• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Carole & Tuesday (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 22

And Angela has crashed and burned. Tao didn't go to her, and her mother passed away after only being able to give a brief apology and tell Angela that she loved her. Interesting, despite subtitles, the computer monitors seemed to more say her name was Dharia, not Dhalia.

The song earlier by Carole & Tuesday + Crystal, could be seen as a direct answer to the darkness that Angela has found herself in, a continuation of Angela's song of fire that marked the end to the competition in the midpoint. But this message not something heard or received by Angela, who did happen to win, no surprise by staying so high in the charts, and Angela's song being about her loneliness and depression. It going really interesting in the end of the episode where after Angela has collapsed she drifts in and out of consciousness.

It is tough that half the episode was beautiful with our main duo having their dream in trying to make a song of hope in bad times, and the other half just a total spiral of Angela having no one. Hopefully this is the darkness before the dawn, where the last episodes will have our girls live up to the promise of 7 minutes that each episode starts off with.

Interesting note about Tuesday singing the happy birthday song. It used to heavily copyrighted, but is now part of the public domain.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:36 am Reply with quote
22:

Why does the Grammys feel more like the Oscars.

We're coming down to the last few episodes so it should be climactic. Indeed it is; the ending is pretty dramatic. But I'm a bit disappointed; this episode is way too rushed. Dahlia's death is amazingly underwhelming, and now I only hope we have a good closure to Angela's identity (Professor Zeeman should be clarifying everything eventually).

And actually, I think it's a minor name inconsistency. The monitor states Dahria but her name on the ward's entrance is Dahlia. That's what happens when ⟨L⟩ is missing in Japanese phonetics. But yeah, minor stuff.

edit: Steve Aoki getting his cameo moment for co-writing the ED. My man.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:21 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Interesting note about Tuesday singing the happy birthday song. It used to heavily copyrighted, but is now part of the public domain.

Crossed my mind during that scene as well. There isn't even a credit for "Happy Birthday" during the close as was the case in every film I heard it sung in before the court settlement.

I've wondered whether they have to pay any fees to show those 45-rpm singles of the title songs. Just naming the song doesn't create any liability, but the record images themselves might have been trademarked. I suspect they had to pay South by Southwest to use the SXSW logo, and I saw a credit to billboard in a recent episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 23

He took his freaking time, but he got there eventually. Just hope that what Tao did was worth everything up to including Angela having missed her mother's funeral. At least Angela's old manager came out of the woodworks, I had hoped that thing would have been fixed before now between them, since Angela did not fire her for a good reason, but good on her coming back to Angela for the hospital after she lost everyone else.

Anyway, apparently Skip released a song that was against censorship, which we did not get to see, and apparently those in power saw to stage an excuse to arrest him, you know to censor him. So the gang have come together and decided that they can't stand by and let everything happen. So we will be getting those seven minutes soon, and at the place they did their song that Roddy recorded.

Oh, Pyotr and GGK are starting a duo. Strange, but it was enough to get Carole and Tuesday back in the groove to write their song.

Even though the show is pointing that Valarie could turn on the guy for revealing the truth of the bombings to her, I am kind of on Kyle's side, it is not worth showing their hand for them to let Valarie that spread the hate, just to preserve them not feeling so bad about a mother thinking her kids betrayed her. Tuesday already made it pretty clear that Valarie was not a very good mother already, and they should not trust in something that would betray everyone relying bringing Valarie's message down.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:21 pm Reply with quote
23:

RESISTING ARREST--!!

It's poignant to see that the person to be by Angela's side is the same one Angela pushed away and was mean to all along: Katie. I still feel sorry for Katie; I'm not sure if her unconditional support has been reciprocated, now that Tao is clearly Angela's knight in shining armor. Now that's convenient. Angela's taking on the damsel-in-distress role, when she should be livid for Tao's MIA habits. He better has something good for her (I hope he's the one with the answers to Angela's past; that would make for perfect closure).

