• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What can anime do for you that it's not doing?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, actually 90% of the anime today is made for teenagers and adults*. Thing is, otaku apparently like to look back to their teenager years so media featuring teenagers are dominant in the medium. Also, stuff with 40 year old characters will alienate people under 40 while people who are 40 year old can appreciate stuff featuring teenager characters. So yiu can get a bigger market share that way.

IMO Hyouge Mono was kinda boring. I actually prefer otaku stuff like Nanoha and K-On! instead.

*The distinct between adult and children's stuff is actually a Modern European cultural construction. For example, DragonBall is regarded as children's stuff in the West but in Japan people from the age 7 to 70 read the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:22 am Reply with quote
Anime should be aimed at an older audience. Yes, I admit it, I do like high school shows. Many people do. However, teenagers are becoming the minority in the world. The median age of most rich countries is 40+.
To not cater to the majority of the people is a costly mistake, in my opinion.
Why not have a more mixed cast - so you can attract the very young audience, but also have older protagonists whom the audience can identify with? With relatable issues?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:55 am Reply with quote
Older people can relate to high-school stuff, however. Pretty much everyone in the intended audience has experienced it, and so it's the easier setting to take advantage of.

That said, maybe I've just been noticing it more lately, but given how there've been more 'fathering' shows lately, this might indicate a trend.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
I really liked the idea of Hyouge Mono, that had adult characters and don't think there we get enough of it, although I can also see it is quite a small niche within the market and probably does not make enough money for this type of anime to be made.

Shows like that can only be carried on the non-commercial NHK. It's brought us some of the best shows over the years like Juuni Kokuki, Dennou Coil, Seirei no Moribito, and Kemono no Sou-ja Erin. Like the commercial broadcasters, anime on NHK often also advertises for the source material, but often those are award-winning manga like Hyouge Mono or Moshidora. From what I've read about Iso Mitsuo's efforts to find someone to underwrite Dennou Coil, only the NHK was willing to invest in that original story.

Noitamina tried mightily to attract an audience of young adults, particularly women, and featured a number of shows with adult characters like Nodame Cantabile, Mononoke, Hataraki Man, Genji Monogatari Sennenki, and Usagi Drop. Unfortunately the demands of commercial broadcasting have forced Fuji into including a larger fraction of shows with adolescent characters in its more recent lineup. While these shows often have a more serious tone like Sakamichi no Apollon and Battery, they still focus on the usual array of teen issues. Lately there also seems to have been an effort to appeal to fujoshi with bromance shows like Samurai Flamenco.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
To not cater to the majority of the people is a costly mistake, in my opinion.
Why not have a more mixed cast - so you can attract the very young audience, but also have older protagonists whom the audience can identify with? With relatable issues?

Out of interest, how did you fare with Sweetness and Lightning earlier this year? Such a show meets this criterion to a proverbial T.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Actually, you know what I'm really jonesing for these days? Is a really gory and sexy horror title that is genuinely scary. I'd like it to have a serious, adult tone, like Monster, and have adult sex in it (i.e. characters having sex in a realistic, hot way). A quality horror hentai series, I guess? Whether the horror is supernatural or not doesn't really matter to me as long as it was actually SCARY. And sexy. Don't forget the sexy.

RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne says hi. Though you better be into S&M lol. With the rise of HBO shows that handle sex in a more mature manner I wouldn't mind something of that ilk in an anime series. Something mature like say GOT or others that has adult situations, not just high school kids all the time in anime, but isn't just straight hentai. I love my T&A don't get me wrong, but simply trying to push the boundaries of what you can get away with before it's hentai while not giving a good adult plot just only goes so far. I think one manga that handled sex well, despite it only being 1 scene, and had a mature plot was AI Yori Aoshi. Once you got to the manga volumes not covered by the anime the comedy died down a lot as the drama ramped up. spoiler[At the end we got to see Aoi and Kaoru have sex like adults and actually be together like a real couple.]
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
I think Genocyber (1994) and Saikano (2002) had an "adult" depiction of sex. Although I personally don't care about shows having that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:28 am Reply with quote
I was going to say I'm missing 1980s-style storytelling, worldbuilding, ambition, and design aesthetics, but it's hard to complain of a lack of that after watching Gundam the Origin IV the other night. Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is also fresh in memory--what a joy to see Mikimoto-designed characters on TV again--and Lupin III Part IV had some of the best material I've seen from that franchise to date. Of course "more like these" would be even better, but even I've gotta admit: this old-school fan is actually not being left completely out in the cold these days, and I appreciate that.

