• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toriko Gourmet Battle Manga Heads Toward 'Climax' on November 14

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDude042

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:49 am Reply with quote
I started following Toriko in the past several months and I'm not surprised that it's coming to a conclusion. I will say however, that it's done a hell of a much better job at wrapping things up towards the conclusion than Bleach did that's for sure. You make me sick Kubo Tite! Evil or Very Mad *Spits* The final arc of Toriko is far from being anything I consider praise worthy, but it was definitely entertaining, and not written like shit and full of plot holes and rushed to hell like a certain other manga I just mentioned a few sentences ago, in case anyone forgot ya know...
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:01 am Reply with quote
I'm glad it's ending now. I was scared it'd pull a Fairy Tail and magically pull a new arc out of its rear after having spent the last two years acting like it was about to end.
xzy123

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:29 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
EighteenSky wrote:
Expected since the manga has been going at light speed for a while now but I don't blame Shueisha for this, they pushed it to the moon and beyond but it never reached those heights in sales, it still sold well but not enough sadly.

Didn't help that Toei butchered the anime badly. The final arc in the anime is like a slap in the face of any fan of the manga.

If Bleach fans think they had it rough Mitsutoshi had to skip about 2 years worth of content easy to wrap it up. So many key, crucial parts done off screen which is disappointing. The Pair arc was the last well paced one we got. The other 8 kings got nowt but a bit of teasing and feat showing.

If Toriko were to ever get the reboot it surely needs, Shima would be able to include the missing content and plot holes. I highly doubt this will even happen, though. Confused

it is toriko for fault for skipping just because of sale unlike bleach who don't care just end
Cetais

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
xzy123 wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
EighteenSky wrote:
Expected since the manga has been going at light speed for a while now but I don't blame Shueisha for this, they pushed it to the moon and beyond but it never reached those heights in sales, it still sold well but not enough sadly.

Didn't help that Toei butchered the anime badly. The final arc in the anime is like a slap in the face of any fan of the manga.

If Bleach fans think they had it rough Mitsutoshi had to skip about 2 years worth of content easy to wrap it up. So many key, crucial parts done off screen which is disappointing. The Pair arc was the last well paced one we got. The other 8 kings got nowt but a bit of teasing and feat showing.

If Toriko were to ever get the reboot it surely needs, Shima would be able to include the missing content and plot holes. I highly doubt this will even happen, though. Confused

it is toriko for fault for skipping just because of sale unlike bleach who don't care just end
Bleach still sold more than Toriko before it ended, so that's why it wasn't as rushed. I'm also pretty sure they were a bit more lenient for Bleach to reach the end than Toriko.
Encore22

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Got some hype out of it almost weekly, sad to see it go, but it has kind of run its course.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
It's always sad when one of my favorite manga ever ends. With that, only five of my favorite Shonen Jump manga ever are still continuing in some form, and only one of them is still in Shonen Jump (One Piece). The others are either in Ultra Jump (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure), in a new comic in Weekly Shonen Champion (Saint Seiya with Saint Seiya: Next Dimension, not counting spin-offs), continuing as an Anime with a manga also doing its own thing at times (Dragon Ball with Dragon Ball Super), or new series not by the creator in either anime or manga form (Yu-Gi-Oh!).

Always sad when I get one less reason to read WSJ. Hopefully we get some new comics that can last long enough to tell some good stories.
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
xzy123 wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
EighteenSky wrote:

Bleach still sold more than Toriko before it ended, so that's why it wasn't as rushed. I'm also pretty sure they were a bit more lenient for Bleach to reach the end than Toriko.

Nope. Bleach was actually outright cancelled at the end, which explains why, as terrible and overly long as the arc had been, the ending was still rushed as all hell, left as an incoherent mess with literally dozens of character and plot threads just left hanging.
Not even Jump wanted to have it drag along for any longer at that point.
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
JDude042 wrote:
I started following Toriko in the past several months and I'm not surprised that it's coming to a conclusion. I will say however, that it's done a hell of a much better job at wrapping things up towards the conclusion than Bleach did that's for sure. You make me sick Kubo Tite! Evil or Very Mad *Spits* The final arc of Toriko is far from being anything I consider praise worthy, but it was definitely entertaining, and not written like shit and full of plot holes and rushed to hell like a certain other manga I just mentioned a few sentences ago, in case anyone forgot ya know...
there are other manga with worse endings then Bleach and I thought the last arc was fine until the last fight imo, so I won't "spit on Kubo" it's not his fault you kept reading something you didn't enjoy.
Shinuki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
Another mediocre shounen coming to an end....only for WSJ to replace it with a potentially worse series. If only there's a prodigy out there who can storm into WSJ, defy their rules, and #MakeShounenBattleMangaGreatAgain. That little fantasy aside......I hope the Toriko fans can enjoy it while it lasts.

Mediocre in your opinion, in my opinion Toriko is one of the best battle shounes that i've read, and i read TONS of them since i'm a big fan of battle shounens even more the ones from Jump.

And to finish, the part of "a newby that defy their rules", seriously, this is a shounen manga magazine for kids and teenagers, not a revolutionary thing, not even One Piece did something like that and is the biggest selling manga in history. And even if Shonen Jump gets a new "Dragon Ball" in the next decades that changes how shounen are written, probably you will not even be reading manga or caring about it.

Edited to remove name-calling. --willag
JDude042

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
there are other manga with worse endings then Bleach and I thought the last arc was fine until the last fight imo, so I won't "spit on Kubo" it's not his fault you kept reading something you didn't enjoy.

