• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2017 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
CaitlinGlass wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
though the real head scratcher is why sword's VA use an alias this time in vanishing line? its as i said, its not over the top violent as with some series or overly sexual in rin or like in samurai girls/bride where some well known funi/adv VAs used alias for that time.

Could it be a union thing?

Winner, winner! So let's continue to call him T. Axelrod, cool? Wink

Thought I'd let you guys know about some fun casting stuff in the Garo world. All the anime Garo titles re-use the same actors, but in different capacities, and It's been my goal to to the same, whenever possible! So Sword in Vanishing Line and Douman in Crimson moon share a seiyuu in Japanese, and share a voice actor in English. You can find out more about that stuff in a video I posted to my twitter last week: https://twitter.com/caitlinsvoice/status/920763305664196608

Thanks for watching!
-Caitlin

we know that. its just way too confusing at times with the whole union/non-union thing shows up. especially for some of us like myself who was at animenext this year to listen on john swassey's panel on anime voice acting during the second day on the con.

regardless, i'm just glad the series getting an english dub at all considering that there were other released that didn't make the cut and vanishing line could have easily have been given a sub only treatment considering the whole state let alone the company must be facing hard times after that hurricane!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:47 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
we know that. its just way too confusing at times with the whole union/non-union thing shows up. especially for some of us like myself who was at animenext this year to listen on john swassey's panel on anime voice acting during the second day on the con.

regardless, i'm just glad the series getting an english dub at all considering that there were other released that didn't make the cut and vanishing line could have easily have been given a sub only treatment considering the whole state let alone the company must be facing hard times after that hurricane!

I live in Texas (west of Austin to be exact) and we weren't really affected by Hurricane Harvey aside from some strong rain and the usual raise in gas prices. Funimation is near Dallas (Flower Mound to be exact) which is further northeast so the hurricane really didn't affect their day to day operations either.

Now Sentai was most definitely hurt since they are based in Houston. The most it would do to Funi is prevent some talent from coming in to record because they share actors with Sentai who (as I stated before) live in Houston.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Enjoying reading the simuldub impressions coming in now that those have started. Need to check out a few more of them before the last couple come out.

CaitlinGlass wrote:
Winner, winner! So let's continue to call him T. Axelrod, cool? Wink

Thought I'd let you guys know about some fun casting stuff in the Garo world. All the anime Garo titles re-use the same actors, but in different capacities, and It's been my goal to to the same, whenever possible! So Sword in Vanishing Line and Douman in Crimson moon share a seiyuu in Japanese, and share a voice actor in English. You can find out more about that stuff in a video I posted to my twitter last week: https://twitter.com/caitlinsvoice/status/920763305664196608

Thanks for watching!
-Caitlin

Very cool. Great work so far on the new dub! Very Happy
Tentaigan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I’m downloading the first episodes of black clover. Hope they are good
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:14 am Reply with quote
I am genuinely surprised at how faithful the dub for A sister's all you need is towards the original script. Normally, something like this is ripe for extensive rewrites and a who really cares approach to voice direction. So, thank you anonymous ADR team for giving a damn
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:39 am Reply with quote
While it might not be the case for T. Axelrod, some LAVA (Los Angeles voice actors/actresses) can get around the non-union thing with "financial core". For those not in the know, this is a condition that lets union members do non-union work. What the exact rulings are I don't know.
Silent-Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
With the first English dubbed episode of The Ancient Magus' Bride available to watch, I can honestly say the voice acting sounds SO MUCH better than the dubbed promo trailer from several days ago. It doesn't even do the dub justice at all. Sure it would be nice to have British accents in it, but I'd rather hear great performances without fake accents. Monster's English dub is an excellent example of this, it takes place in Germany, and no one used German accents. In any case, I'm very pleased with it so far. Please keep the awesomeness going, Kyle (the ADR Director), and don't mess it up!

Thanks to this dub, I've finally figured out why the show didn't initially grow on me: Chise's Japanese voice sounded so boring for someone who's emotionally stunted in my opinion. It made it so difficult for me to empathise with her character, which is not a good thing in my eyes. With the English version, Dani Chambers' portrayal makes me feel like I want to empathise with her. You can feel the pain and torment she's suffered from her traumatized past. Most importantly, she doesn't sound boring whatsoever.

Even Elias sounds fantastic! Sure it's a different interpretation of the character, but it still fits very well. Brian Mathis' portrayal gives off a more commanding yet sweet tone to his voice, while still remaining deep. Never heard of this guy before and it's so refreshing to hear from the typical voice actors we normally hear in dubs.

The Ancient Magus' Bride always stood out to me as one of the those anime series to be preferably watched in English over Japanese. It has incredible potential to be the case. I'm still watching the original Japanese version to keep up with the story, of course.

Last edited by Silent-Ninja on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
CaitlinGlass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

I haven't watched the season 1 dub so I wasn't aware of how they translated Mari's speech but Mari is literally, canonically half Italian so why Funimation didn't think to make her say random Italian phrases I don't know. Why French? She's Italian. It seems so obvious.

Hey- Caitlin here, I direct the dub, and also wrote the first Love Live ADR scripts and played Maki Wink Regarding Mari's speech, she is part Italian, and American as well. In the Japanese version, she often speaks English, reflecting her heritage and that she'd studied abroad. With a dub, we aim to leave the same impression on the audience as the original version, so if Mari used to switch from speaking Japanese to speaking English, in the English dub, she should switch to something else. Italian seemed to make the most sense. We try to stick to cognates and using known Italian phrases, so viewers aren't left feeling confused. Mari's use of a second language is an important part of her personality, so it was key to keep it intact in the dub.

Hope that clears up any confusion! Thanks for watching!

-CG
stannisbaratheon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:16 am Reply with quote
Himouto Umaru Chan is not the funniest, but it's probably one of the cutest shows I've ever seen. I find myself addicted to it, not because of it's story or plot or even comedy but I watch it like 10 times a week just because of it's freakin cuteness, that is the main sell of Umaru-Chan, not fanservice or incredible comedy, but just laid back cuteness
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 37 of 37