• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Does Made in Abyss Have to Be So Disturbing?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I've been hyped to see a This week in Anime for MiA since the season started.

Quote:
I hate this spikey boy.

Don't be like that Steve. The Orbed-piercer just wants to hug people. It's not his fault he's covered in poisonous spikes, and thus can only hurt those he loves. Very Happy

Also funny you should mention 127 hours, the manga author apparently mentioned that watching that movie gave them the idea for the whole amputation scene.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
However, I did have a single negative. The whole thing where an enemy attacks and appears to miss and everyone looks ok, but then suddenly cut to one of our dear friends and we see that he/she actually received a mortal wound, is WAY over used. I couldn't help rolling my eyes a little, even with how much I love this show.

The arrival of Nanachi just in the nick of time was my eye-roll moment. Maybe that's how it was depicted in the manga, but there was too much of the "deus ex machina" about that moment for me.

We'll probably know for sure next eppie, but Nanachi's appearance may not just be a matter of convenience. Reg mentioned early in the episode that he sensed something following them. That might have been Nanachi. It's possible she was following them and choose only to get involved when it was clear that Riko would die, otherwise.

Another great TWiA, btw. This feature is quickly becoming an ANN favorite for me. It doesn't seem to matter who the participants are, or which show is under discussion, TWiA seems to be consistently entertaining and insightful. Keep up the good work!
casenumber00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't know if there are voice acting awards for anime but there should be and they should win them.

Is this guy, Steve, a newb?
Adrian Robotnik

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I loved the episode overall. They nailed almost everything from an emotional standpoint. However, I did have a single negative. The whole thing where an enemy attacks and appears to miss and everyone looks ok, but then suddenly cut to one of our dear friends and we see that he/she actually received a mortal wound, is WAY over used. I couldn't help rolling my eyes a little, even with how much I love this show.

May be over-used but it works every time...I mean, after all the moment when Reg finds out what happened to Riko makes you feel bad for him, because he thought he had protected her, but in the end he only managed to avoid a direct hit.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Just saw episode 11 and my assumption that Nanachi's appearence wasn't mere coincidence/deus ex machina was correct. AS USUAL. I never tire of being right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2