• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Licenses 7 New Manga, 6 New Light Novels

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:
just as long as they release the other Éclair books eventually, please!

Yes, I really hope we hear something on them because I want them. I enjoyed their first release.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Cloudywind wrote:
You can view a recording of the panel here as evidence.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1lDxLMYjXRkKm?t=34m22s

hmn that was interesting...

I'll be frank i have absolutely no idea what she's talking about as I'm not a reader of Bungo Stray Dogs.
I do however own the first couple of LN volumes so this is a bit disheartening to find out that there is a possibility that the official translation may not... sound the best.
I suppose I might end up experiencing it the reverse order, reading the official version first then looking for the fan translation to see which one sounds better in my opinion.
That said the woman's questions seem legitimate as was her frustration when the conversation was steered to piracy when she clearly wasn't talking about that.
Sadly she let that excite her and what was valid criticism became lost and labelled as a 'rant'.
Finally, Kurt Hassler's response to her was very unprofessional. That sort of reaction from a fan, especially one that he incensed(even if it was unintentional) isn't uncommon but as a representative of a company, he should have reigned in his attitude.
He has every right as a person to be annoyed with her but that should happen behind the public's eye with family and friends definitely not when representing a company.
Now I'm not gonna start pirating or boycotting their releases because quite frankly I'd be losing out on a lot of good entertainment, but I'm certainly going to be more critical of what these individuals produce.

Anyway enough about that, in regards to the article:
These titles sound mostly... bland.
My first impression as that these are all just reskinned version of already existing light novel stories.
They might interest people with specific tastes but they lack a wider appeal.
On that note the ones that unconditionally appeal to me are: Monster & Beast... oh that's the only one.
Huh.
Well the ones with premises that I like but I'm really wary of because they sound really generic: God Shining Moonlight Howling Moon, The Dirty Way to Destroy the Goddess's Hero, The Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious, Torture Princess: Fremd Torturchen('to be her servant, or to be tortured' gee wiz I wonder what our protagonist will choose?), Last Round Arthurs: Scum Arthur and Heretic Merlin
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Cloudywind wrote:
Did anybody see the actual panel? The Q&A part after the announcements really demonstrated for everyone to see the disgusting arrogance of the YP team and the director Kurt Hassler, and their dismissive attitude towards their customers.

A woman asked a question as to how she could send feedback to the translators regarding the translation of Bungou Stray Dogs, where the YP translation missed many literary author and poetic references that the fan community were aware of, and that the official anime subtitles had managed to properly preserve. The woman and her associates were quite disappointed by this, as they were fans of the works referenced and of Bungo Stray Dogs, and hoped to offer feedback on potential corrections.

The response of the YP team and Kurt Hassler was, instead of acknowledging the premise of the question, to instead start a long and condescending mansplain about how their translations are so much better than fans' because they take the time to make sure it's worded well in English, and that just because a pirated fan translation came first doesn't make it better. . When pointed out that the anime subtitles had gotten the references right, they retorted that anime subtitles are rushed to meet simulcast deadlines and their translations are much better because they have the time to get them right. Kurt Hassler cut in to mansplain that nobody is ever happy with what they put out, and that Yen Press are responsible to the author unlike people who read "pirate" translations, and that pirates don't own the material in question.

The woman was, of course, extremely insulted because she had never said anything about pirate translations, but rather she had been talking about official translations (available for many years) of the referenced poems in question, which she had read completely legally, and had been disappointed to find that the correct author intent had not been preserved. And it was in fact the arrogant Kurt Hassler and the YP team who refused to listen to the question and started accusing her of being a pirate to dismiss her concerns. She announced that, if this was their attitude towards customers with legitimate grievances, she would in fact be pirating from now on and she hoped that they would go out of business. Kurt Hassler's only response was repeatedly talking over her loudly with "Enjoy your day!~" in as mocking and condescending a voice as he could.

Can people really support a company that starts dodging the question and making accusations of criminality and then mocking a paying customer as a way to try and drown out legitimate concerns about translation quality? Personally, it's extremely disappointing to see horrendous behavior like his towards a fan offering valid criticism, and I cannot in good conscience continue to support a company which assumes its customers are criminals and is led by a man who actively mocks them in response to legitimate feedback.

You can view a recording of the panel here as evidence.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1lDxLMYjXRkKm?t=34m22s

I am explicitly not calling for a raid or a harassment campaign, but I do urge others who feel as disgusted as me to make sure that other customers also know just what YP really thinks of them and evaluate whether they really think this company is worthy of their support.

I don't follow Yen Press translations but I have indeed heard other cases of where their translations have questionable accuracy. One possible explanation is sometimes licensing companies here on U.S. soil are licensing so many titles that quality checks for some titles might not be high on their priority list.

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
The Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious, The Dirty Way to Destroy the Goddess's Hero, Killing Me, and Yuri Life sound interesting. It is rare to see a Yuri manga such as Yuri Life since almost all the romance manga that get translated are set in high school.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2