• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: [New Life+] Young Again in Another World Anime Cast Resigns After Creator's Apology for Contro

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:11 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

You're actually wrong in that regard. If you actually read the novel, it is very ambiguous who he killed, as it said he joined a Chinese mafia, and it never explicitly stated World War II.

From what I have read, the situation is a bit complicated:

There is no doubt that the official published version made it no mention of the specific war and only mentions the killing in order to make the main protagonist sounds like a total badass (albeit the execution is poor).

However the web version (the version he submitted on the Novelist Website for public viewing before it was noticed by publishers and published) did mention that directly, although no details too specific beyond the name and number killing either.

But [NEW LIFE] was officially licensed and published digitally in China, and the website posts BOTH VERSIONS to the subscribers. There were complaints, but nothing too major. When the anime was announced, more people took notice, and some start brought up that info bit from the web version, and you know what happened next...

I would blame the Chinese licensors for posting both (they are asking for trouble) without thinking too ahead for now, beyond that, no point to get more political that it should be.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:40 am Reply with quote
One less harem there is.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:48 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
This case shows one of the many problems Japanese animation had, along Animators' overwork and oversaturation: It's more than obvious the people behind animating this stuff never bothered to check the author's background, nor the legal department bothered to do their work. As a result, they wasted the effort, time and money of all the people involved in the project.

I do not think you know what you are talking about at all. It is not the job nor the responsibility of an animation studio to run a background check on whatever project the committee studio pays them to create. If any time and money was wasted I would not blame the studio committee, since complainers are making a mountain out of a mole, the light novel in itself has nothing against the chinese people and whatever personal opinions the author are only that, opinions. If the author were part of an organized group or political party with anti-chinese agenda that would be different. Heck, if he were one of those personalities that go to tv variety programs to talk against the chinese it would be different. If he had harassed chinese IRL it would be different. But nothing like that has happened, otherwise it would have already been mentioned.

Afezeria wrote:
One less harem there is.

I bet they are going to do another romcom harem instead *insert ogon bat laughter here*
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:56 am Reply with quote

Afezeria wrote:
One less harem there is

I bet they are going to do another romcom harem instead *insert ogon bat laughter here*

Why stop there, mi amigo, how about an Iseikai-Reincarnation romcom harem instead? Wink (Wait, isn't that Death March from last season *shot*)

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:08 am Reply with quote
Well, this was unexpected. I didn't expect the author to even apologize for this, let alone for there to be any serious ramifications.

But to the people assuming the show is going to be cancelled, you may be jumping the gun. As the article notes, the anime's website is still up in Japan. There's a decent chance everyone involved in the production may just lay low for a bit to let this blow over and then proceed like nothing ever happened (a la the recent incident with Rurouni Kenshin).
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:13 am Reply with quote
G S Palmer wrote:
There's a decent chance everyone involved in the production may just lay low for a bit to let this blow over and then proceed like nothing ever happened (a la the recent incident with Rurouni Kenshin).

Quite unlikely since the production committee most likely needs the revenue from china to pay for the animation budget and with all the bad publicity this series has over ther it is almost a given that the chinese government will ban it so why wait until then to scratch it and make something else, it is not like the first time an anime project has been shelved, it is the first time it has happened on plain sight though.

Engineering Nerd wrote:
Why stop there, mi amigo, how about a an Iseikai-Reincarnation romcom harem instead? Wink (Wait, isn't that Death March from last season *shot*)

No, it is this season The Master of Ragnarok & Blesser of Einherjar and in fall we will have anyway Sword Art Online: Alicization *There is no escape from the realm of romcoms and harems*

Last edited by mangamuscle on Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
ecchigas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:17 am Reply with quote
so many Chinese people thanking the voice actors on twitter for not taking the role
wow
another day, another win for the Chinese
otagirl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:29 am Reply with quote
All these anti-Chinese posts are sickening.

This has always been a double standard around the world. Any racism, hate speech and discrimination is not tolerated, except when it comes ti Chinese people as though we're not human. Disgusting hypocrites
casenumber00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:12 am Reply with quote
I am torn between the idea that the author sounds like a straight up racist but China is slowly but surely becoming more tyrannical as we recently saw from the president, Xi Jinping, use efforts to permanently abolish term limits while convincing the people this is a good thing.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:26 am Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:
I am torn between the idea that the author sounds like a straight up racist but China is slowly but surely becoming more tyrannical as we recently saw from the president, Xi Jinping, use efforts to permanently abolish term limits while convincing the people this is a good thing.

