• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Carole & Tuesday (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:36 am Reply with quote
I must have meant "battle of techies", both of them are above the likes of the police as Tao said. And glory through the likes of turning into some sort of Sherlock vs Moriarty sort of thing, where the audience thinks along the lines of a worthy opponent, so they give some amount of respect to the character as their supervillain. Didn't really think it even should be about the stalker this time, but about how Angela was falling apart a bit, and her relationship with Tao. Some people seemed to think the identity of the stalker was going to be that celebrity guy who also bad, but it kind of felt like this time that it did not matter much who the identity of the stalker was, just a result of Angela's whole angelic persona she put out for the audiences.

Tuesday's stalker kind of being the result of one person she touched, like how she had that encounter with Carole. And that Tuesday had to learn to kind of be strong to stand against attention she did not like, a force wedged between her and her partner. Angela here had her letting herself be a bit exposed to the person she did not want to be, always seemed to want to act strong in front of him, to try and show that she was worth his attention. Yet, nothing about Tao here seemed to show that he thought less of her for being helpless with something he could handle. So Angela will probably need to be open about her weaknesses, and Tuesday is going to need to be more forceful by things she does not appreciate, such as with her mother.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:48 pm Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
Cydonia Festival, which is Burning Man, which is also re-transformed Woodstock

I don't know if someone has mentioned this, but Cydonia is the area on Mars where "the face" is. It's also another name for Athena/Minerva, goddess of wisdom and strategic warfare (cf her brother Ares/Mars, god of crazy violent warfare). Anyway, I guess Cydonia Festival would be Burning Face on Mars. Laughing

I was satisfied with the takedown of the stalker. Tao has been very cool all around lately. I hope Merida is right that he's a refugee, which would mean he'd be extra inclined to throw a wrench in whatever Jerry has planned. It's always best to have the hacker-elite on your side.

Angela's song was ok, not as good as the ED (speaking of which, I noticed "Project Space Dandy" in the credits of Episode 18), and C&T's song was bland as plain white rice as usual. The bkg song over Tuesday's snow stroll was much better. Why do people carry umbrellas for snow? I grew up with winter, never once used an umbrella.

I don't like Angela a lot, but I'm liking her better, and she's far and away the most talented of the bunch. Her mom's kinda growing on me too. Smile

I think Kyle's ok. He did lie about what Spencer said, but it was a small lie that was not intrinsically harmful, in place of a truth that would serve no purpose to tell her, whether he's good or bad. Could be another red herring to make us mistrust him. I think he was telling the truth about being hired to take Valerie down, but his friendship with Tuesday might make him do it in a way that allows her to see the light and send Jerry packing without self-destructing. 'Tis my hope. I'm sure some Carole & Tuesday song will melt her stony heart too.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:38 pm Reply with quote
19:

In the conversation between Jerry and Tao, the only thing I'm curious about is Tao's aversion to getting involved in politics. Even though he's a neuroscientist, both him and Jerry are essentially doing the same thing: manipulating people. You might say that Jerry is more immoral because he's doing it more for personal gains (financial/political, maybe), and there's a silver lining that Tao might be into music because he likes music. But there's no denying that Tao wants to know what makes people tick and seeing as how the motivation of both of them is basically learning how people behave and use it to their own advantage. Birds of a feather flock together, right?

So what makes Tao refrain from politics? Maybe it's personal (which ironically makes this otherwise rational human being more... human). Maybe as a manipulator, he doesn't want to end up being manipulated by Jerry (remaining rational as ever). I hope it's the former; it would make Tao's character more interesting by adding another dimension to him.

Merida wrote:
As much as i enjoyed Tao being cool, the resolution to that stalker plot felt a bit underwhelming after all that build-up. It would have been nice too watch Tao playing cat & mouse with the guy a bit longer at the very least, but i guess the show is running out of time...

I have a nagging feeling that this might not be the end of it. It might very well be another Cybelle case i.e. social commentary of an inconvenient symptom of the music industry, but something doesn't feel right. Black_Knight might be out of the picture now, but the consequence of this incident might manifest into something else, since we're now on the topic of AI in all aspect. There's a lot of room for imagination now.

I'm curious to know the relation between Carole and Ezekiel (aka not-XXXTentacion). This show is having a field day paying homage to music celebrities (Jimmy Hendrix's guitar teeth? Flora's parallel to Whitney Houston? Angela x Ertegun's parallel to just about any DJ-singer collaboration these days), and I wonder if we're about to see another one coming right up.

And as far as Carole & Tuesday's performance style is concerned, it's the exact opposite of Ultra-Music inspired larger-than-life sensory overload. It's very much like The Impression's "People Get Ready": you don't have to be loud and over-the-top to charm and wow the crowd. I like it. It's underwhelming because it's not an Ultra performance; when most (if not all) performances are going to be like Angela x Ertegun for Cydonia, their performance will come off as refreshing and therapeutic.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:53 am Reply with quote
Martin Luther King, Jr., called "People Get Ready" the unofficial anthem of the Civil Rights movement. I think Watanabe might have chosen it to suggest some type of political transformation is in the works. We'll see. The title songs have had a rather variable relationship to the content of the episodes. I've been amused they span the period from about 1965 to 1985. Must be the period Watanabe is most familiar with himself.

