• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Anime to Remake Like It's 1999 [2019-01-05]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puiu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Crest of the Stars definitely needs a remake to do the novel justice. It's such a great story with an impossible to recommend old anime to anyone but hardcore anime fans.

The new manga adaptation is incredible and i would love to see that kind of artwork in anime form.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Puiu wrote:
Crest of the Stars definitely needs a remake to do the novel justice. It's such a great story with an impossible to recommend old anime to anyone but hardcore anime fans.

The new manga adaptation is incredible and i would love to see that kind of artwork in anime form.

I personally don't much care about a possible remake. But i wish the rest of it, Banner of the Stars novels, were translated and the original novel trilogy, Crest of the Stars, re-released...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to go with a dark-horse candidate, one of the most fascinatingly uneven titles of 1999: Eden's Bowy. A mix of high fantasy and contemporary/urban fantasy, EB managed to be funny, bizarre, and disturbing, yet strangely compelling. The rougher aesthetics and more muted palette of its cel/paint animation worked in its favor, although a more modern treatment won't necessarily look worse. And cutting down a few of those "tale of the scorpion and frog" retellings wouldn't hurt, either Wink

genkisakurachan wrote:
Quote:
Another victim of digital animation, Infinite Ryvius fares better than most

Except it was cel-animated. Try again, and this time pay attention.
Indeed, the stigma against "early-2000s digipaint" is so strong around here that even non-digital shows from the approximate era get tarred with the same brush.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:04 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

But the original Mummy movie isn't good unless you like old school black and white movies with cheesy acting and sub-par effects.

You heard it, folks, one of the all-time Universal monster classics led by the greatest horror actor of all time "isn't good."

Puiu wrote:

How is it "impossible to recommend" ? The character designs are distinctive but (I'd argue) appealing, and the space battles still look pretty damn good. If people are interested in well-written sci-fi, I don't see why age would deter them, unless they're really shallow.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Legend of Black Heaven and Jin-Roh are my favorite titles from 1999.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:01 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
Infinite Ryvius did have a few specific scenes that were digitally animated, but the vast majority of the show was in fact done with traditional animation. It can feel odd when you notice the transition.

A bit off-topic but it's because of those digital portions that the Japanese BDs are complete upscales pretty much joining the list of cel-shows that didn't get the proper treatment.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I feel like enough time has passed since the last season of Doremi was made and the series never got fully released in the US thanks to 4Kids that I think now is a good time to try again with a more modern update especially with other classic magical girl shows like Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura getting reboots and sequels.

Doremi doesn't need an update/reboot, it needs a sequel based off the more recent light novels so something close to what Digimon Tri got (but much better than those).
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

But the original Mummy movie isn't good unless you like old school black and white movies with cheesy acting and sub-par effects.

You heard it, folks, one of the all-time Universal monster classics led by the greatest horror actor of all time "isn't good.".

Probably because the Mummy most are thinking of never actually appears in the movie for more than 30 seconds to a minute. Before he's replaced by ominously wrinkled Egyptologist Boris Karloff, who basically re-enacts the plot of Bela Lugosi's Dracula with "Egypt" substituted for "Transylvania".
The bandage-bandit most are picturing didn't appear until Universal's B-monster renaissance in the late 40's and early 50's, when the budgets and talent at the studio diminished somewhat.

Kyo Hisagi wrote:
There was no adaptation for Petshop of Horrors to begin with Sad
It was just a promotional in form of 4 ovas so manga would sell better. It's like animate 1 volume out of 10.

There were a lot of OVA-only series in the OVA-heavy 90's that call out for full series version (and hopefully better ones than Oh My Goddess got)--
And Pet Shop of Horrors tops the list, although '99 was near the end of the era.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Takahiro Kimura of Brigadoon is responsible for the squishy designs of what is otherwise a serious show; he seemed to abandon the aesthetic by the time he worked on GUNxSWORD in 2005.

Not necessarily. Kimura's catalog is so vast that while Gun x Sword did go with a different style in GxS (with Kimura being head animator iirc), he did ultimately return to his trademark with Geass, 2011's Dororon Enma-kun and his guest character in Xenoblade 2. That's not even mentioning his "other" catalog, that being his more adult centric material.

I'd say Betterman goes with the artstyle it does because it's a sister series to GGG Final, which has a similar look to Betterman in spades.
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see both Crest of the Stars and Infinite Ryvius on this list.

Infinite Ryvius would be great with a bit of polishing up! I recently just re-watched it, and still it has stood in my top 20 anime!
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
There were a lot of OVA-only series in the OVA-heavy 90's that call out for full series version (and hopefully better ones than Oh My Goddess got)--
And Pet Shop of Horrors tops the list, although '99 was near the end of the era.

IKR, I've watched it like 3 or 4 times. Huge fan of the series. Oh My Goddess OVA was very good though I didn't like it so much as tv-series. I enjoyed the show but it turned out just another harem-ecchi series when ova was pure romance with some fanservice. Just my opinion but the story would be so much better if it was shorter (it's what, 48 volumes long?)
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko TV on the list.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:33 am Reply with quote
HameruIsCool wrote:
Since I didn't get a chance to fill out the survey for remake ideas:

Record of Lodoss War - The incredible art holds up well, but the pacing of the OVAs make it super confusing after the first few episodes. Give animation to studio MAPPA, Bones or Ufotable for the glorious fights. Touch up the script from the original novels to flow smoothly and give more depth to the characters.

The old soundtracks are great also, when I get to find them in the secondhand stores in Japan.
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:07 am Reply with quote
Crest and banner kinda suffered from the switch over traditional cell animation to digital. There was a lot of experimental animation and trying to figure things out going on. So I would love a re-boot but the series has only three new novels to adapt and they all end in cliffhangers. Calling them Space elves in a nonsense statement, only one family (Abriel) even has the elf ears anyway.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:56 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I'm going to go with a dark-horse candidate, one of the most fascinatingly uneven titles of 1999: Eden's Bowy. A mix of high fantasy and contemporary/urban fantasy, EB managed to be funny, bizarre, and disturbing, yet strangely compelling. The rougher aesthetics and more muted palette of its cel/paint animation worked in its favor, although a more modern treatment won't necessarily look worse. And cutting down a few of those "tale of the scorpion and frog" retellings wouldn't hurt, either Wink

Wow, a fellow EB fan or maybe a viewer who watched all of it or maybe just someone who knows the show exists and had some viable points behind it. Honestly, they're all kind of rare so it probably doesn't matter which.

It wouldn't be my pick for a remake as I feel it accomplished what it set out to do. Also, I think a modern retelling would seek to fetishize all of the female characters when the original work didn't do it to any of them, not even the cat girl president and her 13 year old niece.

What the modern anime scene would do to her niece...

After a quick look through what was actually produced in 1999, I'd pick either Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure... an isekei original anime back when the concept itself was fresh... or Gokudo, an out and out fantasy series without any of the trappings or excuses like "a video game world with set and explainable rules" or "YOU, you're in a new world so you have to learn about it, naturally" isekei stories you find in the modern anime fantasy.

Gokudo's world? You just learn about it naturally.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:25 pm Reply with quote
How about Tsubasa? Bee Train's treatment to the series was scary. Still, Clamp would need a way to make the ending... more acceptable
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5