Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
darkchibi07



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 5046
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:11 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
I dont understand all of this discussion about Nezuko being underutilized or underdeveloped or why it's a bad thing (she never really has been more than the motivation device). I mean, I sort of get wanting a particular character to get more screen time, but there comes a point where you have to realize she isn't the main character of this series...I dont know what is going to happen next but I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess she is going to remain the main character's motivation and not change that much. I could be wrong, but I really doubt i am given how these stories go.


It's egregious because the story premise makes you think it will be about the siblings struggling through the awful situation they're in and maybe learn something about Nezuko and what makes them good siblings. But no, she gets unfairly jettisoned of anything interesting to do in the story by 2 secondary dudes who has more to do with than her.

And frankly it's an annoying problem to see this happen to the female characters most of time when there's a popular Weekly Shounen Jump anime series. Yeah there are exceptions like The Promised Neverland and arguably Food Wars (I predict an Act-Age anime to join in as well), but that's what they are: exceptions, not the norm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shinji Paradox



Joined: 02 Mar 2018
Posts: 9
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:50 pm Reply with quote
This fascination with Nezuko and people demanding more screen time of her, kinda hits a nerve. It's not enough that this series steadily reminds you that the reason Nezuko doesn't have a lot of screen time than her counterparts, is solely because she needs to sleep in order for her not to grave blood from humans. She's not a main character, but is one of the supporting roles along with Zenitsu and Inosuke. Clearly, the way the plot seems to moving, we would be seeing more for of her. But this is anime universe, and majority... if not all has major female character leads. I for one love the change in trend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steelmirror



Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 311
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you've been feeling deprived of your weekly dose of Zenitsu antics lately, then boy howdy does Demon Slayer have an episode for you.

I haven't been deprived. I HAVEN'T BEEN DEPRIVED. Crying or Very sad

I actually don't mind a bit of faffing about after the big arc with the spiders, and the end of the show. Zenitsu is still The Worst, but he bothers me less in a low-stakes interstitial episode than he does when he's wasting time (and viewer charity) in an action episode or serious siutation. I still would pay good money to see him torn in half by a definitely-not-a-vampire, but he didn't make me stop watching the episode this week, so progress.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spike Terra
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 21 Mar 2016
Posts: 232
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:56 am Reply with quote
Until I saw this episode, I by some miracle had been able to tolerate Zenitsu but this arc has broken me. I can only tolerate a whiny jerk who only thinks with his crotch for so long before I just want to punch his cartoon face off. Yes I know, eventually Zenitsu will grow into a likable character but my patience has run out.

That being said, I enjoy Tanjiro's adventures and it looks like Inosuke is actually developing. So there's still plenty of things to like about this series, so I think it will probably get a second season. But I feel like inevitably that Ufotable will be replaced by Deen or another studio that does longer running shonen shows
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 8523
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:59 am Reply with quote
If Zeni's little outburst had been the only time he's gone screaming bonkers, it would've been hilarious. But as it stands, it was mildly humorous. At least it was more tolerable than all his other random screaming. Really, all they needed to do was just tone it down a few dozen notches into twitchy hyperactivity and his character would've been fine.

I guess the Japanese target audience must have a greater tolerance for screaming, or are partially deaf from living in crowded cities, or find it vicariously cathartic to hear someone totally let loose like that. I have no other explanation as to why characters like Zeni and Asta are popular there. I notice there's a lot of screaming in live action samurai movies too, where it's not even meant to be funny. I don't get it. I don't think I'm supposed to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KarlFranz



Joined: 17 Jun 2019
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:53 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
If Zeni's little outburst had been the only time he's gone screaming bonkers, it would've been hilarious. But as it stands, it was mildly humorous. At least it was more tolerable than all his other random screaming. Really, all they needed to do was just tone it down a few dozen notches into twitchy hyperactivity and his character would've been fine.

I guess the Japanese target audience must have a greater tolerance for screaming, or are partially deaf from living in crowded cities, or find it vicariously cathartic to hear someone totally let loose like that. I have no other explanation as to why characters like Zeni and Asta are popular there. I notice there's a lot of screaming in live action samurai movies too, where it's not even meant to be funny. I don't get it. I don't think I'm supposed to.


Japanese are usually very quiet and reserve in social interaction so for them loud and big mount characters are view as usually and entertaining since it break the social norm. It always funny for people of certain culture to see someone who act difference from how they was suppose to act in that culture.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Super_M



Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 137
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

And frankly it's an annoying problem to see this happen to the female characters most of time when there's a popular Weekly Shounen Jump anime series. Yeah there are exceptions like The Promised Neverland and arguably Food Wars (I predict an Act-Age anime to join in as well), but that's what they are: exceptions, not the norm.


