• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Toei Offers Refunds for Censored Japanese Blu-ray of 6th Dragon Ball Movie Compilation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Was compilations 1-5 uncensored also?

If so, wonder if Toei would even rerelease this 6th compilation uncensored this time. If not, it might be worse returning the 6th compilation, since a replacement might not ever come.
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Good. Censorship is wrong in all circumstances no matter what.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Now if only Kadokawa would give us refunds on those partially-censored Tsugumomo Blu-Rays...

CrimsonDX wrote:
Good. Censorship is wrong in all circumstances no matter what.
Dragonball wouldn't have been a hit franchise in the US without the censorship that got it onto TV in the 90s. It's not like collectors were going to buy 100+ VHS tapes of DBZ at $35 a pop, sight unseen. The edits, while often silly or unfortunate, did their job of maximizing the franchise's success as what it was intended to be: a money-generating commercial product.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:41 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Dragonball wouldn't have been a hit franchise in the US without the censorship that got it onto TV in the 90s. It's not like collectors were going to buy 100+ VHS tapes of DBZ at $35 a pop, sight unseen. The edits, while often silly or unfortunate, did their job of maximizing the franchise's success as what it was intended to be: a money-generating commercial product.

You're right that censorship was a "necessary evil" of sorts to get it on to TV. But I'm sure it would have been even more popular with its audience had it been broadcast it its unedited form.

Remember the stink which came about when Cartoon Network decided to digipaint swimsuits on Tenchi & co? Or when they cut all the LGBT references from Sailor Moon or Cardcaptors? Fans don't like it when things get cut.
Spooky Blades

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:33 am Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
"Think of the children!" they say as they censor the super expensive BD boxset that only hardcore fans will buy... Meanwhile the streaming version on Amazon and Netflix is uncensored. The one that kids are far more likely to have access to.
I was gonna say the same thing, "think of the children" was a really stupid excuse for them to use.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:40 pm Reply with quote
If they have to censor something, censor all of those moments that showed like Goku’s, Gohsn’s and Kid Trunks privates.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Totally stupid edit if you ask me. I mean, if the Angry Video Game Nerd can get away with it for so long, why not DBZ? Rolling Eyes
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:22 pm Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
If they have to censor something, censor all of those moments that showed like Goku’s, Gohsn’s and Kid Trunks privates.

This right here!

As much as I hate censorship, if they're going to edit something, they should have went all the way with it. In addition to privates being kept intact (most recent being Goku in DB movie 2 released on BD AFTER Z's films), they also kept Trunks mooning Broly in both movies 10 & 11 so they're inconsistent here compared to the edits made for Kai (yeah I know, morning broadcast difference but we would think that with the middle finger edits that they were trying to get the new fans who watched Kai and Super in Japan to buy these).
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Totally stupid edit if you ask me. I mean, if the Angry Video Game Nerd can get away with it for so long, why not DBZ? Rolling Eyes

My understanding was that it was a mistake, and that they intended to release it uncensored but someone screwed up and missed something. It sounds like there are many versions of the various DBZ shows so it seems to me like someone stuck the censored footage on that disc when they intended to use the uncensored. I may be wrong about it, but this sounds like an unintentional mistake on their part, not something that the deliberately censored. The text on the packaging makes it sound like their intent was to release a 100% uncensored version.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I see.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
You're right that censorship was a "necessary evil" of sorts to get it on to TV. But I'm sure it would have been even more popular with its audience had it been broadcast it its unedited form.

Given that none of the stuff that was edited is why it was a hit in japan or latin america I doubt it.

AkumaChef wrote:

Remember the stink which came about when Cartoon Network decided to digipaint swimsuits on Tenchi & co? Or when they cut all the LGBT references from Sailor Moon or Cardcaptors? Fans don't like it when things get cut.

I don't remember there being many complaints at the time but given how long both series stayed on the network (Sailor Moon was syndicated) even for those that were aware of the edits no one seemed to mind much.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Given that none of the stuff that was edited is why it was a hit in japan or latin america I doubt it.

