• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Do The Japanese Feel About Hollywood's Version Of "Ghost In The Shell?"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

No one said she doesn't have a race. It's that her race doesn't matter. Other than her appearance and her name, what is one aspect of Major's character that is exclusively Japanese? Nothing comes to mind for me.

Sometimes race is merely a descriptive feature like hair or eye colour. It's a part of a character but doesn't influence the narrative at all. Say you have a black character whose arc is overcoming the racism of others. His race is the direct cause of conflict and so integral to the narrative. You couldn't turn that character white because if you did that conflict would disappear. The Major is a cyborg cop dealing with future crime. Her being white, Asian, male, or attack helicopter wouldn't change that basic premise.
If you're trying to claim it'd be no big deal if Hollywood decided to change Motoko to a man in their GITS remake to justify their casting decisions, you're clearly getting desperate to defend a crappy movie.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Nah, I'd say changing Motoko into a man wouldn't affect much since she lacks any sort of femininity in the first place. Wasn't there a scene somewhere where she considered getting a male body? Personally I've never found her to be appealing as a woman.

When stuff like this happens people act like race/gender is the only important thing about a person. I wish more people would see that this attitude is just as problematic as the stuff they're rallying against.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Nah, I'd say changing Motoko into a man wouldn't affect much since she lacks any sort of femininity in the first place. Wasn't there a scene somewhere where she considered getting a male body? Personally I've never found her to be appealing as a woman.

When stuff like this happens people act like race/gender is the only important thing about a person. I wish more people would see that this attitude is just as problematic as the stuff they're rallying against.
The scene was the complete opposite. It was an episode of SAC where Batou suggested to Motoko she should swap for a male body after she got onto him for wasting his money on his weights, so she cyberhacked him to make him punch himself in the face. One of the core messages of GITS was always about finding your humanity in spite of having a cyberized body and this whole anti-humanity claim about GITS is revisionist ad hoc justification for the casting of the live action film. Hollywood made Motoko white for one reason only and that was for money and that backfired on them, but let's at least stop pretending like Hollywood cared about being faithful to the original vision.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
One of the core messages of GITS was always about finding your humanity in spite of having a cyberized body

As I've said before, the anime fails at this with the Major because she acts like a heartless machine 99% of the time. I never got the impression any potential loss of humanity bothered her. Heck, in the original she was all too happy to merge with the Puppet Master and become something non-human.

In the movie, the idea that she's no longer human and just a machine clearly bothers her and we actually see her struggle with her identity. She's way more likable and sympathetic here then her anime counterpart ever was and part of that is thanks to ScarJo's performance.

CCTakato wrote:
Hollywood made Motoko white for one reason only and that was for money and that backfired on them, but let's at least stop pretending like Hollywood cared about being faithful to the original vision.

Let's at least stop pretending that Hollywood as an entity is equivalent to the director and his team who made the movie. The design work is absolutely gorgeous and a lot of work went into rendering the cityscape. The story has classic GitS themes, but made less pretentious and more accessible to a general audience. They also included scenes and elements directly from the source so it's clear the film makers were familiar with and have affection for the original. It's certainly one of the better anime adaptations out there and is far from a bad movie on its own.

But unfortunately the deck was always stacked against it. Cast an unknown Japanese actress, no one will see it. Cast a big name who happens to be white, people will boycott it. There is literally no way they could have won.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
@ Vaisaga: true, but even though the movie underperformed, I think it would have made even less money with a Japanese actress instead of Scar Jo. From a strictly business standpoint (and probably creatively because I hear Scar Jo did a good job), the film-makers made the right choice, but there was never going to be a way to avoid the white-washing backlash.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
You're right. Even if casting ScarJo was going to cause controversy, it would still work to draw in casual movie goers who don't care about such things.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
CCTakato wrote:
One of the core messages of GITS was always about finding your humanity in spite of having a cyberized body

As I've said before, the anime fails at this with the Major because she acts like a heartless machine 99% of the time. I never got the impression any potential loss of humanity bothered her. Heck, in the original she was all too happy to merge with the Puppet Master and become something non-human.

Why do you hold that Motoko's taciturn personality is fatal to the film's thematic exploration of humanity? To contend that a more outwardly emotional performance is a requirement to such an end is to allow a premise that many would be unwilling to grant in the context of Oshii's works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
How can you explore humanity through a character that displays barely any humanity? It works much better when the focus is on Bato or Togusa. Particularly Bato since he's a full body cyborg like Motoko but he still manages to be charming and likable.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:39 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Let's at least stop pretending that Hollywood as an entity is equivalent to the director and his team who made the movie. The design work is absolutely gorgeous and a lot of work went into rendering the cityscape. The story has classic GitS themes, but made less pretentious and more accessible to a general audience. They also included scenes and elements directly from the source so it's clear the film makers were familiar with and have affection for the original. It's certainly one of the better anime adaptations out there and is far from a bad movie on its own.
Visual flair is the only thing the Snow White and the Huntsman guy ever had going for him. It was always a mistake to put someone who only had directed two movies that were blockbuster failures in charge of something as ambitious as GITS.