WSJ targets audience are boys and boys prefers well development male characters unless it is harem. In most shonen girls are eye-candy and love interest because this is what main demographic wants. I prefer well development women but that is true. Plus Irony is that in my experience many girls targeted works have usuless, weak female leads (maybe even majority).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
a_Bear_in_Bearcave



Joined: 14 Jan 2019
Posts: 18
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:33 am Reply with quote
Shinji Paradox wrote:
This fascination with Nezuko and people demanding more screen time of her, kinda hits a nerve. It's not enough that this series steadily reminds you that the reason Nezuko doesn't have a lot of screen time than her counterparts, is solely because she needs to sleep in order for her not to grave blood from humans. She's not a main character, but is one of the supporting roles along with Zenitsu and Inosuke. Clearly, the way the plot seems to moving, we would be seeing more for of her. But this is anime universe, and majority... if not all has major female character leads. I for one love the change in trend.

How much she needs to sleep and whether the actions happens when she sleep or when she awakes depends only on the whims of the creator/artist. If they say she needs to sleep two years, she will sleep for two years. If they say she needs two months... Also, the posters, opening, ending etc show Tanjiro and Nezuko as the main characters and many people believed that and hoped to see a sibling duo more then two one-note comic relief characters. Sure, they're funny sometimes, but why they have more screentime then Nezuko who, as a demon sibling, could be interesting character on her own, but is reduced to few cute animations most of the time.

I also have no idea what you mean bu saying that anime has too many female character leads. Look at the Summer preview guide for the quick summary of current show, plenty of them has male characters, the few exceptions are the most- or all-female cast show. Beside, Nezuko wouldn't be lead, just a stronger supporting character.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KarlFranz



Joined: 17 Jun 2019
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:05 am Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
Shinji Paradox wrote:
This fascination with Nezuko and people demanding more screen time of her, kinda hits a nerve. It's not enough that this series steadily reminds you that the reason Nezuko doesn't have a lot of screen time than her counterparts, is solely because she needs to sleep in order for her not to grave blood from humans. She's not a main character, but is one of the supporting roles along with Zenitsu and Inosuke. Clearly, the way the plot seems to moving, we would be seeing more for of her. But this is anime universe, and majority... if not all has major female character leads. I for one love the change in trend.

How much she needs to sleep and whether the actions happens when she sleep or when she awakes depends only on the whims of the creator/artist. If they say she needs to sleep two years, she will sleep for two years. If they say she needs two months... Also, the posters, opening, ending etc show Tanjiro and Nezuko as the main characters and many people believed that and hoped to see a sibling duo more then two one-note comic relief characters. Sure, they're funny sometimes, but why they have more screentime then Nezuko who, as a demon sibling, could be interesting character on her own, but is reduced to few cute animations most of the time.

I also have no idea what you mean bu saying that anime has too many female character leads. Look at the Summer preview guide for the quick summary of current show, plenty of them has male characters, the few exceptions are the most- or all-female cast show. Beside, Nezuko wouldn't be lead, just a stronger supporting character.


A story shouldn't break it rule, internal logic, plot coherent and theme to make more screen time for a particular character. If we do that we have stuff like Sasuke in Naruto. A good is character base on how they are use in a story, not how much screen time they have. Most Nezuko fight have little stake due to the fact she can regenerate The only stake in those fight is if she can keep it together and not go berserk and control her demon power.but it also not something you could keep pulling since it make these moment cheaper after each time so the artist/writer have to use it with caution, not throwing it around. Also the 2 new character don't have more screen time than Nezuko since they don't even show up in the first 11 episodes and each of them need to have their own moment to show off there personality and struggle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
a_Bear_in_Bearcave



Joined: 14 Jan 2019
Posts: 18
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:13 pm Reply with quote
KarlFranz wrote:
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
Shinji Paradox wrote:
This fascination with Nezuko and people demanding more screen time of her, kinda hits a nerve. It's not enough that this series steadily reminds you that the reason Nezuko doesn't have a lot of screen time than her counterparts, is solely because she needs to sleep in order for her not to grave blood from humans. She's not a main character, but is one of the supporting roles along with Zenitsu and Inosuke. Clearly, the way the plot seems to moving, we would be seeing more for of her. But this is anime universe, and majority... if not all has major female character leads. I for one love the change in trend.

How much she needs to sleep and whether the actions happens when she sleep or when she awakes depends only on the whims of the creator/artist. If they say she needs to sleep two years, she will sleep for two years. If they say she needs two months... Also, the posters, opening, ending etc show Tanjiro and Nezuko as the main characters and many people believed that and hoped to see a sibling duo more then two one-note comic relief characters. Sure, they're funny sometimes, but why they have more screentime then Nezuko who, as a demon sibling, could be interesting character on her own, but is reduced to few cute animations most of the time.

I also have no idea what you mean bu saying that anime has too many female character leads. Look at the Summer preview guide for the quick summary of current show, plenty of them has male characters, the few exceptions are the most- or all-female cast show. Beside, Nezuko wouldn't be lead, just a stronger supporting character.


A story shouldn't break it rule, internal logic, plot coherent and theme to make more screen time for a particular character. If we do that we have stuff like Sasuke in Naruto. A good is character base on how they are use in a story, not how much screen time they have. Most Nezuko fight have little stake due to the fact she can regenerate The only stake in those fight is if she can keep it together and not go berserk and control her demon power.but it also not something you could keep pulling since it make these moment cheaper after each time so the artist/writer have to use it with caution, not throwing it around. Also the 2 new character don't have more screen time than Nezuko since they don't even show up in the first 11 episodes and each of them need to have their own moment to show off there personality and struggle.

