• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2020 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zensunni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:34 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first episode of TAMAYOMI. As far as Yomi's "Magic Pitch" being a gimmicky pitch, it isn't really. It's a freaking curveball. It's just an extremely WICKED curveball. It breaks from approximately 1 to 7, or possibly 2 to 8, which takes it from looking like it is heading toward the right-handed batter's head, through the heart of the strike zone, to low and outside, making it hellishly hard to hit if it has any kind of speed on it or if it is mixed in with a decent fastball with a similar enough arm motion. (A friend of mine who pitched in semi-pro leagues when he was college age had a curve like that. The first time he threw it in a game the kid that was batting was so scared he bent FORWARD to try to avoid getting hit by it and it hit him square in the head, over the center of the plate. Unfortunately, the league he was playing in didn't follow the Major League rules, because if they did, that would have been a strike instead of a hit-by-pitch.)

I was also fairly impressed with the character designs. None of the girls look outrageously proportioned. There aren't any of them that appear to be there for fan service only. And, for the most part, they actually look like athletes. The girls on the team basically have the type of builds that I associate with girls who were on sports teams back when I was in school. A bit more muscular looking than average. Not too slim, but not overweight. Powerful looking legs with definition (watch Yomi pitch!) and some serious guns. (Tama). And, although the series isn't labeled as yuri, you can't convince me that there isn't some lurking there in the background! When the first thing Yomi does when reunited with her old friend is bury her face in Tama's midsection and exclaim about how she'd recognize her smell anywhere ... yeah... they're just normal... like Yuu in Bloom Into You was just Normal. And, let's face it, the title of the series is THEIR SHIP NAME!
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:58 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Wave, Listen to Me

Quote:
But as justified in her anger as Minare is, the fact of the matter is that we're basically listening to her yell for a half-hour, and that gets old really fast.

I have to agree with Rebecca here. It got old for me a little over half way through. Not sure I need to watch another installment.

The constant flow of words in addition to the ongoing er... intensity.
It gave me a headache. If she were on radio doing that for 15 minutes, I'd never. EVER. Listen to that station again.
Was it Rebecca that said she was forced to? Because that is partly true but not completely. She had ink on her finger earlier in the ep. Which means she definitely signed something with stamp and all. That the guy made her do that even though he knew she was totally drunk is a big issue.

Listeners... I liked the music, the main characters... but the plot was so unlogical. How could that guy make a gundamlike machine without reference? I know it's a fantasy series, but still. Also, amnesia is so past century.
toprak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:46 am Reply with quote
Everyone says ToG's many scenes cutted which is from webtoon
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:22 am Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:

Was it Rebecca that said she was forced to?

I don't think so? If I did, that's not what I meant; she was clearly taken advantage of but not forced.
timber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:06 am Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
The constant flow of words in addition to the ongoing er... intensity.
It gave me a headache. If she were on radio doing that for 15 minutes, I'd never. EVER. Listen to that station again.

Well, I couldn't take 5 min of that blabbering.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:21 am Reply with quote
Gosh, Kakushigoto is beautiful, especially the ocean waves that it opens with. Talk about putting your best foot forward....

....And I've been a sucker for Kumeta's aesthetic from the start.

Even if I have to rely on translator notes to pick up on 90% of the puns, I find Kumeta's writing to be great fun. ...And the puns become firmly rooted in my otherwise weak Japanese vocabulary.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:18 am Reply with quote
I wanted to watch Future's Folktales but I can't find it on Hidive so I guess it's not streaming in Scandinavia
Vehura

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While the source game may not explicitly be an otome game, it is clearly targeted at female players.

The word you are looking for is joseimuke (add it to your encyclopedia). It loosely means media targeted for women, which includes otome and bl. Companies who make games for women, such as otome games, use it more than they do "otome" these days, usually calling it something along the lines of "love game" joseimuke. It's to distinguish that the game is specifically a dating sim targeted at women.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:38 am Reply with quote
#877224 wrote:
The word you are looking for is joseimuke (add it to your encyclopedia). It loosely means media targeted for women, which includes otome and bl. Companies who make games for women, such as otome games, use it more than they do "otome" these days, usually calling it something along the lines of "love game" joseimuke. It's to distinguish that the game is specifically a dating sim targeted at women.

