• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card Arc Manga Gets TV Anime Series in January 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TG72

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
It's good news, but what about Meilin? She was one of the few anime only characters that made a story better (the episode where she spoiler[returned for a big talk with Syaoran] was one of the series' best). At least let her show up for another visit...
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Nakayoshi has learned absolutely NOTHING from the train wreck that was the Shugo Chara! anime. They took a really good manga, gave it an anime adaption way too early (the anime adaption was announced when chapter 18 was released - which is in volume 4, the second arc started in that volume), and utterly destroyed it. Why couldn't they just do a faithful remake of the original anime similar to Crystal?! And THEN adapt the Clear Card arc?

The only way this manga is going to get a faithful anime adaption is if the manga is only a few volumes long, and ends before the anime airs. Otherwise, there's going to be a ton of fillers.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Well this is interesting. I never got into the series but this must be exciting for fans of the series Very Happy. I remember almost passing out when I heard Sailor Moon was getting a new anime lol. That aside, I really don't know a lot about Sakura or it's fans but I just pray they don't pick it apart and complain about everything like my fandom did with Crystal Rolling Eyes
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Nakayoshi has learned absolutely NOTHING from the train wreck that was the Shugo Chara! anime. They took a really good manga, gave it an anime adaption way too early (the anime adaption was announced when chapter 18 was released - which is in volume 4, the second arc started in that volume), and utterly destroyed it. Why couldn't they just do a faithful remake of the original anime similar to Crystal?! And THEN adapt the Clear Card arc?

The only way this manga is going to get a faithful anime adaption is if the manga is only a few volumes long, and ends before the anime airs. Otherwise, there's going to be a ton of fillers.

It's airing on NHK though so it could get the usual NHK treatment where it gets a short amount of episodes (maybe 25 like Bakuman & Rin-ne originally had) and then wait maybe until more of the manga's out (assuming CLAMP don't put it on hiatus too) to announce a second season?
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
"When they" dub it? More "if" it's dubbed period.

Anyway, although she calls him "Kero-chan", I'm pretty sure "Kerberos" (without the first o) is the actual romanization. It's the literal Greek name for "Cerberus" (which is what Dark Horse's English version of the manga, and the NIS America home videos [as well as the Animax dub] of the anime call him).
moonshine101

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Everyone is on the nostalgia boat right now and here I am only caring for LoGH next year. Never got into CCS as it just bored me to death. Although I find it funny that more studios now and returning to old IP's because current content is poor.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
Would anyone mind explaining to me what this news means for Madhouse? 'Cause I heard that the studio wasn't doing too well in past few years. Although to be honest, I really enjoyed their recent anime adaptation of No Game No Life and I'm looking forward to the upcoming film version.

Based on recently made anime One Punch Man, Madhouse did it quite well. It was one of the best anime made by them.
Hope this anime wont use too much CG or else it gonna be bad like Sailormoon Crystal. And the best thing is, its not picked up by Toei!
megazero

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
New CCS is always good.
It is also intriguing if they will retain the late 90's style like Kindaichi Returns did.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:09 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
It will be interesting how many of the male otaku will latch onto this as it's one of the few shoujo titles males also got into (the inverse tends to happen way more often). Hell, a lot of stuff found in CCS has been furthered refined in the future moe bishoujo titles especially the magical girl genre aimed for guys (first eps. of Nanoha being quite blatant for example).
I'm not sure why so many anime fans still think guys never watch shoujo anime. Most shoujo anime usually have a tight group of devoted male supporters and no one cares. Plenty of guys loved Sailor Moon, Escaflowne, Fushigi Yuugi, Ouran, Fruits Basket, Magic Knight Rayearth, Pretear, and more. I can't think of any shojo anime that doesn't have male fans and go to any anime message board and you'll see at least a dozen threads of paranoid guys freaking out people might think they're gay for watching shoujo anime or something. Speaking as a male anime fan who loves shoujo anime with no shame, I wish anime fans would get over their paranoia about guys liking shoujo already.
CharonCaori

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

The other 2 manga arcs are only 25 chapters each. The manga began in July, if I remember correctly, and releases monthly, so it will have around 18 chapters out by the time the anime airs, which I think is enough time. The old anime had about 35 episodes for each arc, so hopefully this one gets 26 so it won't feel like a stretch. The manga should be ending around then. Actually, the original TV anime ended a few months BEFORE the manga did, and the ending was perfectly fine. The writers were in close communication with CLAMP, so they didn't have to make up filler arcs or anything.

