• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Healin' Good Precure, Gibiate, Mr. Love: Queen's Choice Anime This Summe

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:26 am Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
Tbh if CR was smart they could have simply recruited the people that have been fansubing precure for the past years they have been doing a great work with it would be shame to not use that....
They could, though they may also have OG Precure veteran samuelp in their lineup of translators. Maybe I should be waiting for that fateful e-mail from CR as well? Probably not. However, as we saw in the early 2010s, the anime viewerbase has a strange way of declaring once-loved translators to be "terrible" after they make the transition from fansubbing to working on official subtitles. Almost as if there's a desire to justify piracy at work here...

It's also worth noting that no Precure series was fansubbed on a week-to-week basis as it aired until Heartcatch in 2010-11. (Most series between Precure '04 and Fresh weren't completely fansubbed until years after they finished airing, and subs weren't available for the entire "back catalogue" until 2014 when 2008-09's Yes5 GoGo was finally finished.) By that point, most (though not all) airing series were getting official same-day subs, which freed up the few remaining fan translators that hadn't "gone pro" to work on Precure and similar little-girls titles that didn't have enough popularity/demand to get fansubbed before.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:49 am Reply with quote
It seems a bit presumptuous to assume that the fansubbers know what's best just because they've been doing it for years. I still remember the old Futari wa fansubs that kept mistranslating the Dusk Zone as the Dark Zone. As we've seen with the Viz Sailor Moon release, Toei likely has their own style guide for Precure with their own preferred name spellings etc.
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:57 am Reply with quote
The eotena are attacking

El Hermano wrote:
Glitter Force was a bust, which is probably why Precure is being simulcasted to begin with. They probably originally wanted to see if they could make it a hit with little kids here with a dub like that, and when it failed, they settled for a simulcast instead.

When it failed, they waited long enough for four other PreCure shows to premiere and end, and then settled for a simulcast instead Razz Better late than never!

TheHTRO wrote:
Now, Pretty Cure is a family franchise, which means, El Hermano, that it's a franchise for "little kids" anyway.

Where's this callout coming from? I don't see anything about El Hermano's post that in any way suggests he may be unaware of that.

TheHTRO wrote:
For this reason, I hope the subtitles don't have any kind of swearing in them just so they can "appeal to the fans".

Regardless of what adult fans want, I think Crunchyroll is aware that their subscriber base includes a lot of parents who'd like to introduce the show to their kids. I hope they're able to produce a dub. Even if not, I recall seeing a comment from a subscriber who reported that she and her young daughter loved watching Comic Girls (sub) together. And that's a seinen moe CGDCT intended for adult men. Periphery Demographic can go both ways.

P.S. Mewkledreamy is great
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:28 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It seems a bit presumptuous to assume that the fansubbers know what's best just because they've been doing it for years. I still remember the old Futari wa fansubs that kept mistranslating the Dusk Zone as the Dark Zone. As we've seen with the Viz Sailor Moon release, Toei likely has their own style guide for Precure with their own preferred name spellings etc.

Not a mistranslation, just a dumb choice by myself back in the day because I thought Dusk Zone sounded off in English.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:01 am Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
Where's this callout coming from? I don't see anything about El Hermano's post that in any way suggests he may be unaware of that.

I'm referring to this sentence:

Quote:
They probably originally wanted to see if they could make it a hit with little kids here with a dub like that, and when it failed, they settled for a simulcast instead.

To me, it implied that this user was under the impression that subtitled anime simulcasts aren't supposed to be for "little kids", which further implies that subtitled anime is somehow supposed to be translated in a way that appeals to the (especially older) fans, no matter what kind of anime it is, which I don't think is fair.

Maybe this person meant to say that, maybe they didn't, but either way, I just don't like the implication that "anime" is supposed to be for "adults", while "cartoons" are supposed to be for "little kids", and that Saban Brands somehow turned the "anime" Smile (and Doki Doki) Pretty Cure into the "cartoon" Glitter Force (and Glitter Force Doki Doki). All it is is just a "Macekred" English language "dub" of a Japanese TV show, which is technically a "cartoon" either way (some Japanese people would be calling it the same thing), and which could/would/should have had a more faith translation. Hence, I couldn't just ignore this. I felt it was necessary to point out that Pretty Cure is for "little kids", Japanese production or not.
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:36 am Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
I'm referring to this sentence:

Quote:
They probably originally wanted to see if they could make it a hit with little kids here with a dub like that, and when it failed, they settled for a simulcast instead.

To me, it implied that this user was under the impression that subtitled anime simulcasts aren't supposed to be for "little kids"(...)

