• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Vision of Escaflowne

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I really like the duke and the way he's presented in these episodes. The show doesn't repeatedly hit you on the head with the fact that he know that Chid isn't his but still love him and his mother. I wish more show were subtle like that.

I think these episodes are peak escaflowne, soon we'll enter wrap speed as the show try to cram everything in a few second.
Clematis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:39 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:
Loved this show, it's a shame the ending got rushed

You can blame that on executive mandate. Escaflowne was meant to be 39 episodes, but got cut down to 26, and Kazuki Akane, the director, wound up needing to cut a lot of things as a result.

O damn, it has been one of my favourite shows for many years and I had no idea things were cut (it did seem oddly rushed towards the end, thou). Any way of knowing what exactly was cut? Was it adapted from a manga/light novel? From the info ANN provides, the manga(s) are all alternate retelling :s
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Clematis wrote:
O damn, it has been one of my favourite shows for many years and I had no idea things were cut (it did seem oddly rushed towards the end, thou). Any way of knowing what exactly was cut? Was it adapted from a manga/light novel? From the info ANN provides, the manga(s) are all alternate retelling :s

No, this was an anime-original series. Unless Kawamori or Akane came out and flat-out told us (which they won’t), there’s no way to ever know what a 39-episode version would’ve looked like, and the other adaptations are no help. There are two totally different versions of the manga that were given to different authors and illustrators, one presenting a shoujo-flavored version of the story (which I haven’t read; it was poorly received so it had a very short run and was never released in English) and one a shonen-flavored version that has a sexier Hitomi and is overall more violent than the anime. That one was licensed in English, and I have it, but it’s definitely not as good. I don’t know anything about the light novels, and then there’s also the movie version, which is very different again and tonally much darker than the TV series.
Clematis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:19 am Reply with quote
Maaan, what a shame )))):
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I remember Jacob Chapman mentioning in the thread for the Escaflowne dub kickstarter that he actually asked Kazuki Akane if the whole thing about show getting suddenly cut from 39 to 26 episodes was true.

And Akane said it apparently wasn't? Or at the very least, if it did happen, it happened WAY early into the show's planning stages, back when they were still figuring out what the show was about. Back when the working title was still "Sky High Knights" or something.

I wonder if I can find that thread anywhere. But according to him at least the whole thing suddenly being shortened and plot stuff needed to be cut wasn't true.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
I remember Jacob Chapman mentioning in the thread for the Escaflowne dub kickstarter that he actually asked Kazuki Akane if the whole thing about show getting suddenly cut from 39 to 26 episodes was true.

And Akane said it apparently wasn't? Or at the very least, if it did happen, it happened WAY early into the show's planning stages, back when they were still figuring out what the show was about. Back when the working title was still "Sky High Knights" or something.

I wonder if I can find that thread anywhere. But according to him at least the whole thing suddenly being shortened and plot stuff needed to be cut wasn't true.

Yasuhiro Imagawa was the original director,when the series was to be 39 episodes(He came up with the name "Escaflowne").

Originally intended to be a shōnen series,Imagawa left before actual production started. This led to the series being shelved for two years,with Shoji Kawamori beginning other projects.

So after two years, Sunrise hired Akane as the new director.
And it was Akane who decided to go from a shōnen series to a shōjo series. He's credited with giving Hitomi a complete make over,changing her original her a curvy, air-headed, long-haired girl with glasses into the slim, athletic, short-haired and more intelligent girl we got

So,ya quite a few story changes were made pre-production once Akane took the director's chair.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:14 am Reply with quote
Lann wrote:
Funimations Escaflowne dub, that was funded by Kickstarter, is actually kinda pointless. Its not as correct to the translated subtitles as the Bandai English dub. This and the fact that the directors cut episodes are only necessary for the first few episodes.
As someone who grew up with the Ocean dub on Fox Kids, the Funimation dub is perfectly fine. And for as much nostalgia I have for the Ocean dub, it wasn’t always accurate either. I always remember Van’s “give me back my Guymelef and give me back my Escaflowne!” line. Like your Escaflowne is your Guymelef Van. And that’s not even bringing up the mess that was the Fox Kids broadcast version.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I love this show and it will forever be one of my all time favorites. One of the greatest OSTs ever. And I still imagine fan fics after that ending.

If I could do anything, I'd create a sequel story for an AAA action swordfighting/mech RPG videogame in that world rebuilding Fanelia.

It hits all my nostalgia buttons. I used toown, but then gave away the big VHS boxset for the DVD set. Still have all 4 CD soundtracks and even the movie collectors edition box.

If Bandai is looking for properties to revive, I'm in for even a spiritual prequel/sequel set on Gaia, just please bring Yoko Kanno back!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3