• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Anime-Gataris

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
So, Answerman columns should now all just link to this anime. Laughing

And what is the deal with the athletic friend of Minoa? Based on the credits she's never joining the Anime Club (and doesn't need to) so why do they keep going to shots of her? Question

Isn't that her sister?

Also, yeah, was amused by the economic lessons and more this episode. Always a funny show. Even if the actual plot is pretty basic, it's got a lot of fun ideas and the references are on point. This episodes "Aquino vomiting" comment was perfect. Laughing
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
This show isn’t going to light the world on fire, but it’s been pretty enjoyable thus far. It’s got a lot of that good old-fashioned heart I like in shows that helps make it as charming as it is. Plus, the references are still pretty humorous. (For Ep. 4, I enjoyed the nods to Konosuba, Seitokai Yakuindomo, and of course, Anime Expo) But C+, in my opinion, is a little low for this week. I was expecting a B-, but oh well. Interested in seeing more regardless.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Isn't that her sister?

Nope, its her friend that she was talking to in the first episode (and hasn't really interacted with since IIRC)
https://myanimelist.net/character/152873/Yui_Obata

I'm not sure which would bother me more at this point, if she has some ham-fisted reason to be relevant to the plot (which at this point would be TOTALLY out of left field) or if she DOESN'T (yet inexplicably keeps being presented).

edit: I guess the one exception to the above is if in the final episode or so they make some statement about animators' favorite "minor" character ala Tenten in Naruto.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
While I will admit that Ancient Magus Bride and Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond have been overall better shows, I have to say that I'm finding AnimeGataris by far the most fun. Yeah, its stupid and silly, but every episode so far has been a blast to watch.

Joshua Zarate wrote:
Plus, the references are still pretty humorous. (For Ep. 4, I enjoyed the nods to Konosuba, Seitokai Yakuindomo, and of course, Anime Expo)

Wasn't KeiKei and the microwave a Steins Gate reference?
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

edit: I guess the one exception to the above is if in the final episode or so they make some statement about animators' favorite "minor" character ala Tenten in Naruto.

I mean, she is pretty cute, so.. Cool
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
Wasn't KeiKei and the microwave a Steins Gate reference?

Could be. But then I don’t remember the microwave exploding in Steins;Gate unless it somehow it managed to slip me by when I first watched it 3 years ago. Still humorous here, though, in my opinion.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:03 am Reply with quote
That anime Jenga was a trove of references, from Chaos Mad Nova (not sure - Chaos;Head?), a shot of Black Lagoon's Roberta on a cover, Kuro Kuro Parfait (if I'm reading that right - with Polar Bear on the box), another nod to MAOYU (MAOEI Vol.3), Autumn Wars, something I think called "Replica" (レプリカ), but I can't see the art well enough to guess what it's riffing, Wonderland Hearts (Pandora Hearts, probably) and whatever this is:

I can't place it and it's driving me nuts.

And she bought way more than 3500 bucks worth. At Japanese prices, that'd be somewhere between 35-40 BDs (which is also funny because they have a CRT tv - maybe a flatscreen will be their next purchase).
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:48 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
That anime Jenga was a trove of references, from Chaos Mad Nova (not sure - Chaos;Head?), a shot of Black Lagoon's Roberta on a cover, Kuro Kuro Parfait (if I'm reading that right - with Polar Bear on the box), another nod to MAOYU (MAOEI Vol.3), Autumn Wars, something I think called "Replica" (レプリカ), but I can't see the art well enough to guess what it's riffing, Wonderland Hearts (Pandora Hearts, probably) and whatever this is:

I can't place it and it's driving me nuts.

And she bought way more than 3500 bucks worth. At Japanese prices, that'd be somewhere between 35-40 BDs (which is also funny because they have a CRT tv - maybe a flatscreen will be their next purchase).

That's Tanaka-kun is Always Listless, I think!

Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
Hmm, that's closer than anything I've found, but I don't think that's it. The -rake seems like it should be a clue as much as the color boxes. My first thought was Nozake-kun, but that's not it. Arrggh.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
^That box was already seen in episode 2, with the full title being Tamura-kun wa Itsumo Kedarake ("Tamura-kun is always hairy/furry"). The author of the post also notes that it had been mentioned in episode 1 as a currently airing show, yet there's already a disc of it out..
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
Fair enough, but the color box design still rings a bell for something else. It's also nothing like the cover of the Japanese BD releases, even if the title is a clear reference to it. Smile

Thanks for the info!
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
^That box was already seen in episode 2, with the full title being Tamura-kun wa Itsumo Kedarake ("Tamura-kun is always hairy/furry"). The author of the post also notes that it had been mentioned in episode 1 as a currently airing show, yet there's already a disc of it out..

That's a great blog. Thanks!
Amiantos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:36 am Reply with quote
As much as I enjoy this series I'm likely to drop it if the student council plot keeps coming back. It's such forced drama that really degrades the fun the show could actually be.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:00 pm Reply with quote
On the topic of Minoa's Dad possibly being there. Lending credence to that is the line not just that he was going to be gone that day, but he also used a pretty similar excuse to Minoa, that he was meeting up with friends by the sea. So yeah, it'll be interesting to see if they do anything with that.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:43 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
it'll be interesting to see if they do anything with that.

I bet they will, also there was in episode 1 a depressed guy on the street (the one that grabbed the hat), I also expect them to go back to him later. There is also Minoa's dream sequence, I expect a big (or ridiculous) reveal later on. The only detail that seems to exist for the sake of it is the talking cat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6