• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: BOKUBEN Manga Artist Has 'No Comment' Regarding the Anime Ending's Relation to the Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arkhangelsk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:
Has the 'childhood friend' love interest ever won in an anime before?

Well, we can increase that number by one. Since I've just finished watching the 2nd season anime (having missed out on it when it premiered), I'll tack a few comments here.

First, I think the anime makes it clear - Uruka is the winner, let's accept it. As to whether it made sense based only on the facts in the anime, as an anime-only viewer:

1) From a realism angle, Sensei was never going to be the winner no matter how popular she is.

2) Despite some scenes I never got the vibe Ogata and Azumi ever were primary choices. So it is basically a one off between Fumino and Uruka.

3) The anime did spend some effort to make Uruka a plausible winner - someone actually counted how many events were included for each character in the Season 1 anime, and Uruka had the most (10, Ogata had 8 and Fumino had 6 while teacher and Azumi joined late). I hadn't seen the count for Season 2 but yeah Uruka shows up a lot here too, including one where Nariyuki blurts out she's his "steady" (if by mistake) and another where she gets a costume from him at the end. Fumino shows up a lot overall, but often as a support character.

The whole overseas thing is IMO also a big hint. It is a make-or-break decision - either she's being shoved very rudely out of the competition or the author's giving her the win. Though I am led to understand Uruka was never the most popular in the polls, I don't think people hate her, do they?

4) My sense is that as a matter of original intent (look at for example the first season cover). Fumino would have been the eventual winner and was initially set up to be most qualified to win. I think when people are uncomfortable with an Uruka-end, they are thinking of these structural cues.

However, to ensure Fumino doesn't win too quickly, the author had her spend a good bit of time playing support to Uruka. This maganimity makes her look very sweet to the audience but that doesn't get her points with Nariyuki, the implication as this pulls on is also that her affection is less deep or more flexible than the clumsy, puppy-love Uruka. Eventually the scenes piled up such that Uruka had the straighter shot, and the author just went with it. I agree with those that say Uruka is not exactly the best character in Bokuben but that's not the same question as whether she's most likely to win.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2