Well I'll admit that whatever these manga are that you say are worse than Bleach, I'm pretty sure I haven't read them, let alone heard of them. I won't say Bleach as a whole was terrible, because honestly it wasn't. However, somewhere along the way, mainly during the final arc is when things definitely took a nose dive. spoiler[Kubo basically off-screened the Zero Division members and gave them little to no character development in my opinion, especially for as powerful and hyped up as they were supposed to be. We never even learn their fate in the aftermath of things.]

The manga was definitely cancelled at some point and Kubo had little time to wrap up things the best he could. My guess is Kubo screwed around too much and his relationship with his superiors at Shonen Jump went sour, which led to Bleach's terrible fate. So yes, I would say Kubo Tite is to blame, and I read Bleach to the very end because I followed it from the beginning, and I wanted to see what the outcome would be, regardless of how awful it turned out to be. I'm not exactly cringing over the fact that I decided to read it, especially when I read online scanilations for free, on top the fact that it only takes about five minutes out of my time to read a chapter of Bleach once a week, more so of the fact that I can't believe something that had so much potential in its second arc could slowly and steadily go on the decline, and then completely end in a shit storm of diarrhea and vomit. I guess that's the kind of force a cancellation can have on something, especially when the creator was dicking around too much with his work.
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
JDude042 wrote:

Well I'll admit that whatever these manga are that you say are worse than Bleach, I'm pretty sure I haven't read them, let alone heard of them.
Beelzebub, Negima, and Hitman reborn's endings were defiantly worse then Bleach's (keep in mind I enjoyed these series as a whole but man there endings were garbage)
Quote:
I won't say Bleach as a whole was terrible, because honestly it wasn't. However, somewhere along the way, mainly during the final arc is when things definitely took a nose dive. spoiler[Kubo basically off-screened the Zero Division members and gave them little to no character development in my opinion, especially for as powerful and hyped up as they were supposed to be. We never even learn their fate in the aftermath of things.]
I can't argue with the Zero Division argument, they had some cool powers but didn't have development and a few fights, but hey I'll take the last arc over the fillertastic Fullbring arc any day, at least the quencys were an actual threat.
Quote:
The manga was definitely cancelled at some point and Kubo had little time to wrap up things the best he could. My guess is Kubo screwed around too much and his relationship with his superiors at Shonen Jump went sour, which led to Bleach's terrible fate.
the relationship is not something we know for sure but cancellation is something I don't doubt, low ranking didn't help but the same thing happened to Nisekoi and now Toriko, but they are doing some TV special talking about Bleach on TV tokyo so it seems they still throw some sort of stuff for the series.
Quote:
So yes, I would say Kubo Tite is to blame,
my comment was about you reading the manga while not liking it, not the actual manga's fate.
Quote:
and I read Bleach to the very end because I followed it from the beginning, and I wanted to see what the outcome would be, regardless of how awful it turned out to be.
well I still read Naruto from time to time even thought that series became total trash after it's time skip, maybe it has something to do with me wanting to make fun of it and Kishimoto's shitty writing so I hear you.
Quote:
'm not exactly cringing over the fact that I decided to read it, especially when I read online scanilations for free, on top the fact that it only takes about five minutes out of my time to read a chapter of Bleach once a week, more so of the fact that I can't believe something that had so much potential in its second arc could slowly and steadily go on the decline,
think of it this way Bleach's best moments were from Soul society and hueco mundo arcs. and I know a lot of people will disagree with me but the 1000 year blood war wasn't that bad in my opinion (saying that on ANN forums is going to start an out rage) since it started out pretty strong
Quote:
and then completely end in a shit storm of diarrhea and vomit. I guess that's the kind of force a cancellation can have on something, especially when the creator was dicking around too much with his work.
some say it was a short notice (not saying that I think that just saying there are different speculations) ever since the sudden announcement I didn't have high expectations for the ending spoiler[admiringly the Aizen vs Yawatch stuff was pretty badass sucks the last fight was so anti-climatic] all and all I hope the best for Kubo and maybe if he has another project in the works it can have a better outcome, but at least Bleach had a much better run then Zombie Powder, that manga was just shortly lived
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:14 am Reply with quote
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really kinda wanna see One Piece end now just so Luffy can finally join his fellows from their whole collective era in retirement.

I know Toriko came a while after One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach, but it's still a cornerstone of JUMP.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:43 am Reply with quote
Hmm. After reading most of everyone's comments, I've deduced that the reason people hate the outcomes of some shounen & shoujo manga is because of.....the time-skip method. Confused

Apparently when a time-skip happens, the manga itself takes a nosedive and falls flat to its readers.
redranger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:23 am Reply with quote
Torino isn't very good. In fact I'd go so far as calling it terrible. Its removal from WSJ will hopefully give promised Neverland and red sprite some breathing room.
GVman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:53 am Reply with quote
Meh. I think most of it has to do with nostalgia for how fresh a series felt before the time skip because they were at that age where just about all animals and manga feels fresh. The only time skips I've found to be truly bad were in Black Angels and Fist of the North Star, both earlier jump manga. The former was already going down the capper as it tried to up the craziness to compete with FotNS, while the latter reached its natural conclusion before the time skip happened.

Kon'Doriano wrote:
Another mediocre shounen coming to an end....only for WSJ to replace it with a potentially worse series. If only there's a prodigy out there who can storm into WSJ, defy their rules, and #MakeShounenBattleMangaGreatAgain. That little fantasy aside......I hope the Toriko fans can enjoy it while it lasts.

You wanna know who doesn't play by JUMP's rules? Togashi. The man vowed to make manga on his own terms when he ended Yu Yu Hakusho, and, by God, he's been doing it. You know why they've been letting him do that, though? He became a major success first. The editors at JUMP wouldn't have given him the time of day otherwise Their secret to success has been strictly controlling everything. Ring ni Kakero, Fist of the North Star, and Dragon Ball, JUMP's three biggest early hits, had intense editorial control. That's how they work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3