Carole and Tuesday pulling off a "We Are The World" is just inevitable; I saw that coming long ago. It's becoming full circle: everyone who has influenced the duo's lives are gathering for one big grand finale. I hope Flora's in the fray too.
SomeHero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:53 am Reply with quote
Only seen something of it on Youtube, ist not on Horrible Subs for some Reason. The Music is pretty fine, but has one big Problem: it still has an vague Feeling as, made by Tearboard` (like, for an Exemple, that Desposito Thing)
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:38 pm Reply with quote
All twenty-four title songs from Carole & Tuesday as a YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNscpuY0iDhO5MKj_IO_L-DcIGG0LojBS
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 24 (finale)

"Will be continued.... In your mind."
Don't play with my feelings!

Not a lot to say. Tao said he had to leave, but shared that he and Angela are apparently both designer babies, something illegally done by their creator. But he will still watch her. Everyone shows for Carole and Tuesday's song, for them all to sing for the miraculous seven minutes, and it is cool to see all of them back, even an introduction of another rookie. But of course had me shouting names like Crystal, Pyotr, GGK, Flora, Desmond and Angela. Valarie showed that she had principles after the evidence against Jerry, firing him and promising to pull out of the race so she could go on things she believes next time. Some great moments like Angela singing in-between Carole and Tuesday, as more singers come, and everyone watching.

Implications would say that they may have gotten raided afterwards, but whatever happens would hopefully lead to a good result on Mars. Too much of a hope we might get an OVA that delivers on the aftermath?

Anywho. I liked Carole and Tuesday. Not like every story was the best, but what series is? It had good bits and characters, that appealed to me despite my usual disinterest in music. I still keep replaying the failed music video, the Mars Brightest bits such as the Mermaid Sisters. It is an interesting creative show, taking a more western setting with diverse characters. A number of fun things I can mention, and a message of acceptance of people like refugees for a world that has larger tensions.

I give a rating of Excellent (9/10), is certainly worthy of a lot of attention for anime of this year. Good time watching you Carole & Tuesday.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:21 am Reply with quote
Well, they finally wrote a song that was really quite good. Nice lyrics, not too sappy, actually built up to something stirring. Angela still blew them all off the stage. Smile

I'd still like to know more about Tao beyond his origins. Where did he grow up? What sort of environment? What were his own experiments really about (I feel like there's more than just learning how to manipulate people through music/sound)? Why did he make the virtual-Angela? Did he keep a copy?

Anyway, I don't know if I'll ever watch this again - I found Angela's side of things more interesting than C&T's adventures. But it was a good series, and I enjoyed watching it.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:08 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, they finally wrote a song that was really quite good. Nice lyrics, not too sappy, actually built up to something stirring. Angela still blew them all off the stage. Smile

Agreed. On both accounts.

So even though that guy got busted, Tao will have to stay in hiding forever now? That's a bit sad, although it probably suits his personality.

I certainly wouldn't mind an OVA or two that showed us a bit of what happened afterwards, but even without that, i enjoyed this show quite a bit. It's probably no coincidence that the 2nd season will drop on Netflix on xmas since this definitely make for a nice season-appropriate feelgood watch. Smile
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:10 am Reply with quote
Final:

Dayum, so that's how they give Angela her closure. Quite a poignant revelation there, especially when Tao and Angela have the same creator-dad. Did Dahlia ever know about that? Maybe, but it doesn't matter. It's a little convenient, but it's a proper closure nonetheless.

And oh, how happy I was that Flora joined. Would've been a travesty if she hadn't. The show ended exactly the way I predicted long ago; the show isn't about plot development per se, but more character-driven.

It's either a 7.5 or 8 for me, but I'm feeling generous so it's an 8. This is a "We are the World" feel-good show that's about bringing people together in a world that's becoming more polarized. But perhaps more importantly, Carole & Tuesday is a love letter to the music industry, both past and present. When if times change, history repeats itself and anything "new" in contemporary life, including the music industry, is just a reincarnation of something preexisting. We like new music, but we never forget about the oldies and this pays homage to all that. Shinichiro Watanabe has a knack for anything related music, so it's a no-brainer that his latest brainchild revolves around music. Although I feel the show is playing things safe (as expected of a Netflix series that tries to appeal to more Western viewers), it still manages to make itself special and I give credit for that. Great show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6