• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vinland Saga (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:42 pm Reply with quote
S2, Episode 6

I am amazed at how absorbed I am with this show despite a distinct lack of hacking, slashing, pillaging and burning. Who knew that a Viking saga about farming of all things could be so interesting? That's a hard writing trick to pull off. Still, I can't help but feel there is some bad, bad poop coming down the pipe, aimed straight for Einar and Thorfinn. Enjoy this peaceful interlude while it lasts, boys.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:31 pm Reply with quote

They haven't had much luck since they met, but Einar's persistence in asking for a horse helps the pair get the lucky break they need. Who knew Ktell's father Sverkel is living away from his son and on his own smallholding? Unlike Ktell who has his hands full with his own estate, Sverkel is happy to have hands to help do chores in exchange for lending the pair what they need to get started with their own farm. No written contracts, but the word exchanged between the three is binding and the horse and plough the pair desperately need are eventually provided in exchange for labour. Sverkel is doing farming the back-breaking way, stones and all so I don't begrudge him asking for assistance.

If there was any lingering doubts about where Einar and Thorfinn are, this episode decisively answers them. They're not far from Jelling, in Southern Denmark. We've had enough clues from previous episodes, this week gives a definite place and name so only the most inattentive of viewers will continue asking where the two of them are.

It's a surprise to see the mercenary Snake freeloading at Sverkel's house. Sverkel's face wasn't shown when he first shouted out to Snake two weeks ago, so I didn't make the connection with his voice and his formal introduction this week. Sverkel really is the most important man in the farm, since Ktell could only admonish his father for "borrowing" his slaves yet didn't punish Einar and Thorfinn from being away from their designated plots. Even the bullying retainers didn't believe it at first, but the horse Sverkel owns really is different from the ones they keep in the stables so a simple check would have corroborated their story.

Snake's comment about 13 hired mercenaries to patrol an estate vast enough to actually require at least a hundred men to properly guard is going to prove prophetic. Denmark now is not under threat of invasion as King Harald (Cnut's older brother) is still alive. However, this is a situation that is not going to last and when that happens the scenario where Thorfinn will meet Cnut once again might actually come to pass. Snake even asked Thorfinn for his opinion deliberately, since he guessed enough from their fight to assume Thorfinn has plenty of experience with pillaging farms of Ktell's size.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:26 am Reply with quote
6:

Old Man Sverkel spitting out hard truths about money: the more you own money, the more the money owns you. Or as the late Notorious B.I.G once said, mo money mo problems.

But I guess this topic is only the perfect theme to discuss, especially in light of Thorfinn and Einar's slavery. Slaves want to be free. Money is supposed to make you free, but as clearly explained by Sverkel, more money will ironically make you less free. In the end, rich people get enslaved by their own wealth.

Now, imagine how relevant this is in the current modern world. Let that sink in.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:47 pm Reply with quote

The focus is away from Einar and Thorfinn this week for once, after all they can't actually do much after sowing since modern agricultural techniques to assist germination aren't known to these farmers. He's got a good point about prayer and the like, since they can't do much more than that without technology or additional manpower. It makes a good comic moment to see Thorfinn even try to pray since he's never done anything like that since maybe before he left Iceland.

Thorgil is the successful pillaging eldest son of Ketil, although he was fortunate he had both the mindset for the lifestyle as well as the skillset as Snake trained him up before he left Denmark. Viewers can be forgiven for thinking how Olmar could be Ketil's son if he's like that, but it turns out appearances can be very deceiving. Olmar is closer to his father than Thorgil thinks, which leaves another question hanging. How is it possible for "veterans" to speak about Ketil in such a manner when the man himself claims it's all a lie? One cannot buy this kind of reputation with just farming produce alone, so how did he get it?

Snake and his men really DO work for their food, despite what Sverkel says. Granted it's not some band of outlaws determined to raid Ketil's stores, but he was able to track down the culprits and extract a (forced) confession. It's notable that even Sverkel acknowledges Snake isn't a fighter on paper, since Thorgil managed to make it big on the battlefields of England with his training. He must have been working for Ketil for at least a decade given the relative ages of the sons, and Thorfinn himself knows first-hand how strong Snake is. He's not Thorkell, but no one on the farm is going to challenge his martial prowess (maybe Thorgil, but he's just visiting).

Ketil may not like violence, but at least he's capable enough to hire a good steward for his holdings. That bought him the out he needed to prevent the thief from losing both arms, but he still had to administer the remaining 19 strokes. Had Thorgil continued, the boy would have died before half of the strokes could be administered. That first blow must have broken a rib, but it seems Ketil did enough to keep him down for a few days to recover without breaking anything. Quite a family, it seems Sverkel is the martial one with Thorgil taking after his grandfather while Olmar and Ketil are on the other side of the family traits.

If this story is really about Thorfinn making it to Vinland (North America) and striking out on his own, then he needs this stint in Denmark to acquire the skills required to survive in a land where war is not an option and he cannot pillage to acquire the food he needs. Looking at next week's trailer, it looks like Sverkel is teaching Einar and Thorfinn how to fish, while the bullying retainers do everything in their power to interfere with their farming efforts to buy freedom. This needs to be resolved eventually; if Thorfinn or Einar snap and actually manhandle or kill the retainers then it's going to end the story on a sour note.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Ah, poor Einar. I'm sure he has no idea the woman of his dreams is doing more for the master than rustling up meals. No doubt that's also why the Mistress is pretty ready with the slapping. I don't blame the boy for stealing given that his father is dead, er, I mean off on an errand, and his sick mom is caring for a baby, but taking his little sister along on thieving missions is dumb. I guess they can carry a little more if she's helping, but the risk to her just isn't worth it as the boy found out the hard way. I'm sure children back in those days would have been green with envy at how easy future generations of juvenile delinquents would have it in advanced nations.
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:24 am Reply with quote
7:

I must admit, this season has been nowhere near what I had expected. The first season is all about war, enjoying the spoils of war, and how to war. This season? How to be a decent human being? How to farm? Next: how to fish? Man, what a change of tone.

