• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mix: Meisei Story (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:33 am Reply with quote

Yay, they replaced the dog in the eyecatches for something prettier and not annoying.

This series is absolutely shameless with its shoutouts to itself. Smile

So we're into extra innings in the semi-finals and next week is the last episode? wth. Guess that means nobody's going to Koshien, as usual. :/

Unless they do a 3 min ffwd at the end and say, "And so they went on to win/lose the finals and won/lost at Koshien." Or if they lose this game, "A valiant effort, but this battery still has two more years together to take Meisei to Koshien!"
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:54 am Reply with quote
Not having read the manga, what I think is gonna happen is that next year they'll win since they'll get a batter with Ryou and a backup pitcher with the Ichiban-dude, unless their defense is made entirely of third year now and crumbles
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:27 am Reply with quote
For those wondering, episode 24 was bumped by the Rugby World Cup. Supposedly will air next Saturday.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, Try Knights will be so excited about that! Wink

(If anyone's wondering, it's so terrible. I don't know why I'm watching it, but it's got an uncanny fascination about it, like watching ants dismembering a butterfly corpse. Cute how-to-play-rugby sessions after credits though.)
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:21 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Not having read the manga, what I think is gonna happen is that next year they'll win since they'll get a batter with Ryou and a backup pitcher with the Ichiban-dude, unless their defense is made entirely of third year now and crumbles

It's always three years with these shows.
The first year they are too inexperienced and the "good" team hasn't been created.
The second year and spring tournaments they usually fail due to bad luck or misfortune (Truck-kuns and appendicitis).
The third year they finally beat the odds and show the greatness of their ultimate team and beat their rivals in the local tournament to go on to Koshien.
Koshien itself is rarely depicted. H2 was the exception because the main rivals were next to each other but on the opposite sides of a regional dividing line. SO, to play each other, they both had to go to Koshien.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:45 pm Reply with quote

I still don't know what happened. Did he fluff the throw or did the guy not catch it? The former is better since he only (well, mostly - the back to back errors killed him) has himself to blame, but the latter makes more sense. If he's still pitching great, there's no reason for him to flail on an easy throw to third.

Did we ever figure out who the umbrella guy was supposed to be and what purpose he served in this? And were the end credits next year or something?

Anyway, I mostly enjoyed this. A bit opaque in places and of course the audio crap, but it was very refreshing in a lot of ways.
Ittaku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Is there going to be more to the series with another season, or was that it?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Did we ever figure out who the umbrella guy was supposed to be and what purpose he served in this? And were the end credits next year or something?

I assume Japanese audiences got it when the face was shown.

It's spoiler[Shohei Harada, the super-tough boxer/ delinquent with a heart of gold from Touch. He looked way too old in HS and looks the same as he does now (but now he looks younger than his age) The joke being he never ages. I don't remember him showing up at this time in the manga but I kinda like it..]

I think the post-game scenes are anime original. I liked that treatment too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Season Two 1-9

Is no one else watching it? We had 4 pages of comments for the first season!

Somehow this seems even more laid back than the first season, but I'm liking it. Interesting dynamics with the Akai step-brothers, and the amnesiac guy camping in their yard who clearly has some Meisei history. Smile The intra-team scrimmage that ended this ep and will continue next is also looking like it will not only be fun, but also help solidify some of the cast that usually gets shortchanged in my mind.

I don't know why it took me until now to realize the neat casting choices for Sou and Tou. Tou, Meisei's ace pitcher, is played by Yuuki Kaji, who played Mei Narumiya, Inashiro's ace pitcher in Ace of Diamond. Sou, Meisei's great catcher, is played by Yuuma Uchida, who played Kōshū Okumura, Seidou's great new catcher in AoD Act II. Wouldn't have been as much fun if they'd swapped roles. Smile
Ittaku

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 1:46 am Reply with quote
No sorry, dropped it. Seemed to waste most of its time making fun of jokes from his earlier works (which I've watched) - mainly "Touch" and isn't interesting in its own right.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 9:59 am Reply with quote
I'm still watching it, but it definitely doesn't hold up to Adachi's other works (well- he has had a couple duds- his last attempt at a long series, Q&A, was so weak it had to be cut short). I've also read through past this point , so there's no surprises for me. I think the end of this season will get to some new-to-me stuff though (the fan translations have dried up- I think the publishers have been really going after piraters of this series)
I've always hoped that it would eventually elevate the sibling rivalry but it only ever teases it.
I will say that this inter-squad story is one of my favorites... but also the biggest tease.

It simply lacks good antagonists or good friendly rivalries. Everyone's nice, everyone's a good sport. No one really pursues romance, so there isn't even romantic conflict.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm still watching Mix, but it's not really holding my attention. Cross Game is one of my dozen or so 10/10 series of all time, but I've had less enthusiasm for other Adachi series like this. I started watching Touch the other day to grow more familiar with the Meisei High universe, but I found that show so horribly misogynistic that I'm not sure I can keep watching.

Of the baseball series I've watched in the past few years, I'd say Major 2nd is at the top of my list, especially its second season. Like Cross Game it deals sympathetically with the issue of girls wanting to play competitive baseball in high school but are blocked from doing so by the rules.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:22 am Reply with quote
H2 could have been his best anime if it were adapted better and finished. It's his longest and most complex baseball manga. Cross Game is a better "story"over all, but H2 does baseball the best- while still having a strong interpersonal story too.

One of the best and subtle tiny bits that comment on Adaichi's past look on women is in Cross Game where the older brother acts like a pig to some young girls and the girls say something like "He should know people don't act that anymore!" ...But yeah, there's a bit in Touch where the "hero" slaps the "heroine" for a slight insult... and she apologizes- and he accepts it. sickening low point- but that's the worst of it. H2 sort of revisits the situation but IIRC, it handles it much better. I think he was almost accepting fault with it.

I'd say his other really great work is his boxing manga Katsu! (stuns me that it never got an anime)

His slight take on Romeo and Juliet, a swimming manga (of all things), called Rough has a lot of charm, but fails to make the romantic rivalry it tried to make. (again- strangely- no anime).

Other early stuff also hurts from sexist tendencies that weren't noticeable at the time. A couple of his early hits are actually Shojo manga/anime, he even had a hit short Josei manga.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:38 pm Reply with quote
S2 ep.10
And there we have the greatest tease for what I always thought this story was going to be but (at this point) has always resisted doing. A real sibling rivalry between the two genius pitching step-brothers. I hope they revisit it, but I know it's not the direction the immediate chapters take (and then the fan-translations disappear).

...and manga Hauruka does offer a hand gesture to her dad during this match, but it's not a V/peace sign. Only one finger is involved.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:05 pm Reply with quote
S2 ep.11

And my favorite self-deprecating lines of the series.

As far as I can recall though, the only story that Adachi wrote as a short and the audience wanted more of was Idol Ace- but he only got a single book out of it and may have left it unfinished (doesn't have a page in the encyclopedia). Remember the movie the spoiled Principal's daughter/manager was trying out for in Cross Game? Said it was based on a manga?

But yeah, those of you that think it's slow and not enough happens, this manga chapter/ episode shows you he's aware... but might not care. He just rolls along slowly working on character development.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5