• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Sword Art Online Series Adds Writer-Producers Patrick Massett, John Zinman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FukuchiChiisaia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
青白 wrote:
First your name and now SAO. North American media entertainment sure has gone to the S*****HIT in terms of creativity.

Japanese media is not better either. Considering Sao is a ripoff of .hack. Many shows are just rehashing the same stuff over and over again.

Actually, SAO is ripoff of Dennou Boukenki Webdiver.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:22 am Reply with quote
青白 wrote:
First your name and now SAO. North American media entertainment sure has gone to the S*****HIT in terms of creativity.

Actually this was announced well before your name.

As for the SAO bashing, if that's all you have to say just save your breath. We have enough threads with pointless SAO bashing we don't need another. So either post some substance or just move on. Thank you.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:37 am Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
Quote:
Skydance Television President Ross commented, "We're already deep in development with Patrick, John, and Laeta on our larger than life Skydance SAO series, in which we aim not only to satisfy the franchise's enthusiastic sci-fi and anime fan base but also to appeal to new TV audiences the world over."

Okay, I get that, but we don't need a live-action adaptation of Sword Art Online. It's better for newcomers to watch the anime (there's a dub for crying out loud, they don't have to watch it subbed!) instead of wasting millions of dollars on a live-action adaptation. I don't care about Sword Art Online, but a live-action adaptation isn't gonna give me the incentive to check out the franchise.

If you don't like it then don't watch it? How does this existing affect you in any way? Does it retroactively stop the anime from existing? Of course not (unfortunately). It's their money to waste and worst case scenario it sucks and at least SOME of the people who haven't seen the anime will want to give the source material a chance. I hate the 'Don't-let-anyone-into-my-clubhouse' mentality that anime fans have, we want anime to have as mainstream as possible if we want the optimum amount of english releases and merch.

Most people won't give anime a chance simply because it's drawn (I know a lot of people who are happy to watch 3D anime films but won't give regular drawn anime a chance for some reason).

With SAO the only way is up, anyway. and that's coming from someone who likes SAO.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:22 am Reply with quote
Still think Accel World would've been the better choice. It's basically a Kamen Rider story with some moments of very sincere character development with an actually interesting setting and plot. Plus its the better work (outside of SAO's Progressive remake)

Doing a SAO adaption just feels like riding the wave so to speak. Everybody complains about Fairy Dance but if this is actually an adaption (ie no massive changes), Fairy Dance is going to be even more disturbing than it originally was.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:54 am Reply with quote
I'll be honest, I would be surprised if they manage to pull off a Live Action. Especially finding a network that is willing to fund the serious budget that the CGI work it would require.

Then as others said, they likely will localize the characters so no more Kirito/Kazuto or Azuna. And instead of Tokyo, it's downtown LA. So it really doesn't bolster confidence with those who are fans of the series, it's almost guaranteed to get butchered. Heck, you can almost expect Heathcliff's true identity being revealed early on to the viewers instead of giving us that surprise.

So to sum it up, "I got a bad feeling about this."
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
This has CW written all over it.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
epicwizard wrote:
(there's a dub for crying out loud, they don't have to watch it subbed!) instead of wasting millions of dollars on a live-action adaptation.

And marketing a medium which isn't all that popular in certain markets isn't a waste of dollars as the anime bubble soberingly showed?

Well no, licensing anime for the West is a waste of dollars, but it's justified because there's plenty of people out there who want to watch anime legally. If nobody in the West wanted them (or only a few hundred people), then anime publishers would've stopped licensing them a long time ago.

I just don't see much of a point of a company trying to produce a live-action adaptation of a niche anime in an attempt to make it more mainstream when the source material (the anime, BTW) is legally available here and has a dub that seemingly plenty of people are fine with. It's like the equivalent of a company in China trying to produce a live-action adaptation of Shrek when the country already has a Chinese dub of the movie. SAO could be more popular here, but Aniplex of America decided to give it a small-scale release, which automatically limits the number of people that stumble upon it.

Puniyo wrote:
If you don't like it then don't watch it? How does this existing affect you in any way? Does it retroactively stop the anime from existing? Of course not (unfortunately). It's their money to waste and worst case scenario it sucks and at least SOME of the people who haven't seen the anime will want to give the source material a chance. I hate the 'Don't-let-anyone-into-my-clubhouse' mentality that anime fans have, we want anime to have as mainstream as possible if we want the optimum amount of english releases and merch.

I'm not gonna watch it because I'm not interested in the premise. The live-action adaptation existing bothers me because, like I told BadNewsBlues, we already have the anime, fully dubbed, and is available for purchase. It just seems like they're only making a live-action adaptation just because they want to cash in on the franchise's success.

I also want anime to be more mainstream here, but unfortunately, chances of that happening are extremely low. The vast majority of networks don't want them because they can't fully control or own them. Most importantly, they don't like the fact that they won't be able to earn a single cent off them. So, TV broadcasts, for the most part, is out. The streams on mainstream platforms like Netflix aren't really making anime more mainstream. And retailers like Best Buy don't wanna carry niche anime in their stores, so the copies have to go online, which only the fans are gonna know about. Toyetic anime are really the only ones that can get mainstream because their primary reason to exist is to sell toys and other merchandise, which requires tons of expose to get those things sold. But for a niche anime like SAO? Their primary reason to exist is to sell DVD/BDs, so they'll end up being niche because only the fans are gonna bother buying the DVD/BDs.