First time I've heard of the term, so I looked it up. This blog post gives a pretty good breakdown on joseimuke and how it relates to otome and BL; it's now my understanding that it's a blanket term that covers both plus other female-targeted media that isn't explicitly one of those, yes? Since otome more specifically refers to dating sim-type scenarios, that would, indeed, mean that Bungo and Alchemist is more properly joseimuke, and I'll definitely remember that term for future reference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:46 am Reply with quote
So Tower of God was ok. I've been looking forward to that since I read the Webtoon for awhile, but eventually dropped it, for time rather than boredom, and I thought this would be an easy way to find out what happened. The sketchy artwork is a little offputting to me, but I didn't have a problem with the info dump or pace (even though I've pretty much forgotten everything I once knew about the original story except the title and basic premise). I'm sure I'm in for at least six on this one.

Tamayomi ought to be right in my wheelhouse (sez the girl who's carried the Ace of Diamond thread alone for the last 52 episodes (shameless plug) Smile ). But I'm on the fence about this. The first ep was better than I'd expected based on the promo material, but I still can't get past them playing in shorts like it's 1945. I can feel the dirt and sand grinding into my skin already. The body proportions also look weird to me, but maybe it's the school uniforms. Often they seem to have nothing between waistline and boobs (which thankfully do seem fairly reasonable so far, and not entering the room several steps ahead of their feet). I'll give it 3 strikes before I call the game.

8th Son didn't get off to a very good start (I almost noped out after the first 5 min), but once Alfred showed up, he definitely piqued my interest. Smile There were a few interesting bits prior, and I find the character designs oddly comfortable, so I'll probably hang around until Alfred exits and the harem shows up. If Al sticks around, he might make the harem worth putting up with.

Kakushigoto is a definite keeper. It made me lol a dozen times, which seems to be rare for comedies lately. I loved the characters, the designs, the watercolor artwork with its bright palette, the voice acting, the manga titles, the Notstarbucks incantations, the puns. I can't remember anything I didn't like about it.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:21 pm Reply with quote
So hearing that Arte is based off of Artemisia Gentileschi both delights and worries me; does anyone know if a particularly harrowing event from Artemisia’s life also crops up in Arte as well (I’m willing to be spoiled on this, as my enjoyment of the show will largely hinge on this), or is this more of an “adaptation in name only” kind of affair?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:25 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
So hearing that Arte is based off of Artemisia Gentileschi both delights and worries me; does anyone know if a particularly harrowing event from Artemisia’s life also crops up in Arte as well (I’m willing to be spoiled on this, as my enjoyment of the show will largely hinge on this), or is this more of an “adaptation in name only” kind of affair?

Name only, no worries! It's very loose, and I'd be surprised if that event shows up at all from what I've read of the manga. (All four currently available-in-English volumes.) Honestly, I'll be surprised if we see a single Judith and Holofernes painting.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Sing Yesterday for me looks like it is this season's March comes in like a lion, (or maybe even Honey and Clover?) with it's floundering protagonist surrounded by an ensemble of different characters, only this time with Kei Toume character designs instead of Chika Umino's.

I agree with Rebecca's assessment that Haru treads dangerously close to the manic pixie dream girl cliche, and I hope it doesn't go there. But even if it does, I think there's a lot to be said for the editing and direction of this show, even if the animation is fairly static and plain (though fans of Yoshitoshi Abe's character designs should be drawn to Toume's art).
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:13 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
But even if it does, I think there's a lot to be said for the editing and direction of this show, even if the animation is fairly static and plain

It is definitely not flashy, but a lot of care was put into its realism and it shows. I definitely wouldn’t call it static.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
It's a little hard to want to wait out his dark period to get there. It feels like melancholy hopelessness right now, and that isn't something I'm in the mood to sit through.

I sat through all existing volumes of Sing yesterday for me ... Starting in 2001 ... patiently waiting for the next volume to be published and hoping, that the story would conclude soon. Which it didn't, until it was finally over a few years ago.
What does that make me that in your eyes? A masochist? Wink

dm wrote:
(though fans of Yoshitoshi Abe's character designs should be drawn to Toume's art).

And especially fans of Hiroaki Samura's art. Both artists share a strikingly similar art style and both graduated from the same art college around the same time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10