• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami Programming Block Moves to 3-Hour Length

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:58 am Reply with quote
man it would be cool to move Toonami to weeknights but I suppose that's a pipe dream
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:29 am Reply with quote
I feel like most people didn't bother to stay up for the last hour of Toonami since it's mostly reruns now anyway so it makes sense to trim the fat some. I do wonder when they'll ever get around to Mob Psycho season two?

Quote:
I always wondered if Toonami isn't able to get Sailor Moon back on the block, why not go for Madoka Magica, the other important and popular magical girl series, as an alternative? Unless that still being on Netflix affects its chances on Toonami to nil.
Likely because Madoka is a show where the audience is expected to have a familiarity with magical girl tropes as it's a commentary on the genre that Toonami's more shonen audience might not be familiar with it's tropes. But since Demon Slayer has been doing well for them, maybe they could air the Fate franchise?
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:01 am Reply with quote
I wish they would air Blue Exorcist Kyoto Saga.
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:07 pm Reply with quote
micah007 wrote:
Horsefellow wrote:
FlyGuySempai wrote:
Who still watches Toonami anymore? The block has been unwatchable trash since 2017.

I'm honestly surprised Toonami is still a thing in this day and age where everything is simulcasted. Why wait week by week to watch something that's already fully available online?

Some of us like the nostalgia/tradition of it all. I make it a habit to have it on in the background on late saturday nights while working. There is also a social aspect that's still prevalent within the community from the live discussions.

I tried to watch it a few times due to nostalgia but today's Toonami doesn't pick up very much variety outside shounen. The modern day Toonami would never pick up shows like Blood+ or Wolf's Rain.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Leviathonlx wrote:

I tried to watch it a few times due to nostalgia but today's Toonami doesn't pick up very much variety outside shounen. The modern day Toonami would never pick up shows like Blood+ or Wolf's Rain.
They have the upcoming Uzumaki but I do wish they would air more sci-fi anime outside of the occasional Gundam. That new Yamato anime would be great to air.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Leviathonlx wrote:

Yeah, if there was one thing that I dislike about the current Toonami, it's that. I liked it when they didn't have so much Shonen on the block - I think save for one show, everything on Toonami right now is Shonen [Jump].
I do like the block better when they had a bit more variety(?) on it. If it wasn't for Toonami, I would have never watched shows like Casshern Sins, Michiko & Hatchin, and [especially] Parasyte.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:09 pm Reply with quote
For old time's sake I hope this doesn't mean it is going away, but I haven't watched it in a decade because of streaming
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Can't complain much since it's reruns getting dropped. Out of the current block, I only watched two hours. This new one will be the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3