Quote:
Most people won't give anime a chance simply because it's drawn (I know a lot of people who are happy to watch 3D anime films but won't give regular drawn anime a chance for some reason).

If mainstream Americans refuse to give SAO a try just because it's animated, then that's their fault, not Aniplex of America and not the production committee. There's tons of other shows they can watch instead.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
I just don't see much of a point of a company trying to produce a live-action adaptation of a niche anime in an attempt to make it more mainstream when the source material (the anime, BTW) is legally available here and has a dub that seemingly plenty of people are fine with. It's like the equivalent of a company in China trying to produce a live-action adaptation of Shrek when the country already has a Chinese dub of the movie. SAO could be more popular here, but Aniplex of America decided to give it a small-scale release, which automatically limits the number of people that stumble upon it.

If mainstream Americans refuse to give SAO a try just because it's animated, then that's their fault, not Aniplex of America and not the production committee. There's tons of other shows they can watch instead.

I'm not sure what part of this is so difficult to understand. You know Americans, by and large, won't give something a chance if it's not live-action. These guys are making a live-action Sword Art Online because they feel that's the ticket to making it more popular. Pretty simple logic there, and it makes sense from a business perspective.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:47 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Basically do what the video game adaptations are presently doing?

I haven't played any of the games, so I wouldn't know.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
...And yet Game Of Thrones and The Walking Dead didn't fail in spite of adapting what's already been told.

That's not even remotely similar though. Firstly, let me just say I haven't read any of the source material of those shows nor have I ever watched any of those shows, period. But, going off of what I've heard, isn't The Walking Dead more of a spinoff rather than an adaptation? Like, it doesn't follow its source's plot, but rather takes place in the same universe that was invented by the comic.

But, regardless, that's not really relevant. Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead are the first adaptations of the source material, afaik. To illustrate what I'm trying to say, consider this: How would you feel about an animated Game of Thrones television series that rehashes all of the stuff the television series has done already? It be stupid, yes? Why make another series that is literally the exact same thing as its predecessor?

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Making it an original story can still lead to people comparing it to the original work not simply the other way around.

Huh? No. It won't. It's, frankly, impossible to do that. The only thing you can compare is the universe. Characters, plot, events, etc cannot be compared because they wouldn't bridge between the two works.

If Kirito isn't in this live action series, how could you possibly compare him to his animated and written versions?

As someone who has read the SAO light novels, I'm frequently comparing them to the animated series. And, I've been very impressed at how accurately the anime adapts the novels. You can literally read the novels along with the anime and end up accurately narrating the plot. There are some differences, yes, but nothing that actually changes the plot or events within. Though, I will say that reading plot points gets you to see them in a different light than merely watching them.

That all being said, if the live action series tries to re-re-adapt the series, it will come under scrutiny for "changing this" or "not doing that" or "misinterpreting that." Basically, anything they do will be bad. Even if it would have otherwise been good, the fact that it's tethered as an adaptation would weigh down all of its positive merits. I don't understand why you would WANT that.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:43 am Reply with quote
For the record, the Game of Thrones TV show will sometimes overtake the novels due to George R.R. Martin's irregular release schedule. In those instances, they diverge from the source material, not unlike what happened with Fullmetal Alchemist and Blue Exorcist.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:06 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
That's not even remotely similar though. Firstly, let me just say I haven't read any of the source material of those shows nor have I ever watched any of those shows, period. But, going off of what I've heard, isn't The Walking Dead more of a spinoff rather than an adaptation?

.....Fear The Walking Dead is a spinoff, the main series? that's a direct adaptation of the original comic.

R315r4z0r wrote:
How would you feel about an animated Game of Thrones television series that rehashes all of the stuff the television series has done already?

Wouldn't really be bothered by it since I know not every one has watched the Live Action series plus there's a few things the animated series could do that couldn't be done in the TV show like big epic battles.

R315r4z0r wrote:

It be stupid, yes? Why make another series that is literally the exact same thing as its predecessor?

It wouldn't have to be the exact same thing as it's predecessor though, keep in mind one of the common criticisms of most adaptations is how they don't follow the source material down to the last detail not because they do.

R315r4z0r wrote:
Huh? No. It won't. It's, frankly, impossible to do that.

If people have read or watch something that then gets adapted into another medium how then is it impossible for them to compare it to the source material? which happens almost all the time.

R315r4z0r wrote:
The only thing you can compare is the universe. Characters, plot, events, etc cannot be compared because they wouldn't bridge between the two works.

Yeah I don't know what fandoms or messageboards you frequent but this does happen. Even in works that share some of those same aspects.

R315r4z0r wrote:

That all being said, if the live action series tries to re-re-adapt the series, it will come under scrutiny for "changing this" or "not doing that" or "misinterpreting that." Basically, anything they do will be bad.

Morton's Fork.

R315r4z0r wrote:
Even if it would have otherwise been good, the fact that it's tethered as an adaptation would weigh down all of its positive merits. I don't understand why you would WANT that.

I don't understand why you would want an original adaptation that would pretty much be considerably hard for people not familiar with the source material to understand. Whereas those who are would recognize certain elements but likely be divided on the material.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3