I can't speak for everyone, but one of the main draws to me when I was first getting into anime was that it showed things which western animation never did. It "broke the mold" in many ways. Here you had animation with serious well-written plots, humor in forms other than slapstick, and adult content including nudity and violence was not shied away from. And do I really have to state the obvious: many men, as well as some women, would much rather look at naked animated boobs than ones behind clothing? There certainly was a subset of anime fans who embraced it because of the edgier content like this. One example of that is the infamous Manga dubs in the UK which added profanity where there was none before, specifically to appeal to that kind of audience.

Quote:
I don't remember there being many complaints at the time but given how long both series stayed on the network (Sailor Moon was syndicated) even for those that were aware of the edits no one seemed to mind much.

I recall plenty of complaints, but that said they were nearly all coming from established fans who already had seen Tenchi, Sailor Moon, etc, before they were broadcast on Cartoon Network. I'm sure that many people watching on TV were blissfully ignorant that the show they were watching had been edited simply because they had no basis of comparison. If Cartoon Network, etc, aired two versions of each program: the edited and the "uncut", there is no doubt in my mind that the latter would have proven more popular than the former, at least among its target audience.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:51 am Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
If Cartoon Network, etc, aired two versions of each program: the edited and the "uncut", there is no doubt in my mind that the latter would have proven more popular than the former, at least among its target audience.

Gundam Wing had an uncut and edited version that aired at different times and yet the edited version had more reruns I believe than the uncut version. Yu Yu Hakusho debuted uncut on Adult Swim then ran edited on Toonami......before being unceremoniously being kicked to a death slot (still edited). And then's there time they aired DBZ uncut for a few weeks before it mysteriously disappeared never to be heard from again....at least until Kai came around about a good 13 years or so later on the revamped Toonami.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:38 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Gundam Wing had an uncut and edited version that aired at different times and yet the edited version had more reruns I believe than the uncut version. Yu Yu Hakusho debuted uncut on Adult Swim then ran edited on Toonami......before being unceremoniously being kicked to a death slot (still edited). And then's there time they aired DBZ uncut for a few weeks before it mysteriously disappeared never to be heard from again....at least until Kai came around about a good 13 years or so later on the revamped Toonami.

Which show ran longer has little to do with which was more popular, because popularity is only one factor in those decisions. There are other factors, like licensing/rights, broadcast laws, as well as content policies from the individual companies involved, etc. We have no idea which of those reasons was or were used to make those decisions. I don't think we can take "which version ran the longest" as any sort of commentary on popularity because we have no idea which of many factor(s) resulted in those decisions.

It could easily have gone something like:
Hey boss, we need to drop one of these Gundam Wing shows from our lineup to make room for [new show]. Which one should we drop?
Eh, drop the uncut one. I'm tired of hearing complaints from parents anyway. Besides, we can broadcast the edited one in a better time slot.

... I don't think we can take "which version ran the longest" as any sort of commentary on popularity because we have no idea which of many factor(s) resulted in those decisions.
But we can ask fans which version they prefer. I don't claim to have any scientific data on this, but out of the two decades I've been an anime fan, going to cons, hanging out with other fans, etc, I don't think I've ever heard a fan EVER mention that they preferred a censored show to the uncut one. I've heard plenty of fan gripes (and rants!) about edits but I've never heard anyone say: wow, I'm sure glad they cut the blood out of this action show, or "this Ecchi comedy is so much better when the boobs and butts are covered up".
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:24 pm Reply with quote
DBZ came out in an era when anime still wasn't very popular and it initially aired in syndication on networks like UPN or Fox. There was no Adult Swim back then and the only uncut anime we got on American TV were bad Manga dubs of trashy violent OVAs on the Sci-Fi Channel. If DBZ had aired uncut on American TV in the 90s, regardless if fans accepted it, it would have been sued out of existence by media watch dog groups that were heavily active at the time. Remember when parents thought rhe American version of Power Rangers was too violent for kids? Airing DBZ uncut would have been a nightmare and would have sank Funimation and Ocean.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3