• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Goblin Slayer Light Novel Series Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:48 am Reply with quote
Hopefully it won't be toned down to meet American puritanism. It will be up to the dice on whether it is mildly toned down for broadcast, worse things have been shown on TV.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:57 am Reply with quote
For those that have read the LN, is the Cow Girl the lady most likely to become the wife or girlfriend of the titular character by the series finale?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Hope they don't turn down the rape, wherever people care for it or not, it is part of the dark fantasy appeal, this isn't your normal fantasy. Same with Berserk.

Yeah you can still have a dark fantasy story without graphically depicting rape scenes for the sake of it. I mean if you perceive that as a prerequisite for needing to tell a story in a genre such as this that's a problem.
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Hope they don't turn down the rape, wherever people care for it or not, it is part of the dark fantasy appeal, this isn't your normal fantasy. Same with Berserk.

Yeah you can still have a dark fantasy story without graphically depicting rape scenes for the sake of it. I mean if you perceive that as a prerequisite for needing to tell a story in a genre such as this that's a problem.

And in the first place, said scenes were described in a more matter of fact way in only a few lines in the LN rather than the extra titillation pumped into them for the manga adaptation.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Ragdollomega wrote:
And in the first place, said scenes were described in a more matter of fact way in only a few lines in the LN rather than the extra titillation pumped into them for the manga adaptation.

I wouldn't even describe it as "said scenes were described in a more matter of fact way in only a few lines in the LN". It's more like every time there is a female character screaming off-screen anywhere in the novels, it gets turned into a 5-page lurid rape sequence in the manga.

rahzel rose wrote:
This is reassuring because I'm intrigued about the series as a whole, but I am absolutely not down for the rape aspect of it at all.

On another note, everyone keeps mentioning the gore. And while I'm mostly okay with animated violence, I kind of like to know what I'm getting into so I'm not blindsided by it. On a scale of Gantz to Devilman Crybaby . . . ?

It's basically Marvel's Punisher comic book in fantasy anime form. Goblin Slayer is a dark vigilante whose family got killed by goblins, so he goes around slaughtering goblins and developed a vast and very specialized arsenal for it. The result is that yes, it's violent, but almost in a "dark humor" way. The main character essentially functions like a Rube Goldberg machine where he has six dozen plans for every situation and he's very good at executing them all, so he escalates every situation to a degree where there are explosions and blood everywhere while the rest of his party stand back and wonder what they did to deserve this.

There is a scene where it comes out that he owns a magic scroll powerful enough to take out a small army, which he kept on his person just in case if he had to take out a few hundred more goblins than usual on that particular day. That should just about explain what kind of tone you should be expecting from the series' tone, combat-wise.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Sounds promising from all of the hype in the thread, looking forward to it!

Takkun4343 wrote:
First Akame ga KILL!, then Re:Zero, now Goblin Slayer. WHITE FOX sure loves their violent fantasy adaptations.

Nice.

Ashabel wrote:
It's basically Marvel's Punisher comic book in fantasy anime form. Goblin Slayer is a dark vigilante whose family got killed by goblins, so he goes around slaughtering goblins and developed a vast and very specialized arsenal for it. The result is that yes, it's violent, but almost in a "dark humor" way. The main character essentially functions like a Rube Goldberg machine where he has six dozen plans for every situation and he's very good at executing them all, so he escalates every situation to a degree where there are explosions and blood everywhere while the rest of his party stand back and wonder what they did to deserve this.

There is a scene where it comes out that he owns a magic scroll powerful enough to take out a small army, which he kept on his person just in case if he had to take out a few hundred more goblins than usual on that particular day. That should just about explain what kind of tone you should be expecting from the series' tone, combat-wise.

Very cool.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
For those that have read the LN, is the Cow Girl the lady most likely to become the wife or girlfriend of the titular character by the series finale?

No not really. spoiler[ She's more of a childhood friend to the main character, and with the one track mind he has got with goblins, its not very clear at the moment.]
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:22 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
palom wrote:
Sunny milk wrote:

Quote:
surrounded by random harem

...and into the trash it goes.

Technically the Goblin Slayer party is composed by 3 men and 2 women.

One is a pure hearted priestess who only cares for him as a partner (at least from what I can see) and the other is legal loli high elf who looks at him as an eccentric and socially ackward but reliable party member. Not really much on romance so far

While not part of the party theres still the cowgirl though its kinda hard to say whether she's into him or just cares for him like a sibling

I'd say Cow Girl cares for him as more than a friend in some respect spoiler[seeing as how she got a bit jealous when she saw him talking to Preistess when they were in the guild.] I'd also say Guild Girl likes him a bit as well, spoiler[or that could just be that he's willing to do the goblin jobs no one else wants to.] She does seem to genuinely care about his well-being though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4