I certainly understand your sentiments. But I am not sure it is fair to let one leader to represent the view of 1.4 billion people, not to mention there are different factions and numerous interest groups. I mean...you won’t accuse us Americans being conservative just because Trump is our leader, right? (I hope not )

I digress, we are getting a bit off topic here. Anyway, since the main actor and actresses resigned and unlikely to find new ones before October premiere. The show will most likely postponed or canceled.
Half Life

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:08 am Reply with quote
I really wish clarity would come back to common english use. Case in point: Chinese, Korean and Japanese are not races, they are nationalities. The correct way to describe what is happening is extreme nationalism, NOT "racism". All 3 nationalities are of the exact same race (though none of them seem to want to admit it). This "social sciences" (there is a euphemism) idea that races are anything and everything is totally non-scientific. As a result of this malicious mangling of the english language, the word "racist" is rapidly losing any power to meaningfully describe any specific behavior and is instead devolving to simply mean "bad-thought about people who are not exactly like you". In the exact same way that when everybody is compared to Hitler the comparison is rendered meaningless and the impact of Hitler himself is psychologically watered down.

I feel the same way about the fact that religions get conflated with races as well. If you criticize Islam you are not criticizing a race -- in fact many races are part of Islam, since just as many Asians and Africans are part of Islam as there are Arabs. The idea that somebody like Dawkins is accused of racism because he criticizes Islam is mind-numbing. He criticizes ALL religions period. That set of ideas should not get a pass from intellectual scrutiny just because of the color of the skin of some of it believers.

So yes, this author guy is definitely a rabid Japanese nationalist -- which is fairly common among Japanese AND Chinese. But the conflict there is not that different than what the English and French often said and did to each other over the course many wars in European history... and I doubt anybody is foolish enough to try to assert English and French people are of a different race or that those actions and words were "racially" motivated.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:13 am Reply with quote
It's still ridiculous that they waited until the anime announcement to start being overly dramatic. The author was wrong in his remarks that's a fact but it's been years since the beginning, they could and should have start complaning sooner rather than making a fuss once the production start ( or rather months after it started ), now it's pretty much assured to be cancel, for the studio it's nothing more than a waste of time, energy and budget that could be used for another project. I enjoy this LN so far, too bad.

Last edited by Yune Amagiri on Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:13 am Reply with quote
Any day an isekai harem romcom gets cancelled is a good day.

"I have f*cked my life up completely because I was unlucky and/or made some really bad choices, so probably when I die I'll go to a really magical place, and I'll magically become the coolest person ever was and all the pretty girls will swoon over me and fight each other for me."

I find this statement much more universal and abhorring than any racist or sexist remarks included in it. Since it's the definition of escapism, it's a given the writer will make it so all things unpleasant to him will be cut down. No surprises there.

There is nothing wrong with being given a second chance (ReLife) but you need to realize that you have to work in order to gain anything. (Re: ZERO)

And most important of all: It's downright BORING! It's been done a thousand times before! Just stop it! Just for the love of God write something else! Why the hell did this become a trend?
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:24 am Reply with quote
@ Chocoreto ^The MC actually lived a full, satisfied life where he was a world renowned swordsman and blacksmith and one of his works was even made a national treasure. Just saying Wink. His memory was erased when he was revived tho.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:38 am Reply with quote
Chocoreto wrote:
And most important of all: It's downright BORING! It's been done a thousand times before! Just stop it! Just for the love of God write something else! Why the hell did this become a trend?

There are plenty of peoples who enjoy them so why should they stop them ? If you don't like them too bad for you but let's stop exaggerating, among the ~150-200 news animes every years, not even 5% are isekai harem. I won't deny that it became a repetitive genre for LN and recently most localized one were isekai but there will always be good and bad series it does not matter whether the genre is Isekai harem or another one, there are plenty of good Isekai harem. If we had to criticize every genre that have repeat the same pattern tons of time, none of them would be spared so let's stop criticize this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4