• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Goblin Slayer [2018-10-14]

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:51 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I'm having trouble seeing what there is to discuss further, given that one of you has read the LN and the other hasn't, and the primary argument is about whether the LN and manga(/anime) deviate in tone. How can that conversation possibly be productive? It seems to mostly just consist of one person saying "Here's where I think the tonal difference is." and the other person saying "No, I haven't read that, and I don't believe you." It's not like that's the kind of gulf that's overcome through reasoned conversation..

I just want to be clear here. While you might not think this was productive, it has made me invest into reading the Light Novels.

As of the end of Volume 1 Chapter 1 i cannot see much difference between the show, the manga or this product. What i can state about the differences that exist are largely due to the differences in the story telling medium. The LN only implies what goblins do thus far, the manga is way more explicit and the anime is a middle ground between them. However that to me isn't what was being stated.

Additionally, there was something stated to the effects of there being a large prologue of which must be Year 0 either that or i have the wrong books.

Either way, i'm going to continue to read and play spot the differences.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:29 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Additionally, there was something stated to the effects of there being a large prologue of which must be Year 0 either that or i have the wrong books.

Ashael did specifically mention Year One, which is a prequel novel rather than the main story. I haven't read it myself, but I'm pretty sure that's what was being referred to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:03 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
TexZero wrote:

Ashael did specifically mention Year One, which is a prequel novel rather than the main story. I haven't read it myself, but I'm pretty sure that's what was being referred to.

Which is just stupid to include in the argument because it's something that wasn't being adapted. It has its OWN manga adaptation, incidentally.

Since it's a prologue, I presume it doesn't involve Slayer. Which means it's not actually about him. It's worldbuilding that isn't part of the actual books being adapted, and doesn't have any direct link to him. These are the sort of things that become their OWN series, like the Danmachi and SAOAlternative sides.

I'm not entirely sure, but I *think* that anything that happens in other books besides the main series have to be negotiated separately for any adaptations. Side stories and bonus chapters and such that are included in manga volumes or novels seem to be included in the contract for that specific book series.

In other words, despite being in the same world, Lord of the Rings had to be done separately from the Hobbit, and Fantastic Beasts had to be done separate from Harry Potter.

Of course, I'm just guessing about that, but based on everything I've seen it seems to be the case.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:09 am Reply with quote
Once again great strategy and thinking by Goblin Slayer to defeat the king.

I was always impressed by his battle wits throughout this series.

Cool how he showed his face to everyone, i like everyone's reaction to it making it feel like a really big deal.

More to come, I am very interested with that ending, I do want to see more, I do like my fix or hacking and slaying anime's like this every now and then.

8/10
NPC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:03 am Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
Kendra Kirai wrote:
Actually, I think it seems fairly clear that the manga *is* the source material for this anime. ...
That would seem to be the case at first glance, but the anime does actually feature content that the novels have and the manga doesn't.
This is not an argument. Anime does actually feature content that the manga have and novels don't. For example, huge chunks of episodes 11 and 12. Most of the events of farm defense are taken directly from manga with minimal modifications and completely absent in light novels. Just to avoid your usual hand waving, here is full description of second stage of fight in the field from LN:
Quote:
Deep within the enemy ranks, however, they could see a vast form tower up, silhouetted against the moon.
“There it is! A hob— Wait, is it?”
“GURAURAURAURAURAUUUU!!”
The great roar rolled across the bloodied battlefield.
The creature was so large it could have been taken for an ogre. It held a club stained with blood and brains. A goblin champion.
A goblin, yes, but one so powerful it could single-handedly turn the tide of battle.
Far be it for any adventurer, though, to back down from a challenge just because it was twice their size and carried a big stick.
“Ahhh, there’s the big one! I was getting tired of these small-fries!” The heavy warrior was the first to dive at the champion, with his weapon on his shoulder and a wild laugh on his lips. Rolling her eyes, Knight followed him, with her shield up.
“Just when I was busy counting up how many goblin heads I’d collected,” she said.
“Count ’em later! Fight now!”
“You warriors have such one-track minds.” With this banter, they happily jumped into battle against the new foe.
All over the field, weapons rang against one another, and blood spurted into the air.

This is it.

Ashabel wrote:
second and third chapters that draws dialogue from all three but then trims all of it so it often either misses the original dialogue's point, or the point is altered entirely.
About "points" - blatant lie. Just give us few examples, "put up or shut up".

I know you will go with the second option. You tried to complain about specifics, but, confronted, immediately abandoned these claims and switched to "everything is wrong, I am so disappointed and if you are not you should feel bad about yourself." Good idea if your arguments don't hold water.

Adaptation is reasonably faithful to light novels. Nothing major was lost or altered. It can't be absolutely faithful because books and anime/manga are vastly different in presentation. Complaining about it doesn't elevate you over unwashed masses, it is just silly.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:56 am Reply with quote
NPC wrote:
About "points" - blatant lie. Just give us few examples, "put up or shut up".

I know you will go with the second option. You tried to complain about specifics, but, confronted, immediately abandoned these claims and switched to "everything is wrong, I am so disappointed and if you are not you should feel bad about yourself." Good idea if your arguments don't hold water.

Adaptation is reasonably faithful to light novels. Nothing major was lost or altered. It can't be absolutely faithful because books and anime/manga are vastly different in presentation. Complaining about it doesn't elevate you over unwashed masses, it is just silly.

