• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Blu-Ray Disc Box Sets in November

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Is it going to cost an arm and a leg?

Good thing I have the Funimation Blu-Rays plus the OVAs[/u]
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I have been working towards buying Fullmetal Alchemist on DVD/Blue ray while they are still plentiful enough, and concerning Brotherhood I only have part 1 so far. I am glad Brotherhood can be available to buy once again, but from what I have read in this forum the it's going to be an expensive buy. What should I do . . .?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:57 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Kill la Kill box set when? It’s basically OOP too...

I wouldn't say it's "basically OOP": I literally can't find a few of the sets anywhere (Amazon, Right Stuf, eBay, RACS, etc), or at least couldn't last I checked.
Aquasakura wrote:
I have been working towards buying Fullmetal Alchemist on DVD/Blue ray while they are still plentiful enough, and concerning Brotherhood I only have part 1 so far. I am glad Brotherhood can be available to buy once again, but from what I have read in this forum the it's going to be an expensive buy. What should I do . . .?

Assuming you mean part 1 of the complete collection, part 2 is going for about $240 new/$180 used on Amazon right now, so it would actually be cheaper to buy the Aniplex set, since it's going for $100 apiece for two sets. And if you don't care about how your shelf looks, you could just get part 2, since part 1 of Funi's complete collection contains episodes 1-33 and part 2 of Aniplex's set contains eps 31-64, so they overlap. Of course, that would mean you would miss out on the two OVAs included with part one of the Aniplex release (Funimation released the OVAs separately, and they're going for about $100 new/$50 used right now). But still, it would probably be the best to get the Aniplex set in the long run, since it would still be cheaper to buy both parts than to buy part 2 of Funi's set. Unless you can find it for cheap on eBay.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that price actually isn't bad for Aniplex. Looks like I'll pick up the Aniplex Blu Rays for the original whenever they get around to that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:19 pm Reply with quote
G S Palmer wrote:

Assuming you mean part 1 of the complete collection, part 2 is going for about $240 new/$180 used on Amazon right now, so it would actually be cheaper to buy the Aniplex set, since it's going for $100 apiece for two sets. And if you don't care about how your shelf looks, you could just get part 2, since part 1 of Funi's complete collection contains episodes 1-33 and part 2 of Aniplex's set contains eps 31-64, so they overlap. Of course, that would mean you would miss out on the two OVAs included with part one of the Aniplex release (Funimation released the OVAs separately, and they're going for about $100 new/$50 used right now). But still, it would probably be the best to get the Aniplex set in the long run, since it would still be cheaper to buy both parts than to buy part 2 of Funi's set. Unless you can find it for cheap on eBay.

Thanks G S Plamer and concerning the OVAs, I believe I do already own them. I bought the Premium OVA Collection a little while back as a means to try to get all of the FMA anime on DVD/Bluerays. Also, I was referring to part 1 of the collection of FMA Brotherhood anime and I purchase that on ebay as I found a seller that was selling it way cheaper compared to the options on amazon. It was thanks to my sister who told me I should shop around instead of looking at only one option (which was amazon for me), and I am glad I did. I was planning to get part two from ebay at some point as I also found it for a good price. Hopefully it's still there. If not, and if I can't find it cheaper anywhere else, then I would buy the one from Aniplex as my last resort.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Kill la Kill box set when? It’s basically OOP too...

Yeah, KLK was one of the shows I couldn't resist and bought the singles. And so I could split up the cost since AoA's box sets, especially since it would have been 25 eps, were even crazier priced back then, if they even did one, which wasn't really a guarantee back then.

It seems like now there's a pretty good chance they will eventually at least actually do one though, since they're doing that complete set for Irregular, which I didn't really expect.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:08 pm Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyDx3WeK9Dw

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=15218714&postcount=1948

(I do write-ups on the Blu-ray dot com forums in the anime section, and I have proof. I can give you more evidence to prove what videophiles like me already know about FUNi and their lackluster encoding, if you're not satisfied.)