I get it, though. Thorfinn missed out on what it is like to live a good life because he was so obsessed with revenge—so much that he was actually aiding Askeladd, aka his father's killer, all the while—that he never stopped to think how different would have been if he had just not thought about avenging his father. Right now, he's just living the part of life he completely missed out.

This show is really taking its time to build up, unlike the previous season. A very different change of pace.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:38 pm Reply with quote

This was always going to be a problem, having retainers who are typical of the period and have no intention of letting others below the station attain equal status as them given fair opportunity. It's come to a head, and ravaging the field Einar and Thorfinn put so much effort in means it was always going to be the catalyst that would doom the pair as slaves have no rights attacking free men regardless of justification. If it comes down to a trial, the retainers will win because Thorfinn struck first. Looking at the trailer, it looks like the pair of them got beaten up badly. If they lose the deal they were contracted to, it will certainly move the story forwards into unknown territory. It would also be a shame, since Sverkel has yet to teach them all of his skills and knowledge and they need all of it to survive as free men.

It's not all doom and gloom for the pair. Reporting to Pater means their situation would have been investigated, so there's mitigating circumstances to be had. Also, Snake knows the two of them and may or may not put in a word for them if it comes to a trial in front of Ketil. Whether that's enough to change their fates is another matter though.

Most of the episode is focused on Thorfinn's mental state, hence the empty man episode title. Sverkel overheard the conversation and he's helped the pair loads since the horse incident, so even if Ketil expels them Sverkel might well take them in as he still needs help for chores. He and Einar are the only things stopping Thorfinn from falling further down his mental cliff, so how he progresses from here is going to be crucial in determining where the story goes from here onwards.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Arrrgh, I would have loved to see the fight play out to its conclusion but it was not to be. As understandable as Einar's anger is, there is a certain irony that ex-warrior Thorfinn initially attempted to be the voice of reason. In fact, I believe his punch was to prevent Einar from landing a blow and thus getting into trouble. I'm sure Einar learning that his dream woman is a favourite of the master's did little to improve his mood.

I really hope the show does not become overdependent on dream imagery to convey Thorfinn's inner turmoil. While I don't expect the same level of dream indulgence that The Sopranos engaged in, the opening dream sequence went on a little long for my taste. I have a personal dislike for dream sequences because writers tend to use them to trot out some pretty on the nose symbolism and of course as soon as you are aware it is a dream sequence you know nothing in the story will move forward until the dreamer wakes up.
aarr0w

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:17 pm Reply with quote
The characters in Vinland Saga are so well-developed and memorable. Thorfinn is a compelling protagonist, driven by a desire for revenge but struggling with the consequences of his actions. The supporting cast is also fleshed out with their own motivations and backstories, adding depth and complexity to the narrative.

The story of Vinland Saga is both thrilling and emotionally resonant. It explores themes of revenge, redemption, and the consequences of violence, while also delving into historical and cultural issues of the era. The pacing of the story is well-balanced, with enough action and suspense to keep viewers engaged, but also plenty of quiet moments that allow for reflection and character development.

Overall, Vinland Saga is an exceptional anime series that is well worth watching on some sites like soap2day. With its gorgeous animation, well-developed characters, and powerful storytelling, it stands out as one of the best anime of recent years. Whether you're a fan of action, drama, or historical fiction, this series is sure to leave a lasting impression.

Last edited by aarr0w on Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Well said. Unfortunately for me, the fact this is an excellent show has implications for my pocket book. Special titles like this one usually inspire me to collect the manga source material (if it exists). Sigh. It seems I will have little choice but to shell out the dough.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:11 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth, the Kodansha releases of the manga are lovely. Nice hardcover editions, loads of extra material and exclusive interviews, and a really excellent translation effort. Very clearly a labor of love. Well worth a purchase if it makes financial sense for you.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I have a line on the first 12 hard cover volumes used, but in great condition. The price is no massive bargain but it would be cheaper than buying them brand new. We'll see how it works out.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:10 am Reply with quote
So we'll soon see a charity add on TV to save poor Blood- chan from poverty?
I really love this show too. I do hope someday Thorfinn will be exploring some new sites, as I Iove myself some adventure and I'd love for him to feel more freedom. If only a visit to the local market. Above all, I hope his character will have some luck. It would be realistic if he doesn't get any freedom ever though or would eventually lose newfound rights. Tough world after all.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:14 am Reply with quote
Ha ha, no surprise you're watching this show, A Mystery. After all, as a Dutch cookie, this is all about your ancestors. Wink I understand your desire to see Thorfinn go a bit further afield, but oddly enough it's how this farm arc has been handled that convinced me I need the manga. I thought to myself that if the show can be this compelling an experience for me despite a distinct lack of hacking and slaying then that's something pretty special.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:45 am Reply with quote
Yeah this arc is fantastic. He doesn't need to fight, that would make his diseased dad sad. But I'm always down for a good ol' road trip.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11