Like Gina, I think Angela is the most talented of the bunch. Her ED has grown on me over the past few weeks.

And on the subject of umbrellas, it's the topic of this week's GeGeGe no Kitarou episode, and the theme of the current OP at Fruits Basket. After watching Kitarou last night, I went back and watched episode two of Samurai Flamenco, another story about umbrellas. I don't know why they play such a big role in Japan (and Hong Kong as well apparently). I never carried one until college when walking across campus in the rain was uncomfortable. And I never use an umbrella when it snows either. A hat is perfectly adequate.

When C&T sang at South by Southwest, they used the official SXSW logo, for which I presume they paid a rights fee. I wondered how many Japanese viewers knew anything about SXSW. (Do they have to pay rights fees for the title songs if all they show are the 45 RPM discs?)

By the way, Tao attended "IMT." I'm surprised they didn't use "MIT," meaning the Mars Institute of Technology.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, the you-know-what has hit the fan. Mars even has its own ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement). Will the three girls, and maybe Tuesday's brother and Kyle, become the revolutionary force we've been expecting for a while now?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:37 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Her mom's kinda growing on me too. Smile

Ah hell, well scratch that. So she's not actually Angela's parent? Did we know that and I forgot?

So Carole, Amer/Ezekiel, Tao, and possibly Angela (and possibly her mom?) are all Earth refugees? With all except Carole being raised specifically to carry out Dear Benefactor's plan of ruling Mars?

Looks like I at least judged Kyle correctly, maybe. At least Spencer thinks so. I'll trust his judgement.

yuna49 wrote:
Mars even has its own ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement).

MICE?

::kinda swoons over Ezekiel:: Dayum. Did Atsushi Kamijo do his character design for his video? C&T's insert song was the best they've done for awhile.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:41 am Reply with quote
The immigration raids feels a little topical. I am sure such things are not new, but from what I hear about the USA's ICE, pretty rough with Ezekiel. It did seem pretty obvious that his song was voicing his frustration with the current system, which already is not too kind to immigrants like himself, and calling out for there to be some action, and so they made an example out of him. I did enjoy his song, me being a far cry from someone that cares much of anything for rap, but I do continue to think the show has continued to work so well with how it does so many different voices.

Tao has been arrested, likely a set up of people in power, the man funding Valarie, who set things up to go his way. But the good news is that Tao is too ethical for the sort of shit of manipulating people for political power. It had just kind of come up more recently that Tao was not the awful person we might have thought, he apparently has a genuine interest in the emotions of others, and creating songs that interact with the emotions of others is his way of connecting to something he has felt problems with. I am thinking that his double of Angela is maybe misguided, but not something openly malicious on his part, it kind of looked like he genuinely thought it would help Angela, even if he apparently won't be there.

Still reasonable that Angela is pissed off, she does not want to feel like she can be just replaced by something artificial. She is frustrated by the current turn of events of being told to copy a fake, probably mixed with wondering she has been betrayed by Tao (who she likes), and the pressure from Dahlia who seems to be trying to live through Angela in getting an award. Somewhat unfortunate, because I think that Dahlia had been much more likable for a while, as someone mostly seemed on Angela's side, and does not seem great that flashes of treating Angela as a tool, and a bit of violent rage that are unseemly. At this point, I don't see Dahlia as a villain, she seemed to be suffering through the episode, that made me wonder if some parts like the anger at the end could be attributed hormone problems or other medical problems that we saw earlier. There being a memory that showed Dahlia looking more masculine, with some sort of rage that is apparently what has kept Angela from wanting to live with her, which has me thinking Dahlia was not entirely at control then due to a medical condition that resurfaced. Hope that Angela is able to get an ambulance, and things can be patched up.

And finally, Spencer has met with Kyle, and they want to work together to stop the campaign manager, who apparently was likely involved in the bombing. Wonder if they have any idea that he is working for the business guy, who apparently already had enough power to get Tao arrested for not going along.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:05 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So she's not actually Angela's parent? Did we know that and I forgot?

I've thought "she" is a cross-dresser from the outset. Dahlia always reminds me of Aki-san from Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:38 am Reply with quote
According to the Carole & Tuesday homepage, Dahlia is apparently intersex. The description they give doesn’t use the term directly, but mentions that they have characteristics of male and female due to the Martian environment. I believe that Desmond is also mentioned to be similar to Dahlia.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Huh. I thought she was Angela's biological father, who had anger management issues that forced Angela to live elsewhere until Dahlia transitioned and became happier with herself. But trans, intersex or cross-dresser, I had thought they were biologically related. Seems like everyone's adopted!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I do think that it is a new reveal that Angela is adopted by Dahlia. What I remember getting out of what we were shown before was that Dahlia was originally a man, who I assumed was her biological father. Dahlia started to suffer from the Martian disorder titled, which has not had a lot of explanation of exactly what it is other than becoming intersex, but I am going to assume can cause things like hormonal imbalances, and seemed to be the basis that made them violent when Angela was younger. Angela still seems kind of scared of this part of Dahlia after Dahlia seems to be in a much more stable condition, they don't live together, but Angela still seems to call Dahlia "Mama".

