• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks to Phase Out DVDs by 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
Does anyone still buy DVDs that aren't in Blu-Ray combo packs?
Up until this year, I was. But am considering switching over to combo packs soon, so I won't have to rebuy those titles later on.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
2. "I still like DVD for AMV making". - Somewhat of a valid excuse. Though, for the past nearly 5 years now it's been fairly easy to rip blu-rays for that same purpose. Blu-ray drives with good speeds are also around 50-60 dollars on Amazon. Not a lot of people do this so it's understandable to not have that already.

This was kind of my hold-up (not that I do AMVs, though I might try getting back into it someday). I didn't have a Blu-Ray drive, nor did I know how (or if) I could rip my purchased Blu-Rays to watch them on my iPad, which is where I watch pretty much everything. Once I upgraded my Mac, I bought an external BD burner, and finally did the research to get a BD-ripping workflow worked out. It's much more of a hassle than DVD since it can't all be done in Handbrake, but I've done a few series now and I can live with it.

So I was a bit of a laggard, but personally I'm fine seeing everything go BD-only now. Bonus: we share a BD region with Japan, so it's easier to import stuff that doesn't get licensed here, if it happens to get an English subtitle track.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
Well SHIT. I guess I gotta buy a Blu-Ray player now.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Sentai's not the only one doing this. Recently Nozomi also announced that they are going bluray-only from here on out. And even Funimation quietly allowed their Fruits Basket Anime Classics DVD release to go out of print when the new bluray set came out.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Sh*theads. I'd rather pirate than buy from them. Evil or Very Mad

No matter how hard you're pushing the Blu-ray format, it will never become the standard, deal with it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
No matter how hard you're pushing the Blu-ray format, it will never become the standard, deal with it.

I assume your method of choice to watch recorded video is still VHS. How does Attack on Titan look on tape?
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Good. DVD should have been phased out already. Blu-ray players are just as cheap as DVD players were when vhs was phased out when it came to movie releases.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I upgraded to Blu in 2013, so this doesn't affect me much. DVDs will always be around though, at least for stuff that will not warrant or justify an HD release, like old sitcoms shot on SD video tape.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:

It's already the "standard" by basically every definition. And has been for some time. More BDs are sold than DVDs within anime, etc. Shawne Kleckner has spelled it out pretty clearly over the last year.
neozxtc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:

And you are the reason why anime prices go higher and higher, and why we don't get series here in the US. Let me break it down for you, since you don't like to pay for things and think it should be free. One, these are companies. A company has to make money in order to survive and grow. If you aren't buying anything then what reason does said company have to try to license or dub anything? Not only that but by pirating you are basically saying F you to all the hard working animators and voice actors that put their time into the media your so free enjoy. The least you could do it buy anime. And sorry, blu ray is the started for hi definition now. There is a reason why blu-ray.com has over 389,132 members. Sure DVD's are great for convenience but lets be real. Blurays have much better PQ and AQ then any DVD could have. If you can't see that then maybe you need to get your eyes checked.

Personally I always enjoyed combo packs as it was a great way to get people that didn't have a BD player into a series they might not have seen. But now that that my cousin has a XB1 then she has started to get and or borrow my BD's. And it should lower the cost since they don't have to worry about pressing more disc and packaging. I'm sure Funimation will follow suit in the near future.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
DVD releases are still good to have around for series that don't have HD masters, I'd much rather watch a DVD release on a older TV than a blurry upscale on BD. But even then, SD-BD can fill that niche at a lower cost (god bless Discotek for actually taking advantage of the format) and for newer releases there's no reason to not go BD.

Kougeru wrote:
Finally!! There's is no good logical argument to stick with DVD. I know anime is still generally only released in 1080p (and aired in 720p, upscaled to 1080 on CR), but 4k has been a thing and is becoming more and more normal. 4K anime should be a thing in a few years and if we're still releasing DVDS that would be like releasing VHS in 2005. Stupid.

I seriously doubt that TV anime will be moving anywhere close to 4K for a long time. There simply isn't enough budget to fill out a 4K image with detail.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
This is fantastic news! I didn't really start collecting anime until about 2014 so my collection is already all Blu Ray. I think the best part about this is previously DVD only series might get a Blu Ray release (looking at you Queen's Blade.)

Hopefully more companies continue this trend as it should bring down the cost of Blu Ray manufacturing even more.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Blu-Rays? One would think the next step would be a Digital Download service.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Wow, that's quite a bold move. Love to get Sevakis' take on this.

For fandom titles, it's not really a bold move. BD has been the majority of sales for big mainstream things like Star Wars and Marvel, which trickles down to niche categories like anime. It's really only older audience (as in, seniors) and general family/kids content that is still doing its bulk of sales on DVD.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Finally!! There's is no good logical argument to stick with DVD. I know anime is still generally only released in 1080p (and aired in 720p, upscaled to 1080 on CR), but 4k has been a thing and is becoming more and more normal. 4K anime should be a thing in a few years and if we're still releasing DVDS that would be like releasing VHS in 2005. Stupid.

It really isn't though. Most shows aren't even animated in 1080p. The only show that I actually recall being done in true 1080p recently was the Nyarko-san anime by Xebec, iirc. Gundam Thunderbolt is the only thing I know that's gotten the 4K treatment but that's Sunrise + OVAs.

Shar Aznabull wrote:
DVD releases are still good to have around for series that don't have HD masters, I'd much rather watch a DVD release on a older TV than a blurry upscale on BD. But even then, SD-BD can fill that niche at a lower cost (god bless Discotek for actually taking advantage of the format) and for newer releases there's no reason to not go BD.

This is especially true. For a lot of older shows, even if they are blu-ray transfers that are good, we don't tend to get them over here. And when we do, they tend to be the garbage transfers that actually make it over here. Compare the Bluray transfer of Shin Getter Robo/Armageddon to that of Dancougar. While Shin Getter was a bluray transfer, it was a horrible transfer, especially when compared to the Dancougar transfer which had the film grain + brighter colors.

That's kind of why I'm not sure this is a good thing on Sentai's part considering a large amount of their catalog hasn't even got proper HD transfers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7