• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Video News Recap

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
It's clear that autoplay is, with the exception of BVerfG, universally despised. This leads me to wonder why the decision-makers at ANN thought it was a good idea.

Don't you use the internet? Do you enjoy autoplay when you unexpectedly encounter it? Did some advertising consultant (who are trained in the demonic arts) slip this in without your approval? I thought I knew a little about the personalities running the show here, but now I'm not so sure. Who are you people?! Shocked
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:09 pm Reply with quote
seriously, why autoplay?

a lot of people find it annoying. a lot of neurodivergent people can be negatively affected by it. some people with physical health issues can be triggered by it too - really, sounds, especially unexpected ones, can even potentially trigger seizures in some people with epilepsy!

when I say autoplay is evil what I actually mean is it's annoying in general and potentially harmful to people who aren't your typical neurotypical able-bodied "normal" person.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Considering the avalanche of disapproval for auto-play on display here, the contrarian in me is almost tempted to register a new username and post that "I totally lurvs me some autoplay!!!" But that would be a damn, dirty lie.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It's clear that autoplay is, with the exception of BVerfG, universally despised. This leads me to wonder why the decision-makers at ANN thought it was a good idea.

Don't you use the internet? Do you enjoy autoplay when you unexpectedly encounter it? Did some advertising consultant (who are trained in the demonic arts) slip this in without your approval? I thought I knew a little about the personalities running the show here, but now I'm not so sure. Who are you people?! Shocked

Christopher noted in the invasive ads thread that the autoplay was not intentional. But since it was already on the site, he figured they'd seek feedback.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I see. Well, they certainly got feedback! Very Happy
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:15 am Reply with quote
The content of the video is perfectly fine, the location however isn't nor is the autoplay.

For a weekend digest/Week in Review it really should be it's own article with a known release time so people can actually check in to see if there's anything they've missed.
asukas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:39 am Reply with quote
My big issue has already been brought up, but autoplay.... auhughgughg. I have a chronic pain condition that is worsened by loud noises, and accidentally scrolling too far and triggering a video to start yelling at me is a complete nightmare. It'd be so much better if the videos were somewhere we could specifically seek them out and watch them, and they don't sneak up outta nowhere!

I like the general idea a lot, I'd just prefer it a lot more if it was posted just like an article or something and we could choose to watch it.

Thanks a lot for listening to our feedback! I hope this was helpful.
annasartin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:14 am Reply with quote
As long as they auto-play I won't be sharing anymore ANN articles. They're annoying and it's not fair to subject my friends to things that are non-voluntary. I don't dislike the clips themselves, but putting them in articles really isn't a great idea.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:57 am Reply with quote
First article clicked on today was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Blocked!
Melicans

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:07 am Reply with quote
I can see why the autoplay is on (the video location means that most people probably wouldn't notice them, let alone click on them, otherwise) but god damn it is nasty. The first time I was reading an article with one I scrolled down to click the forum discussion link and out of nowhere the ad starts playing. Loudly.

I was drinking a cup of tea at the time. It was hot. And my best shirt for interviews is now ruined. Thanks for that, really. Hot liquid splashed on my skin and a permanent stain on my shirt. Wonderful.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:09 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Considering the avalanche of disapproval for auto-play on display here, the contrarian in me is almost tempted to register a new username and post that "I totally lurvs me some autoplay!!!" But that would be a damn, dirty lie.

I weep for the "AutoplayLover420" that could have been. Laughing
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
When I rule the world, autoplaying videos will be illegal.
FierceAlchemist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't feel strongly about the content of the videos one way or the other put PLEASE TURN AUTOPLAY OFF! If I'm browsing a story on my lunch break at work I don't want music to suddenly start blasting out of my speakers.
Panon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I removed ANN from my adblock whitelist because of them.

Autoplaying video summaries are a scourge that have showed up on just about every news or sports site anywhere these days - and they're bad everywhere, without exception. I read news articles to read news articles.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:31 am Reply with quote
Get rid of them. They chew up memory, chew up bandwidth, distort the page, and add no value (from my point of view, they decrease value). I think I'll give the site a wide berth until they're gone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9