• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jujutsu Kaisen (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I sympathize with your current view, smurky turkey. I'm not there yet (and may never be) but it's fair to say I've not been enjoying the show as much as previously. It has really become a long succession of bummers with no levity or lightness. I still maintain I will have a better appreciation of this arc when I rewatch it in bunches of episodes as opposed to week by week but by it's very nature I don't expect it to reach some of the highs of past episodes.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:34 am Reply with quote
I strongly believe in balancing things out and not offering too much of one thing for too long. Be it jokes, battles or mystery, too much of the same thing without anything to break things up and it loses some/all of the appeal. Right now it just feels like endless battles where the good guys get pounded into fleshy bits (sometimes literally). A shocking death can also have a strong impact, but if you have several in a row I just have to shrug.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:42 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
I strongly believe in balancing things out and not offering too much of one thing for too long. Be it jokes, battles or mystery, too much of the same thing without anything to break things up and it loses some/all of the appeal. Right now it just feels like endless battles where the good guys get pounded into fleshy bits (sometimes literally). A shocking death can also have a strong impact, but if you have several in a row I just have to shrug.

Oh right, we just had that other guy die when his upper torso blew up or something. The series really feels like it has been desensitising the impact of character deaths, with one of the characters I consider part of the 3 main cast now probably dead. Feels pretty bummer as Kugisaki was probably my favourite character in the show, and her eye just exploded out of her head. I have really liked her mix of feminine but tough, without any of the BS overpowered protagonist abilities, so I do feel a bit that I am going to have to figure out what I want out of the show now.

I had been kind of feeling the sort of ways when the gyaru fangirls were just suddenly killed, even though they were sort of bad guys. A lot of people are just dying the show, so I should just not get invested with anyone, because they are probably will just suddenly be killed.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:42 am Reply with quote
ep. 43 [pending]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:43 am Reply with quote

Mahito was right; the combination of Nanami and Kugisaki getting slain in full view of Itadori immediately after Sukuna's rampage did indeed bring him to his knees. A good thing Itadori isn't fighting alone; he would have died mid-season if he was. It's been a while since Toudou was in the spotlight, but if there's one person who could bring Itadori back to some kind of fighting state it would be him. The other thing Toudou brings is one of the strongest combinations the franchise can offer as far as combat synchronization is concerned: Hanami was absolutely battered when he fought the two of them together and Mahito is finding out why. Fake memories be damned: Mechamaru bet everything on Toudou salvaging the situation and he's carrying the situation right now.

Interesting memory Itadori had of Kugisaki just after Mahito took out her face. I place it as just after the first episode of the Shibuya Incident. The significance is enough: Kugisaki together with Fushiguro were his best mates and her death (99% probability) hits him hard. Perhaps he should have thought more carefully about the answer to the question the Headteacher posed him way back in season one: if he did he wouldn't need Toudou to give him the metaphorical kick up the backside nor would Mahito's taunts have cut so deeply (for the lack of action this episode has relative to previous weeks, the performance of the VAs certainly makes up for it, especially Mahito. I'm not just hearing the insanity, I can almost feel it).

Mahito's monologue mid-fight is interesting as there's a paradox to it: He might claim he's down to 40% thanks to Kugisaki's lingering curse, but he also says no matter how hard the pair hit him he's going to win the war of attrition because they can't get him below a certain threshold. If that was the case, why bother estimating how much "HP" he had remaining when he can't be dealt a fatal blow? Casual viewers have already said how bored they are by this arc; I for one still look forward to what outlandish action set-pieces the arc still has to throw at us and think what kind of lateral thinking or twist it would take for the pair to somehow turn the tables.

All of the negativity surrounding the orgy of action this arc has delivered on a near-weekly basis leads me to draw the following conclusions:

1. If you don't like the show, watch something else.

2. From Youtube's many reaction videos, the source material crowd absolutely love the adaptation output (and lament how it could have been so much better given more time and less stress on the animators) and absolutely hate the means by which it got to this point. And if they're happy, then the formula will probably continue as the creator has already shown on multiple occasions he doesn't conform to type for issues like plot armour or pacing.

[EDIT: Removed some condescension. -TK]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I totally forgot about Todo, and probably my favourite character after the one we may have just lost.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that it is nice to be able to voice complaints/doubts about a series and be able to discuss those in a calm fashion. The whole thing makes me think about other shows that I watch or watched that also had a lot of battles. Those never bothered me, so maybe it is the mix of constant battles and the rather long succession of bummers that Blood mentioned. Though I suppose that the whole bummer vibe is core of the arc in that they are losing control.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:31 pm Reply with quote
This episode was much more to my liking compared to the previous few. There was humour, there was the reappearance of Itador's "bruzer" and 98% of the screentime was not devoted to a lot of motion trying to convince me that some sort of cool fight was going on. More like this, please.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I agree that it feels very refreshing to just enjoy some dumb jokes and bro time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:25 pm Reply with quote
...oh and best of all: it's not 100% that Nobara is actually dead.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:41 am Reply with quote
True, though I feel that saving her might not be an easy task.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:47 pm Reply with quote
20:

I swear, the sun around my place rose when Todo showed up.

smurky turkey wrote:
True, though I feel that saving her might not be an easy task.

If Nobara has to sport an eye patch later à la AoT Hange, she would look more badass and I would like her more.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:18 am Reply with quote
ep. 44 [pending]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:32 pm Reply with quote

There's plenty to like in this episode. Not much airtime left so the animators are giving it one final push, and it shows. Presentation aside, there's a few visual details which I like as they hark back to episodes which aired earlier in the season.

As expected, Mahito has the upper hand almost from start to finish. He even learnt from his previous encounter with Nanami and Itadori in season one and adapted lessons learnt from Gojou in this season. He didn't rely on a battle of attrition and went for the trump card which neither expected. Just about everything executed to perfection, so it took a sacrifice from Todou to give Itadori the smallest of opportunities which he fully exploited. He even did it without relying on Sukuna, though not surprising given Sukuna wouldn't be called upon after his exploits earlier this season. Itadori too learnt from his own fuels this season; the time lag was from his fight together with Fushiguro against the rogue sorcerer. Also, the exposed cut on Itadori's face reminded me of Sukuna when he's speaking to Itadori in season one.

Yet in spite of their efforts, Geto's timing means everything could be for nought. But if there's one thing I'll remember about this season, it's that the momentum is rarely going the way some might anticipate. There's still airtime and possibly more deaths on both camps to come, and I'm not missing any of it whatever happens.

[EDIT: Condescension removed. -TK]
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:53 am Reply with quote
45:

Words can't explain how brilliant Todo's imagination scene was.

I remember that JJK's animation took a huge dip around the same time when AoT's grand finale was out. Judging by how visually spectacular that AotT episode, I think it could have been a trade-off at JJK's expense. Now that we're on the home stretch with just two episodes, I hope the production values don't drop anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14