Quote:
But unfortunately the deck was always stacked against it. Cast an unknown Japanese actress, no one will see it. Cast a big name who happens to be white, people will boycott it. There is literally no way they could have won.
Or go the Matrix route and create your own American work that was inspired by GITS but is still wholly a unique American creation. The Matrix was much more in the spirit of GITS and was far more successful for it and did far more to raise awareness in Hollywood of cyberpunk anime than this remake has done.

Quote:
@ Vaisaga: true, but even though the movie underperformed, I think it would have made even less money with a Japanese actress instead of Scar Jo. From a strictly business standpoint (and probably creatively because I hear Scar Jo did a good job), the film-makers made the right choice, but there was never going to be a way to avoid the white-washing backlash.
Does Rupert Sanders want a participation trophy or something?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:28 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
Quote:
Does Rupert Sanders want a participation trophy or something?

I have no idea what this means.

Last edited by Blood- on Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:38 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

So you don't think Rinko Kikuchi, aka Mako from Pacific Rim, could have attracted people to the film? An actress from a very popular film that's big with nerds AND very anime and kaiju-movie inspired? Something super popular with both general audiences AND the weeb demographic?

I personally think the movie would have done better with her than it did with Scarlett, but obviously we don't have some parallel universe machine to go check and see.

But what I find interesting is all the people saying essentially "you can't cast a Japanese actress in a leading role like this, they'll all too unknown!" Well, if studios are completely unwilling to cast Japanese actresses even for roles of SPECIFICALLY JAPANESE CHARACTERS, then how the heck is a Japanese actress ever supposed to get known?

You've basically created a system where Japanese actresses can't get cast in leading roles... ever. No matter what. Because they can't get cast in leading roles until they're well known enough, and they can't be well known enough unless they're cast in leading roles.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:22 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

So you don't think Rinko Kikuchi, aka Mako from Pacific Rim, could have attracted people to the film? An actress from a very popular film that's big with nerds AND very anime and kaiju-movie inspired? Something super popular with both general audiences AND the weeb demographic?

You mean Pacific Rim, the movie that notoriously underperformed with Western audiences? Yeah, no, as good as she was in the film she's nowhere near the level of a fricken Avenger.

Mad_Scientist wrote:

You've basically created a system where Japanese actresses can't get cast in leading roles... ever. No matter what. Because they can't get cast in leading roles until they're well known enough, and they can't be well known enough unless they're cast in leading roles.

While you're not entirely wrong, you act like only leading roles are important. It's not rare that a talented actor in a supporting role steals the show so if an ethnic person can only get those supporting roles that's no excuse for them not being able to shine.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:23 am Reply with quote
@ Mad_Scientist - Scarlett Johansson's current starmeter rating on imbd is 47. Rinko Kikuchi doesn't even have a rating - she's simply listed in "The Top 5000." Rinko doesn't come close to having the global name recognition that Scarlett has.

I work in the Canadian film and television business which, of course, ain't Hollywood. But the underlying principles are the same even if the scale is much different. What drives financing for movies - especially for big budget movies - is casting.

I don't need a parallel universe to test your hypothesis. I just need a little specific knowledge of how movies get made and common sense.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

But what I find interesting is all the people saying essentially "you can't cast a Japanese actress in a leading role like this, they'll all too unknown!" Well, if studios are completely unwilling to cast Japanese actresses even for roles of SPECIFICALLY JAPANESE CHARACTERS, then how the heck is a Japanese actress ever supposed to get known?

In Hollywood- that is pretty much true, not just for Japanese, but most nationalities in the world. If you look at the blockbusters, there are very few European or Asian or African (not African born in the US lets say, but actually born in one of the African countries). There are a few exceptions here and there, yes, but what percentage do they make up? Quite tiny.
Ken Watanabe is I presume one of the most currently known Japanese actors- and despite an amazing repertoire, and having made it to a few big American films (Inception), still features mainly in background roles. Korean Byung-hun Lee, an incredible actor and probably one of the most talented guys I have seen on screen, in US mainly features as "silent ninja in the background" type of character and not sure how many people he actually draws to screens, despite having 100000 times more charisma or talent than half the celebrities.

If you look for diversity and equal racial representation, then Hollywood is not the place. And that's not something we want or create as viewers, but unfortunately, this is the way things are. I would love to see more diversity, but unfortunately if you look at an average viewer, many want to pay for names they already know, and which studios heavily promote. Why they don't promote Japanese actresses- no one knows.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I have no idea what this means.
The fact remain Rupert Sanders made an awful movie nobody cared about or went to see. My local theater only played it for literally one week before they pulled it from the theater. The argument it would have been even crappier without white saviors to help it is the last dying desperation of the film's apologists to try and save it. Rolling Eyes I love GITS as much as the next anime nerd but I don't know why some obsessive fans feel this is a hill they need to die on for a movie at best is just kind of meh. Not everything GITS related needs to be defended, people .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4