• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:18 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
One reason is defintely the MC being so chill

Yeah. Even though this show is technically an isekai power fantasy, the main thing keeping it enjoyable is the main character, who comes off as a realistic and even likable person, instead of either Shonen Hero Boy (i.e. a strange blend of what adults think teenagers are like and their fantasy version of themselves as a teenager) or Genius Logician Man. That's not common in anime generally, let alone in isekai, and it's pretty important since a ton of the runtime is spent listening to him talk to himself. The other good aspect of this show is just the world and presentation in general, which is more what comes off as "chill" to me--it has a pretty lighthearted tone, even when it's not going full comedy, so the incredible powers of Rimuru aren't ruining the tension because it's not meant to be particularly tense anyway. And episode 3 shows he does have some limitations, at least.

The main thing I'm worried about is that I've heard this show has one of those "scantily-clad little girl who's actually centuries old, which totally makes this okay" characters (the pink one in the top left of CR's ad image). Guess I'll have to wait and see what they do with that. Hopefully very little.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The image of a tiny slime ball conversing with a giant dragon is funny enough on its own, and the dynamic between Rimuru and Veldora is endearing. Compared to the formulaic “teenage boy meets hot fantasy girl” interactions that so many isekai titles open with, this unlikely friendship between blob and lizard feels genuinely fresh.

I quite agree. There should be more interactions like this between dragons and other races (more unique human/dragon friendships in anime when?). I wouldn't really call a dragon a lizard though.

Can't wait to see our hero meet up with the rest of the cast members. They all look like a lot of fun.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote
I sort of agree with Zerreth that a lot of the thinking seems half-assed. Maybe I missed something, but I could've sworn there was a conversation in episode 3 that went like:

"What's your name?"
"We don't have names."
"What was your son's name?"
"It was Rigur."
Demonskid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I sort of agree with Zerreth that a lot of the thinking seems half-assed. Maybe I missed something, but I could've sworn there was a conversation in episode 3 that went like:

"What's your name?"
"We don't have names."
"What was your son's name?"
"It was Rigur."

It's not that you missed something but more of they kind of left it out.

spoiler[As we've seen, Naming a monster makes the monster stronger. The stronger the person giving the name, the stronger the monster who received the name becomes. Since naming other monsters take up magicules (more is explained at a later date as well) monsters don't name each other or their offspring. Especially if they are on the weaker side of the spectrum.

Rigur was named by someone who was passing through and because he received a name he became stronger than the others and so he became the villages hero until he died.]

It's sorta upsetting they left that out because it's kind of important in will happen eventually. Maybe they'll add it in later... Which is why I added spoiler tags.

Another thing they left out was that spoiler[the other goblin villages nearby abandoned this particular village we're acquainted with when the original Rigur died, leaving this village to fend for itself against the wolves. (Luckily Rimuru came along when he did right?)]
Again they might mention this later on... sooo.. spoiler tags >w>,
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
The Elder DID mention his sons name before at least, so Rimuru wasn't too far off.

What was left out from the manga (and presumably the novel) was that somebody came along to grant the prior Rigur his name. It was shown and explicitly said there, but just implied here.

I wonder why? Maybe for the same reason they changed the opening scene from Satoru waking up from a prophetic dream to a scene that we see a dozen or two manga chapters ahead.

spoiler[Incidentally, I've caught up on the manga, but I don't remember any of the uniformed guys....is the anime going to diverge wildly?]
Demonskid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Kendra Kirai wrote:

spoiler[Incidentally, I've caught up on the manga, but I don't remember any of the uniformed guys....is the anime going to diverge wildly?]

The uniformed people show up later in the series, the manga hasn't gotten to that part of the light novel yet. English translation of the LN hasn't gotten that far either.
doomrider7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:43 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Merida wrote:
One reason is defintely the MC being so chill

Yeah. Even though this show is technically an isekai power fantasy, the main thing keeping it enjoyable is the main character, who comes off as a realistic and even likable person, instead of either Shonen Hero Boy (i.e. a strange blend of what adults think teenagers are like and their fantasy version of themselves as a teenager) or Genius Logician Man. That's not common in anime generally, let alone in isekai, and it's pretty important since a ton of the runtime is spent listening to him talk to himself. The other good aspect of this show is just the world and presentation in general, which is more what comes off as "chill" to me--it has a pretty lighthearted tone, even when it's not going full comedy, so the incredible powers of Rimuru aren't ruining the tension because it's not meant to be particularly tense anyway. And episode 3 shows he does have some limitations, at least.

