• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Superb Anime Moms

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Already there's a troll entry and a duplicate entry in the waifu list alone...this is the downside to letting the internet decide on these sorts of things...

I've had quite a few husbandos over the years but because I didn't really have a concrete concept of husbandos until I stumbled across Hibari from Reborn!, I've gone with him. (I specify this because I had a few characters that could have been classified as husbandos prior to watching Reborn!, but Hibari both made the show for me and, when I lost interest in him, I realised I didn't like the show anymore. Such are the dangers of watching a show for husbandos alone.)
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Favorite gadget poll... can't say I'm surprised. Some of the ones down the list are a little too practical/replicable. The Anywhere Door has the most fantasy allure to it. As for Death Note coming in at #3... I wish I could say I was surprised.

The mom list... the honorable mentions could go on for a while, so I'll only say that for a medium that tends to regularly forget about even mentioning parents most of the time, the ones that do a close to reasonable job tend to stand out that much more. The mom from Erased though, I do think she should be way up the list.

First waifu... that's a little tricky. I want to say Dark Magician Girl. I don't really do the whole waifu thing, but she was the first one that I latched on to at about the time I learned what the term meant. Going further back, I'd have to say either Jun from Shaman King, or Black Lady from Sailor Moon. My very first fan-fiction story casts Dark Magician Girl and Black Lady as sisters, with Jun being their mother. But, I guess I'll go with Dark Magician Girl, because of the three, she's the one I do the most artwork of.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Sachiko Fujinuma from Erased and Junko Kaname from Madoka Magica are not only the best characters in their own respective series, but they might just be the two best mothers in all of anime. Hana from Wolf Children also deserves being mentioned.

But of course, shounen action shows get priority since they are more popular, right? Yet the way Eren's mother is described makes her seem not much different than say, Akiko Minase from Kanon. More variety would be nice on these lists.

I suppose this list could have been much, MUCH worse though...
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:46 am Reply with quote
My waifu I met in 1968 in an abandoned fishing village long before such a term even existed- Hilda in Little Norse Prince aka Horus/Hols Prince of the Sun (I was Hols, so it's not adultery).
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:10 am Reply with quote
I came here to make sure Sanae was on the list. Glad to see she is.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:02 am Reply with quote
Considering how stupid Goku is, I actually do like his wife's style of parenting. Heck, even Bulma occasionally takes charge over Vegeta (who is smarter than Goku but not stronger).
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:38 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Ummm, yeah.... I wouldn't dare call Millia anything more than an acceptable parent. And that is being pretty generous. Yes, she realizes the baby being a hybrid is important to the plot but umm....

I mean, she's not mean to the kid and she's seriously doing her best, but man, this scene about sums up her parenting. This scene was cut out of Robotech, btw (when I first saw original Macross for the first time after seeing Robotech like 3 times, my jaw dropped at this scene, because I think I would've remembered it!)
"Can I hold your baby?" "Sure, here you go!".

actually i saw that when it showed on toonami the very first time back in the 90's, though only once. after that it got edited out. also considering of the demoic mother list from last year's list , millia is a definite breath of fresh air.

Quote:
Millia even suits up her daughter and brings her into space to show her existence to her former comrades, an act that leaves them dumbstruck.

actually your wrong about that. it left them shocked to be sure when they saw her child. but what really left them dumbstruck to the point that they looked liked they were gonna puke was when rick and lisa aka the sour puss actually kissed in front of them. definitely an lol moment cause those two were basically what gave rise to SM's usagi and mamoru waifu and more or less the whole analogy of two people who literately despises one another , but eventually fell in love in the end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:23 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
chaccide wrote:
Looks like the best anime mom is a dead anime mom!

Damn, that's just...ouch. Anime hyper

Well... you know, the life expectancy of parents in shounen action shows and weepy dramas....

One comment that once got a laugh out of me was after someone made a list out of.... the 7 most dangerous anime occupations or something, and someone said in the forums that "Nope, the most dangerous job ever is being the dad of a shounen protagonist." Laughing
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:00 am Reply with quote
Come on dude!!! Where's Erased MC mom?! It's the more realistic sacrifice one of them, she spends years caring for her comatose son...
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:12 am Reply with quote
I also thought Sachiko from ERASED deserve to be high up on the list of mothers.

Since I started watching anime in my fifties, I wasn't really in the market for a waifu. Still I had to add Tsukamoto Yakumo to the list as an outstanding example of this character. Having her performed by Noto Mamiko with her soft alluring voice just added to Yakumo's appeal.
jutsuri

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:03 am Reply with quote
I have to add my voice to the chorus of Sachiko praise, she would definitely take first place if I were to write a list of good anime Moms.

I was always bemused by the cavalier attitude Kagome's mom had towards her adventures. One of my favorite moments was the scene of her adjusting the seat of her bike for Kagome to use when she got back from the Warring States Period, she sees a shooting star and wishes to win the lottery - not for her daughter to come home safely. She's clearly thinking about her daughter without worrying overmuch.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
And that is being pretty generous. Yes, she realizes the baby being a hybrid is important to the plot but umm....

I mean, she's not mean to the kid and she's seriously doing her best, but man, this scene about sums up her parenting.

On reflection, this was probably the most shocking scene in the entire series that didn't involve any pineapples. Considering the scale of destruction in the world of Macross, this fact is really quite a testament to its emphasis on character drama.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
I don't know if Chi-Chi is listed or not, but she was pictured. No offense, but there's nothing "superb" about her in any way, shape or form. That was the whole point. Akira Toriyama (the author) turned her into a(n intentionally gross exaggeration [even by Japanese standards] of a) complete, one-dimensional, and unsympathetic "kyoiku ("education") mama" in order to make a commentary on this type of approach to being a mom, and how unfair, unrealistic, and just plain awful the idea really is (oh yeah, and to do a deconstructive parody of the idea, as well, but especially the former*).

I hope you can take a little constructive criticism, ANN, but with all due respect, I think should you have used a better example in your thumbnail.

*"You have to save the world, Gohan? I don't care! You have to think of your education, and you future!" "But mom..." "Not another word! YOU HAVE TO STUDY!!"

(This might not have been how it happened exactly, but that's the general idea, and it wasn't [necessarily] meant to be funny, either.)
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind the disagreement over Chi-chi at all but I would appreciate you read the column at the very least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
This a joke? Eren's mom is LITERALLY a plot device.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4