One thing I'd still like to see again is an epic fantasy adventure that fully embraces its setting--no parody, no trapped-in-a-video game element, nobody from our world, no armors that look like school uniforms, no anachronisms of any sort. Bring back Mutsumi Inomata or Nobuteru Yuuki, and let them go wild making highly-detailed character, monster, and costume designs.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
(1) More stories taking place outside of Japan.
(2) Less high school stories, including all variants like magic school, military school, space school, cooking school, sport/school related stuff, etc... The only exception that I think would be cool to see would be monster school. I could totally dig monster school IF AND ONLY IF it was NOT a harem show with a milquetoast audience insert guy transferring to a school filled with giant-breasted monster girls whom he pretends to have no interest in despite them all clawing at each other to get in his pants and/or stuff their massive boobs in his face. With that condition in place (and related condition of equal distribution of male/female monsters), monster school would be cool, especially if most of the characters were very fantastical.
(3) Less witches
(4) Less anime where the production team is showing off how cool they are because you didn't they could do "that" in anime.
(5) More magical girl/boy shows with mascots who have ulterior motives.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I think I'd like to see more anime with characters who have disabilities, where it's as incidental as their height or hair color. The same way I'd like there to be gay characters whose orientation wasn't any sort of issue at all, just a random personality trait (sorta got a taste of that in HaruChika).

I think about the closest I've seen was an arc in Ace of Diamond where a team's manager was in a chair, and no one really made note of it at all, and there was no explanation of it until the end of the arc. It would've been better if they hadn't felt the need to explain it and make him the inspiring example for his teammates. Sound! Euphonium made a stab at it too, but again, the girl's deafness was the issue at hand and not just a trait she had, and she mostly ended up the Disabled (Tsundere) Pixie Dreamgirl to inspire everyone too (they handled it better than I made it sound, but still not quite what I'm looking for).

What really bugs me when they try to do this is that for people using chairs their friends usually push them instead of walking beside them and letting them move on their own. Talking to someone who's always behind you is no way to have a conversation. Ryō Inoue in Trickster has escaped this, but he uses a chair for mostly psychosomatic reasons so his disability is still a plot point.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Sound! Euphonium made a stab at it too, but again, the girl's deafness was the issue at hand and not just a trait she had, and she mostly ended up the Disabled (Tsundere) Pixie Dreamgirl to inspire everyone too (they handled it better than I made it sound, but still not quite what I'm looking for).

Did you mean Koe no Katachi there or did I miss a big Euphonium episode

Yuki Yuna Is A Hero has Togo, spoiler[though her disability is later explained as a plot point and disabilities in general end up being a big part of it]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Euphonium have the girl who was deaf in one ear who didn't want to join the band because she was losing her hearing? It's been awhile, and I feel like there was an episode or two of HaruChika that also featured a deaf person, so I'm probably confusing the two? Or am misremembering the latter having that. I dunno. I obviously wasn't hanging on every episode of either series. Very Happy

Koe no Katachi was deafness front and center, so that's not the sort of thing I'm talking about, though it's an awesome and needed story.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I would like more adaptations of European literature like that show adapting the The Count of Monte Cristo (like they are talking about in ANNCast). Animated versions of Tolstoi and Cervantes would be cool.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to bring another anime that I would love to see and its a real doozy! Laughing

It's a typical day in Japan and everyone was walking by minding their own business when all of a sudden, many women were starting to feel a little...strange.
They started to notice they were getting a bit taller, and their muscles were bulging all over their bodies.
In fact, their clothes were starting to shred because they got more...muscular.
Nothing was happening to the men for some strange reason, but the women, they starred to feel pain as they were experiencing something that, never in a million years they thought would happen to them.

They would all turn into muscle amazons!!
One can only imagine the turn of events that would soon follow...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, for one thing, I assume Japanese society would get a lot less sexist in a hurry. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3