I was kind of wondering if we were going to get some topic about conditions like Martian androgyny not treated with proper care by the government. Where Desmond landing on something closer to non-binary, and maybe got along better due to money, yet wonder if their medical conditions that caused their other health problems were related. Still curious if it is going to be made an issue of whether their government could have provided support, so people like Dahlia are not at such a disadvantage.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I was kind of wondering if we were going to get some topic about conditions like Martian androgyny not treated with proper care by the government.

Seems unlikely given that there are only four episodes remaining. They've got enough on their plate as it stands.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:41 am Reply with quote
20:

So the whole stalker issue is over. Good, we can get that out of the way.

I finally get my answer about Tao. He really does love music, but he's a bit manipulative about how to get people to love it. When music is ideally about self-expression, he is more self-interested (i.e. rational, as expected from a "robot") but wanting to know what kind of music resonates the most with people. In other words, listener-centric as opposed to songwriter-centric, so what better way to do that than through algorithmic composition. He's not the most virtuous man, but he has principles. I have to respect him for that.

This leads to Angela's outburst... well, let's be real: we already recognize this problem right from the start of this whole show. Mother tries to live through her child, and she has groomed her right from the beginning as a child star. Angela doesn't like it, but still went ahead because it promises success and she doesn't want to go against her own mother. Of course, this comes at the expense of her own agency and self-actualization. And now she has to learn after her own doppelganger. A "perfect" version of herself, that she has to concede and learn from? Of course this pushes her off the edge. She got a bit of her own time during her own final performance at Martian Idol, but now it's getting out of hand.

And now, we come to Ezekiel. He may or may not be the late XXXTentacion, but there are some eerie similarities between the two of them. Ezekiel's song is actually sung by Denzel Curry, who knew and even lived with (surprise!) XXXTentacion. His latest song preaches anarchy; XXXTentacion had a music video named "Riot". And now the big question is the timing between the release of his inciting song, and his arrest. While people are asking "why arrest him only now?", the question I'm asking now is "why release such a song now, during the most tense moments in Martian history?". I'm guessing he wants to make a statement for the refugees, even if it makes ending becoming a martyr. If he plans to divide the society in the process, now's the perfect time to do that (and guess what, XXXTentacion is regarded somewhat as a martyr among his fans just like Tupac).

Two more episodes left, and things are getting exciting.

edit: scratch the comment above.

Last edited by ACxS on Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 21

Things are not all happy, mostly at the moment with the main duo in Amer being deported, roughed up apparently too. But he did seem to do a song, that was essentially a love confession to Carole, so her Amir is there. And I think that it inspired them in writing their final song for their album, which even if done in an echoing church, actually had Tobe praise them for it. Shocking happy part of the episode, mixed with Gus has apparently managed to get them a hooked up with singing with their hero, Crystal, at the Grammies, making it rather happy.

And yet there was the ending that reminded the other thread of episode, that Angela is losing it. Learning that Dahlia is not really her birth parent, her mother in the hospital, and no support network like even Tao contacting her. There were two parts in the episode that had AI say things, the hologram of her AI telling her that she is imperfect, and her rabbit pet telling her that she would have never made it this far and is a fake with her Mama, that I wonder if the exact words were in her head. Her insecurities spilling out, this starting when at the beginning of the episode where she seemed to have a panic attack, and is in an emotionally troubling part where she was seen taking a lot of medication.

My assumption is that Tao does not want Angela mixed up with what he is doing, thus why no contact, and he seems pointed to fight back against the people that got him arrested. This right before he gets a message from Angela asking for help, which one would think should mean nothing to a guy about to hack his enemies. But Angela is in a really rough spot right now, and with how he apparently has wanted to understand or connect with people, and what he knows about Angela, this should be big. Angela never asks for help, like so far she has demanded that she can do anything and will succeed, but now she is begging for someone to save her.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:23 am Reply with quote
21:

*oh boy here we go.

I'm intrigued by Angela's story now. The big question surrounding her now is her identity and relationship with her 'mother'. It's going to be a big revelation, and I have a feeling it's going to be an antithesis of her flawless public persona. What if, just like Carole, she was also a refugee? That would be a doozy.

But I really feel sorry for her. This is an existential crisis at its finest, and everything that can go wrong for her did go wrong. And what's really disconcerting is how she's seemingly on the same path as Flora. That's the thing about the dark world of fame: people who are at the top of it fall the furthest down. And ironically, the only person who can save her now is the same one whom she didn't approve of at first.

As for Carole and Tuesday, well you do not say no to collaborating with not-Beyonce. I had a feeling she would be back in the show, but just not in this way. The same and only person who believed in them, and now she's going to help propel them into stardom. How poetically karmic is that.

*why would not-ICE agree with filming not-Tentacion in his cell, tho.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6