There are no explicit rules about Nezuko sleep needs to break here, it's clear she sleeps exactly as long as the plot needs - she wakes up from her first long sleep exactly when Tanjiro needs to leave after finished training for one example. Also while she regenerates, she doesn't have good attacks, she is best for tanking demons with her immortality to give Tanjiro opening for attack or let him deal with other opponent, so there's no balance issue, and the stake in her fights is the same as for Tanjiro, since they fight as a team - if she loses, Tanjiro may get killed and she will lose last person that cares about her, and get captured by the demons probably. Her two big team fights - with the fake lower moons and again spider moon were good show, so I don't agree she can't be used more. Besides, Zenitsu also is a one trick pony (two if you count very loud wining) but he is used plenty of times without regards for viewers tired of his antics. As for use in story vs screen time - I agree, but her use in the story was mostly as cute decoration, at least other two have their basic personality established, even if it's a simple one, while all we know about Nezuko current character is that she's kinda brainwashed maybe now?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dab1za9



Joined: 27 Mar 2016
Posts: 41
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

And frankly it's an annoying problem to see this happen to the female characters most of time when there's a popular Weekly Shounen Jump anime series. Yeah there are exceptions like The Promised Neverland and arguably Food Wars (I predict an Act-Age anime to join in as well), but that's what they are: exceptions, not the norm.


WSJ targets audience are boys and boys prefers well development male characters unless it is harem. In most shonen girls are eye-candy and love interest because this is what main demographic wants. I prefer well development women but that is true. Plus Irony is that in my experience many girls targeted works have usuless, weak female leads (maybe even majority).


Kimetsu seems to have more females fans than males with 6:4 split and i would say the focus on male character is what made it this popular among them.

Source:https://hon-hikidashi.jp/enjoy/84116/
『鬼滅の刃』の読者の男女比は4:6。男女ともに10代・20代の人気が高いです
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZiharkXVI



Joined: 29 Jan 2009
Posts: 168
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Dab1za9 wrote:
Super_M wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

And frankly it's an annoying problem to see this happen to the female characters most of time when there's a popular Weekly Shounen Jump anime series. Yeah there are exceptions like The Promised Neverland and arguably Food Wars (I predict an Act-Age anime to join in as well), but that's what they are: exceptions, not the norm.


WSJ targets audience are boys and boys prefers well development male characters unless it is harem. In most shonen girls are eye-candy and love interest because this is what main demographic wants. I prefer well development women but that is true. Plus Irony is that in my experience many girls targeted works have usuless, weak female leads (maybe even majority).


Kimetsu seems to have more females fans than males with 6:4 split and i would say the focus on male character is what made it this popular among them.

Source:https://hon-hikidashi.jp/enjoy/84116/
『鬼滅の刃』の読者の男女比は4:6。男女ともに10代・20代の人気が高いです


I had a hunch that was true. Apparently you dont need a strong female lead to attract a female audience (contrary to the ridiculous western notion that girls want a bunch of female leads because of representation or some such farce). What you need is a good story - even a basic story told well will draw both male and female audiences. Again, I dont know why people assumed this show would focus in on Nezuko to the same extent as our lead character. I disagree with someone who said earlier that this was the premise. Enjoy it for what it is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 15929
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:14 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
Again, I dont know why people assumed this show would focus in on Nezuko to the same extent as our lead character. I disagree with someone who said earlier that this was the premise. Enjoy it for what it is.

Oh, I understood from the start that Nezuko was going to play a distant second fiddle to Tanjiro, but she was featured prominently enough in the first episode that there was at least hope that she would be more involved than what she has been. That she's shown to be a quite capable fighter when needed also supports this. That's why people have been complaining about wasted potential here. That Nezuko is one of the prettiest female character designs to come along in quite some time (especially as shonen action series go) also makes me want to see her more involved even if I understand why she isn't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 8523
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:56 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
Apparently you dont need a strong female lead to attract a female audience (contrary to the ridiculous western notion that girls want a bunch of female leads because of representation or some such farce). What you need is a good story - even a basic story told well will draw both male and female audiences.

And yet apparently a good story isn't enough to draw male audiences if the lead is female (or even co-lead in this case). In general - exceptions to the rule and all, so don't @ me with Alita. Smile

Perhaps girls are more willing to watch boy-centric adventure and sports stories since shunning such works would leave them with little to watch in those genres, whereas boys still have a full plate even if they stick exclusively to such stories?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TarsTarkas



Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 4163
Location: Virginia, United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps that is true for certain groups of men. I am in my Fifties, but I loved Xena, the Major from Ghost in the Shell, and plenty other comic, movie, and anime strong female leads. Nothing better than Ripley killing aliens.

But when I think about it, you are probably right, console games and Japan thinks American men just want beefy men in our violent entertainment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 20

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group