The main thing I'm worried about is that I've heard this show has one of those "scantily-clad little girl who's actually centuries old, which totally makes this okay" characters (the pink one in the top left of CR's ad image). Guess I'll have to wait and see what they do with that. Hopefully very little.

You'll be glad to know that nothing comes of that and Rimuru treats her like a hyper active niece that's been dumped on his lap. He does greatly bond with her(as do all the female characters who treat her like a little sister), but it's always in the above listed way from him moreso when she tells him that he's her only friend and starts to realise how lonely she actually is. She also has some of the most varied dress choices as well with the skimpy outfit being her default, but getting several new ones whole visiting him.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:13 am Reply with quote
I read the first few volumes of the manga which were pretty cute, but it seemed to take itself more seriously and become more dramatic and less comedic as the story went on--I hope I'm wrong on that, though, since the comedy is what really makes this series fun. The fantasy worldbuilding isn't *that* unique.

The part of the anime that intrigued me most so far was the opening scene teasing a girl being whisked to Rimuru's world during the WWII fire bombing of Tokyo (at least, that's what she seemed to be whisked away from). If the show's going to get serious, meeting characters from various points in real world human history would be an interesting way to do it!
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I read the first few volumes of the manga which were pretty cute, but it seemed to take itself more seriously and become more dramatic and less comedic as the story went on--I hope I'm wrong on that, though, since the comedy is what really makes this series fun. The fantasy worldbuilding isn't *that* unique.

The part of the anime that intrigued me most so far was the opening scene teasing a girl being whisked to Rimuru's world during the WWII fire bombing of Tokyo (at least, that's what she seemed to be whisked away from). If the show's going to get serious, meeting characters from various points in real world human history would be an interesting way to do it!

That girl in question has quite the backstory and her arc and meeting with Rimuru will mark the end of the first major arc in the story.

You gotta admire Miho Okazaki's voice acting. She nails Rimuru perfectly and it really shows here in ep 4. Cant wait to hear Brittney's version.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

The fact that our protagonist's fantasy elves were clearly 90s fantasy elves was a nice touch.
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:44 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Episode 4:

The fact that our protagonist's fantasy elves were clearly 90s fantasy elves was a nice touch.

Makes sense when you consider how old Rimuru was when he was still human.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Episode 4:

Not only that, but they were just-barely-different-enough-not-to-need-censoring versions of Deedlit and Pirotess from the original Lodoss OAVs Very Happy

I couldn't pin down the one with blue hair, but the blonde and the drow were absolutely Deedlit and Pirotess :3
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:26 am Reply with quote
I can enjoy Rimuru getting through fights really easily, but his deal with the blacksmith wasn't enjoyable to me. He just shows up, gives the dude some magicsteel (or whatever it's called) and then actually does the job for him, just duplicating the swords. Felt like a waste of time to have all of that magic ore bit if that's what it was gonna come down to anyway.

One thing I'm really enjoying is Rimuru's voice acting. The laughs and the "awoo" all being done in this silly voice really sells the comedy. It makes me wish the narration wasn't done by them as well - maybe have the previous voice? It's a little weird to see Rimuru mentioning themselves in the third person like that on the exposition bits.
doomrider7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Kendra Kirai wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:
Episode 4:

Not only that, but they were just-barely-different-enough-not-to-need-censoring versions of Deedlit and Pirotess from the original Lodoss OAVs Very Happy

I couldn't pin down the one with blue hair, but the blonde and the drow were absolutely Deedlit and Pirotess :3

Most people think it's supposed to be Lafiel from Crest of the Stars and the previous blond and red haired one from his image in the campfire are Zelda and Malon. All would fit perfectly with the whole 90's elves thing. And yeah, EVERYONE recognized Deedlit and Pirotess. They're THE 90's fantasy elves.

https://www.jpselection.com/data/jpselection/product/poster/P1450395.JPG

I mean DAYUM. Parn and Ashram have it GOOD.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:13 am Reply with quote
EP 5

LOL at the end credits acting like a trailer for the next arc. Pretty clever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 22