• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Switch Sells 61.44 Million Units, Animal Crossing Sells 22.4 Million Copies

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super_M

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:08 am Reply with quote
Wow, I'm not expert but that's sound like very impressive number especially for Animal Crossing. Nintendo must be very happy.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:26 am Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:
Wow, I'm not expert but that's sound like very impressive number especially for Animal Crossing. Nintendo must be very happy.
Oh, they sure are, cause they are probably never ever imagined that even the Pokemon games numbers will be extremely pale and beaten by the new Animal Crossing — of all their things.

NH is a beast that unleashed to the point that it can smash even Red/Blue/Green to that point.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:13 am Reply with quote
Pffffft! What?!
They already broke the 60 millions with the Switch and Animal Crossing the 20 millions? That's insane. I know many people bought it because of Corona but that's still a huge number, even more so if we consider that New Horizons is the worst (not bad) AC so far.

It's unbelievable how many people are willing to pay these exorbitant prices for the Switch. Nintendo won't lower these for sure if they are still selling like hotcakes. Seems like I'll never get one after all.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:05 am Reply with quote
I've thought about getting a copy of Animal Crossing, but I wasn't sure if Nintendo would keep doing content updates long-term. Seeing that more than 1/3 of Switches out there have a copy of the game, it seems that isn't such a concern.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:24 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I've thought about getting a copy of Animal Crossing, but I wasn't sure if Nintendo would keep doing content updates long-term. Seeing that more than 1/3 of Switches out there have a copy of the game, it seems that isn't such a concern.
Well, yeah — AC is the game that can work extremely well in terms of long-run content update support, and if Nin learned something from the other people (mostly the indie scene, like Stardew Valley), they can literally smash even this crazy numbers up to the sky. Game really need to up it's own thing to 11 to unleash the full potential.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:57 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Oh, they sure are, cause they are probably never ever imagined that even the Pokemon games numbers will be extremely pale and beaten by the new Animal Crossing — of all their things.

It beat Sword and Shield's numbers by 4 million it's not that impressive. It also doesn't mean much anyway being they own both IPs and made money on the sales of both games.

WANNFH wrote:
NH is a beast that unleashed to the point that it can smash even Red/Blue/Green to that point.

Are we talking in lifetime sales or sales over the same period of time cause it's most definitely not doing the former and the latter is a largely worthless metric.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:

It's unbelievable how many people are willing to pay these exorbitant prices for the Switch. Nintendo won't lower these for sure if they are still selling like hotcakes. Seems like I'll never get one after all.
I got the Switch when it first came out for around $300 when it first came out which is about usual for Nintendo systems. The regular Switch is likely more expensive now because there was a period where there was a shortage of Switches available due to the virus. You can still find the Switch Lite at decent enough prices.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:54 am Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
... even more so if we consider that New Horizons is the worst (not bad) AC so far.

Eh. Speak for yourself. That title clearly belongs to City Folk for me. New Horizons has some issues, but a lot of them are the same ones that Animal Crossing games have had in CF and beyond (poor villager interaction).

NH sets itself apart with the outdoor furniture system and the ability to sculpt the land. CF could never even dream of making a contribution like that to the series.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I got the Switch when it first came out for around $300 when it first came out which is about usual for Nintendo systems. The regular Switch is likely more expensive now because there was a period where there was a shortage of Switches available due to the virus. You can still find the Switch Lite at decent enough prices.

I think even the release price was too high and while it's true that the shortage of parts is a contributing factor for these high prices it's still mainly because Nintendo is being Nintendo. The Switch lite is even more expensive imo, because the price of that watered down model should never come even close to 200€.

Revolutionary wrote:
Eh. Speak for yourself. That title clearly belongs to City Folk for me. New Horizons has some issues, but a lot of them are the same ones that Animal Crossing games have had in CF and beyond (poor villager interaction).

NH sets itself apart with the outdoor furniture system and the ability to sculpt the land. CF could never even dream of making a contribution like that to the series.

I agree that CF is the weakest one (after NH). The outdoor furniture system is great and the terraforming is a neat little extra too. My main problem with NH is the poor villager interaction which is at its all time low. The villagers are almost non existent in NH, reducing the things to do by a large amount. New Horizons is also extremely unfinished, they had to add the swimming/diving via update and don't get me started on the holidays.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:24 am Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
I agree that CF is the weakest one (after NH). The outdoor furniture system is great and the terraforming is a neat little extra too. My main problem with NH is the poor villager interaction which is at its all time low. The villagers are almost non existent in NH, reducing the things to do by a large amount. New Horizons is also extremely unfinished, they had to add the swimming/diving via update and don't get me started on the holidays.

But you see, CF really kicked off the bad villager interaction. That game removed options when speaking to them, and they became incredibly repetitive. Meaning you could speak to them and they'd say the exact same thing twice in a row.

The difference between CF and NH is that NH has unique, well-done features to set itself apart from other Animal Crossing games, whereas... CF did not. The best thing it really did was the Pro Designs, BUT even those were ruined by the forced motion control which really made playing that game cumbersome as a whole as well.

It's obvious enough that CF was rushed together with no inspiration. Their 'new feature' was the city, which although it had one or two good ideas, really just ended up taking the random visitors and put them in one place where you had them every single day, meaning they became a daily task, instead of something that you progress with over months. That took down the replay value significantly.

I agree that villager interaction is weak in NH, but that started in CF. NH is just furthering a problem that unfortunately already existed. But NH is the better game by a wide margin because aside from that, it really is a very solid game.

Nintendo adding features post-release? That's a mixed bag, IMO. If all of the features had been there day one then there wouldn't have been anything to experience after a while and the burnout would have happened much sooner. NL had this problem for me. Despite NL being a fantastic game, it put it down quicker than any AC game, save for CF.

The thing is, they are FREE updates. If Nintendo was charging for these updates, it would be really bad, but instead since they're free, they're just a nice conveyor belt of content, IMO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1