It's a realistic comparison of the huge Netflix Kids market versus the relatively niche anime simulcast market. We all know that many more westerners of all ages are naturally capable of enjoying subbed or faithfully dubbed anime than currently actually do, held back by myriad factors. There's no reason to jump to the conclusion that anyone here wants to see harm of the opposite kind done to the show.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:57 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
I felt it was necessary to point out that Pretty Cure is for "little kids", Japanese production or not.

It's for little kids yet Glitter Force still felt the need to censored out tons of episodes and references to things like death and sexuality. Being for 'little kids' in Japan isn't as restricting as it is here. I don't think the Precures would be dropping F bombs, but at the same time it's always a bit eye-rolly when I see official translations refuse to use anything more than 'curses you' and 'blast it all' in serious and dramatic moments to keep it G rated. Especially if it's already a show with lots of violence and heavy topics.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Is Crunchyroll especially known for exaggerating swearing in subtitles? I'm not sure what I'm missing here.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Is Crunchyroll especially known for exaggerating swearing in subtitles? I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

I've seen people complain about them from both angles. I see people say some shows are translated too literally, some shows are translated too loose and localized. Crunchyroll has numerous translators and their style varies between shows so I've seen both kinds of translations across a number of shows.

When Detective Conan finally got simulcasted on Crunchyroll, they kept a similar style to the fansubs by leaving the same words and jokes in Japanese as the fansubs did, which did lead to people suspecting they either hired the people who were doing the fansubs or at least acknowledged what style the fans preferred. However the Conan fansub community was very well organized and dedicated while the Precure fansub community is much smaller and more scattered. There's been numerous different groups who have picked it up and quit over the years so there's not really a set style or group for it. I believe the people who were translating it for a few years stopped after Hugtto and a new group subbed Star Twinkle in their place. And I remember people not liking the way the new group translated some character names and Hikaru's catchphrase every week.
pcj

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:46 pm Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
Even if not, I recall seeing a comment from a subscriber who reported that she and her young daughter loved watching Comic Girls (sub) together. And that's a seinen moe CGDCT intended for adult men. Periphery Demographic can go both ways.

And specific to this show, my daughter started watching subtitled Yes Precure 5 was she was 5, and has watched most Precure since then. (she's 18 now). Watching subtitled anime is a great way to learn how to read more quickly. Smile
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
it's always a bit eye-rolly when I see official translations refuse to use anything more than 'curses you' and 'blast it all' in serious and dramatic moments to keep it G rated. Especially if it's already a show with lots of violence and heavy topics.

Nevertheless, it's supposed to be "G rated", at least in the sense that there's not supposed to be swearing (at all; of any kind), because it also gets "eye-rolly" when subtitles try to make a family show look more "mature" than it really is. For this reason, "serious topics" =/= making it necessary for subtitles for what is otherwise a family show to have swearing in them.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Depending on the series, Precure seems more like it’s PG than G. Even the Glitter Force dub was rated TVY7 on Netflix. Personally I don’t understand the American mindset of making sure kids never hear a bad word in TV shows or movies but are fine with all the martial arts physical violence in shows like Power Rangers or Precure. In any case, I seriously doubt Crunchyroll is going to be dropping f bombs in the subs but kuso might be translated as damn or something which has been industry standard for forever.
1dbad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I just hope it does well enough to ensure a simulcast for every Precure series going forward. And if we're lucky, for them to start working on the backlog.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:39 am Reply with quote
Considering we're talking about a Toei show, it should be the usual where Toei provides the translations themselves (including for song lyrics maybe) so there won't be any swearing, maybe some wonkyness here and there but nothing offensive.

Anyway, looking forward to Healin' Good and hope to see more Precure after this.
peno

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:27 am Reply with quote
Exactly. Not all subs on Crunchyroll are done by Crunchyroll. And Toei tends to translate their shows themselves. And considering from Digimon example, the only Toei children anime I saw subbed on Crunchyroll, they were good to keep the swearing out, so I'd expect the same will go for Precure.

TheHTRO wrote:
I hope the subtitles don't have any kind of swearing in them just so they can "appeal to the fans". It gets frustrating when a show that's clearly meant for families has subtitles that try to make it look more "mature" than it really is (Mon Colle Knights, anyone?). In fact, TV Tropes has a name for it: Spice Up the Subtitles. In any case, I hope it doesn't happen to this show.

That seems more like Discotek issue, since they did the same with Monster Rancher subs. I am already worried what they may do, should they ever release subbed Beyblade or Sonic X. Correct me if I am wrong, but they did not deny such a possibility, though they did not confirm it either, yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3