The original anime is, to me, perfect. I rewatch it every other year or so. There were a few episodes in the last arc where they really ran out of time or budget, and it shows, (there are scenes in the last episode that were a black and white eva-style slideshow) but aside from that, the music, setting, shot framing, plot and character additions, everything still holds up. It's a beautiful show. NHK obviously agrees, because they've been airing it on TV over the last year, and they're showing the first movie in theaters again in a month or so. It's perfectly timed to end right before the new one starts, just over a year from now.

All signs point to this being a sequel to the old anime, and not a straight adaptation of the new manga, so hopefully it fixes some issues I have with the tone of the new manga, and keeps anime canon like meilin, and the anime-only cards intact. The old voice actors are back, (and Tange Sakura still sounds perfect. Have you heard her Cagliostro voice in Granblue? She can totally still pull Sakura off no problem. Hisakawa Aya, Seki Tomokazu and Ogata Megumi are all still quite active. I haven't heard Kumai Mokoto in anything in years, though, so we'll see with Syaoran.) I hope Clamp works closely with madhouse again. I could not imagine a better scenario for the new anime than this. I don't really believe Nakayoshi has as much influence over anime adaptations as you think, I imagine the anime production company has a lot more control.

Edit: If anyone's curious, this is Tange Sakura's Cagliostro CD from granblue, which came out last month or so, in case you're wondering what she sounds like now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj985yqHtMw
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:36 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Still need to finish this series someday. I've been stuck at episode 20 for... about 2 years now, I think.

I'm not good with long-running "monster of the week" shows because I eventually (in, like, 5 episodes) grow tired of the formula (and usually just stop watching, or watch a few episodes every year or so), and CCS was the same for me. So what I ended up doing was reading up summaries of the episodes and getting fans' opinions on which episodes had either the most plot progression, relationship progression, or were the funniest/most heartwarming. And then I basically watched things out of order. I would watch the episodes in order up to the point I got tired of the "card of the week" formula and then would jump ahead to whenever the next main plot/relationship/funny episode was, and then continued on that way until the end of the series. I think I ended up seeing all of the third season in a row (what with Syaoran's revelation and all - that was just too darn cute), but the 1st and 2nd seasons had lots of gaps. After I reached the end of the series, I went back and filled in the blanks over time so that I could officially finish the series. This worked out quite well for me, and I didn't feel like I really missed out on much watching it this way. Yeah, occasionally I'd see Sakura use a card that I hadn't watched being captured, but not knowing the story of how she caught it wasn't a deal-breaker especially since a majority of those episodes are standalone, self-contained stories. Overall, I adore this series, but mainly for the episodes that I found the most memorable or heartwarming, which were all contained in my first watch. I don't ever see myself revisiting the whole series, but I have gone back and rewatched the 20 or so episodes I loved multiple times.

As for this news, it makes me happy, but I am a bit hesitant on a new anime series. I like both the anime and the manga for CCS, but they're kind of their own separate stories. Several events happen similarly between the two, but there are still plenty of differences (19 cards in the manga vs. 53 in the series, Meiling, how the two series end). Preferably, I would want the anime to not be a direct adaptation of the manga, but to tie in to the storyline of the original anime (so that Sakura has her 53 cards, including the Hope card, and Meiling shows up). I doubt that will happen, but it's a hope.

I have yet to check up on the new manga. I'm glad to see that it's not too far in the future. I really hope it keeps the tone of the original (mostly light-hearted and sweet with some dramatic moments) vs. the dark mind-f**kery that Tsubasa went. I really didn't care for Tsubasa.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Another long, long series made out of a short manga.With all the "filler" Cards, there will be a good amount of supplement.

Interesting question: I wonder how will CLAMP or the animation writers deal with the simplified Sakura Cards story of the previous animation. After all, in this version, Eriol is the one and only reincarnation of Clow, and his will to push Sakura beyond Clow's level lost all meaning.
Without a "magical Fujitaka", the new animation has already one of the new intrigues to ignore.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Nelvana can no longer get their grubby hands on this, right?

Because God knows we don't need any more of that "Avalon" crap or that "Expect the unexpected" schlock.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
Nelvana can no longer get their grubby hands on this, right?

Because God knows we don't need any more of that "Avalon" crap or that "Expect the unexpected" schlock.

Nelvana dropped the first show's license 10 years ago and allowed two other companies (three if we count Madman) to rescue what they had so that should tell you if they still care or not.
CharonCaori

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
AyanamiRei wrote:
Another long, long series made out of a short manga.With all the "filler" Cards, there will be a good amount of supplement.

Interesting question: I wonder how will CLAMP or the animation writers deal with the simplified Sakura Cards story of the previous animation. After all, in this version, Eriol is the one and only reincarnation of Clow, and his will to push Sakura beyond Clow's level lost all meaning.
Without a "magical Fujitaka", the new animation has already one of the new intrigues to ignore.

That's a good point. Maybe they'll retcon it in?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4