I'm not satisfied but I'm also quite amused by it. It's almost as if they're just looping the same image over and over when anime has those... rare? Is it rare?... static shots.

Luckily for me, I'm not a videophile and I don't have to have anime in 6 episode per BD disc "glory".
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:
Zeino wrote:
professorwho wrote:

The FUNi Blu-rays are badly encoded, with tons of banding and aliasing at an insanely low bitrate. The Aniplex release will surely be better, as it's not hard to top FUNi's crap.

Do you have documented proof needed to back up that claim of yours? Because otherwise I'm writing you off as a Aniplex shill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyDx3WeK9Dw

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=15218714&postcount=1948

(I do write-ups on the Blu-ray dot com forums in the anime section, and I have proof. I can give you more evidence to prove what videophiles like me already know about FUNi and their lackluster encoding, if you're not satisfied.)

Lol, oh I could go on for DAYS about the problems I have with Funimation in general in addition to their video issues. Frankly at least I know this version won't be edited and likely allow me to turn off the subs if I watch in Japanese.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:39 pm Reply with quote
If I didn't own FUNi's sets I'd be looking overseas. AoA can continue to do its own pants-on-head thing without me.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:57 pm Reply with quote
That's very pricey for such an Old show. Not like it matters anyway. Aniplex doesn't sell their shows on Canadian stores. No way I am paying 200 USD*1.4 + shipping.

Maybe one day they'll realize we Canadians are part of NA too.

Knowing AoA has Kimetsu stills bothers me.
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:58 pm Reply with quote
As I mentioned in my previous post I bought Mahouka the entire series which was 3 sets and paid double what this new complete set is going to cost. If I had waited which is not a short amount of time 3 years I could of got it at a 50 percent discount.

Another series I was planning to get but can still get was Sword Art Online Season 1. At first I really wanted the limited edition sets their were 4 of them a 90 bucks a pop. Could I afford 360 dollars at the time for them sure I could but I didn't want to spend that kind of money for a set of blu rays. Did I complain and shake my fist in anger that it was too much and a rip off, no I did not. I chose not to buy it but if I really wanted the sets I would have bought them.

Now I after several years and not as much free time on my hands I could buy the newer complete set for 160 dollars a 200 dollar discount over the previous limited edition sets. If it was that price to begin with I would have just caved and bought it. Now that I'm not as a big fan of Sword Art Online probably won't buy the newer cheaper release not because of the price I just don't like the show as much as I did when it aired.

When the new Gun Gale Alternative comes out I'll buy it no matter the price because I'm really into that season and I'm fortunate to have a well paying job.

As for Kill la Kill the single discs are still available so you can still get the complete series it's just the Limted Editions a number of the singles are out of print. I really wanted those but waited too long and missed my chance. During Rightstuf's christmas sale last year I did get the singles for much cheaper than the usual price so saved a little money.

Last edited by Dfens on Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:22 pm Reply with quote
$200 for all of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is...very affordable actually. Good on Aniplex USA for showing good judgement. I was so sure that it was going to be divided into 4 parts, each costing $120-150.

I was considering double dipping if AoA released it with extras like booklets, soundtracks and sturdy packaging with great art work, but it looks like I will not have to.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Well good thing I pick this up when Funi have it just dont really want to go into prostitution to get Aniplex high prices to get it or most of there stuff
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I have everything funimation has released, so im all set. Though, it is nice its back in print.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:39 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
That's very pricey for such an Old show. Not like it matters anyway. Aniplex doesn't sell their shows on Canadian stores. No way I am paying 200 USD*1.4 + shipping.

Maybe one day they'll realize we Canadians are part of NA too.

Sorry you are in that situation. it would be nice if the/those show(s) you are interested in can be available to where you live so you can get them more easily. However, I would say the reason it's like this for Aniplex is because that company is a U.S base business instead of a North American one. This is not like the case with Nintendo of America, for example, in which they do cater to both countries.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4