You don't seem to have understood why I didn't respond to your previous post. You seem to think it's because I didn't have counter-arguments and counter-examples to your extremely selective quoting of the original novel, whereas in reality I didn't do that because your post was a bloody minefield.

I didn't respond to you because your post contained at least three personal insults that I knew full well you hoped I would respond to, so you would then cry foul and claim I'm making the argument personal. Your current post does the same, simply because you know full well that I can produce those counter-examples and so you hope to simply bully me into losing my temper and then report me to the mods.

To put it simply, I'm not trying to argue with you specifically because you specifically are too vile to argue with. I will however report you to the mods for attempting to force a personal attack. Have a good day.

Kendra Kirai wrote:
Since it's a prologue, I presume it doesn't involve Slayer. Which means it's not actually about him. It's worldbuilding that isn't part of the actual books being adapted, and doesn't have any direct link to him. These are the sort of things that become their OWN series, like the Danmachi and SAOAlternative sides.

Year One covers Goblin Slayer's very first year in the adventuring business, thus the title that is a direct reference to Batman: Year One. It's arguably more about him than the main novels because it spends much more time in his own head than the other books. The novels switch perspective frequently and while Guild Girl and Priestess get to be the audience's point of view a lot, Slayer himself only gets two or three chapters in the first volume alone.

Kendra Kirai wrote:
Which is just stupid to include in the argument because it's something that wasn't being adapted. It has its OWN manga adaptation, incidentally.

I did mention before that I brought up Year One as an extreme example of how much the tone of Goblin Slayer is shifted between the novels and its adaptations. The tone changes are more or less consistent throughout (less world-building, less introspective, more gore, powerhouse combat and goblin rape), but Year One is the one where changes reach the point where original content straight-up gets tossed out and replaced.

My personal guess as to what happened is that I think executives met, discussed how to market the franchise and agreed that while a traditional fantasy novel can survive on the market, traditional fantasy as a genre just isn't popular enough among the general anime audience to bother with. Just going by Anilist, the last time we got a traditional fantasy series was Rage of Bahamut: Genesis way back in 2014; unless you count Queen's Blade, then the last time before it was the Legend of Legendary Heroes way back in 2010. A genre getting only two anime series in eight years doesn't exactly inspire a marketing executive to work with it, therefore they decided to alter the tone of anime adaptations to be more like Berserk and the darker isekai series of recent years. That is, something that actually sells.

P.S. I realize that my list of recent fantasy series exclude Altair: A Record of Battles, The Legend of Arslan, Yona of the Dawn and The Record of Grancrest War. Personally I feel like those four are considerably more politically minded and focus largely on grand politics and military conflicts between countries, like Game of Thrones. When I think traditional fantasy, I think adventure series like The Lord of the Rings and Dragonlance.
NPC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:15 am Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
You don't seem to have understood why I didn't respond to your previous post. You seem to think it's because I didn't have counter-arguments and counter-examples to your extremely selective quoting of the original novel, whereas in reality I didn't do that because your post was a bloody minefield.
Exactly, you didn't have any counter-argument. This post contained a single quote, namely: "GS was acutely aware that his skills had dulled." And this is the only part of novel that could potentially affect (but didn't) the plot. I said there is no natural way represent it in anime, you replied there are dozens of methods. I asked you to list a few and you folded. Hot air, no substance.

If you object to the quoting, you could easily suggest another quote, which would support your original point:
Quote:
The novels make it very clear that a month passes between the ogre fight and the goblin lord's attack on the farm. That is actually a key plot point, because the long rest takes the edge off Goblin Slayer's mental state but still isn't enough to heal all the injuries he obtained while fighting the ogre, which is why he struggles so much in his duel against the Goblin Lord.
Note that you are factually incorrect and GS fully healed, he just "was acutely aware that his skills had dulled." Your "key plot point" doesn't affect the plot in any way. You can't deny it, that's why you don't.

Quote:
I didn't respond to you because your post contained at least three personal insults that I knew full well you hoped I would respond to, so you would then cry foul and claim I'm making the argument personal.
Yea, that's a lie. Discussion was strictly on topic until you made this personal jab: "while I'm glad that you ended up enjoying it, for some of us expectations were a little higher than a brainless gory timewaster." Naturally this baseless ridiculous claim wouldn't fly. You DID make it personal but I just laughed it off because it was so pathetic.

Quote:
Your current post does the same, simply because you know full well that I can produce those counter-examples and so you hope to simply bully me into losing my temper and then report me to the mods.
Regarding reporting you to the mods - fear not, I never did it before and never intend to. And you wouldn't need to lose temper if you actually had the counter-examples. You don't though, so you are trying to safe face with this ridiculous conspiracy theory.

Quote:
To put it simply, I'm not trying to argue with you specifically because you specifically are too vile to argue with. I will however report you to the mods for attempting to force a personal attack. Have a good day.
I see, it is vile to disagree with you, to ask you to support your baseless claim with quotes or logic and to call your BS when you declare own superiority without any reason.

"Attempting to force personal attack" - what the hell is that? You are the first who switched to mentioning my humble person instead of anime. Apparently, I wasn't enlightened enough to want a better adaptation. I mean, you literally used ad hominem attack in your first message to me ever, completely unprovoked and somehow you are the victim in your mind? Wow.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:15 pm Reply with quote
@ NPC and Ashabel.

You are derailing the thread. Please continue your arguing via PMs.

(And, Ashabel, I combined your consecutive posts.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 25 of 25