconsistencies between this and the TV series in terms of time and setting are inevitable.

The epilogue he did write, Message in the Packet, states the kids never saw their Digimon again. So the possibily of a seque! depends if Bandai would do their own thing, or follow with what the director of the series established.

-Stuart Smith
peno

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
I'm speaking mainly of the Japanese market.

OK, I may give you this, but Japanese market is not the only important. Digimon is worldwide franchise and if it fails outside of Japan, then it's big loss, and unfortunately, that's exactly what happened with Xros Wars. Unlike all previous series, Xros Wars only got dub for 30 episodes out of 54 in first series and 25 in second series. And what's probably even more important, the only market outside of Asia and North America where Xros Wars made it was Italy (though there they at least dubbed and aired everything, unlike in USA). So, without a doubt, Xros Wars was the biggest fail in Digimon franchise, from global standpoint. We can only hope now that Digimon Universe will be better success both inside and outside Japanese market.
Ryasha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Unlike all previous series, Xros Wars only got dub for 30 episodes out of 54 in first series and 25 in second series.

Just wanted to point out that Xros Wars is technically split into 3 and that all 54 episodes of the combined lpart 1 and 2 have been dubbed. It's only the last 25 from Young Hunters that hasn't been.
peno

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Actually, it's three arcs but only two official series, even though they added new title to the episodes of second arc, which I honestly never really understood.
And sorry about the dub, I really thought only first arc was dubbed, but now I see my information was over a year old. Which makes me think if there still is posibility for series 2, or arc 3, if you prefer, to be dubbed too, but considering the preparation of Tri dub and whole new series, I wouldn't be so optimistic. Though question is, how fast they will want to get Universe in North America.
Ryasha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
It never really made any sense to me either to split that first arc into 2 but I think it had something to do with moving it's time slot and the month break in between.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:

OK, I may give you this, but Japanese market is not the only important. Digimon is worldwide franchise and if it fails outside of Japan, then it's big loss

You are vastly overestimating the importance of the American market. The majority of Japanese franchises never even air in America and do just fine. Digimon has had plenty of Japanese exclusive media and merchandise without a care in the world. CDs, games, and toys the west will never see. These Digivices, for example, are never released in the West and are aimed exclusively at Japanese fans. If they really cared they wouldn't have made Ryou a central character in 02 and Tamers considering he's from a Japanese only video game series. Anime is not like Hollywood where they pander to foreign countries like China all the time. 99% of anime is made exclusively in the mindset only their domestic market matters. So how a dub performs has no baring on a series' success.

-Stuart Smith
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:20 am Reply with quote
I have to admit this is pretty neat.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:40 am Reply with quote
For Rika fans that have wondered what Melissa Fahn actually sound like, look up the 12/7/2015 YT video called "Otalku: Melissa Fahn, voice actress". Rika is very close to her actual voice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3