• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Licenses Evangelion TV Series & Death (True)2, End of Evangelion Films for BD, DL

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swami.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Funimation’s taking the big L on this one.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:03 pm Reply with quote
WHAT?!

GKIDS coming out of nowhere with the win! I want this so, so bad. I wonder if it'll feature both English dubs, or just the Netflix one (my preferred English dub, but I understand a lot of people are nostalgic for the ADV one). Whichever, the Japanese version is always there, and you can't really beat that.

I just hope "Fly Me to the Moon" is restored, thank you very much, the estate of Bart Howard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm worried about whether or not Funi will get 3.0+1.0. It seems like they lost the entire Rebuild license and if GKIDS gets the movies they might not go to Mike McFarland et al for the dub on it.

I'll probably get this regardless, Netflix dub or not. I know the dub has issues script wise but Casey was a good Shinji voice.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:13 pm Reply with quote
For preservation sake I hope it will contain both English dubs (ADV and Netflix), Fly Me to the Moon ending, a fresh subtitle translation separate from ADV or Netflix, and bonus points for including both director's and non-director's cut for the final episodes.
The first two would be the most important to me. It just depends on if ADV and Studio Khara are willing to allow this. I'll probably be purchasing no matter what but I also hope they'll do a collector's edition (not plain steelbook).
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Whoa.

No, seriously, whoa!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?????

How? HOW?! Of all the companies to actually manage to license this for BR, Gkids actually pulled it off?! They usually license movies, and only ever licensed two other shows, both of them being too obscure to really be noticed! How did they manage to put together the money to license this?! HOW?! What black magic did they conjure to achieve this?! I'm not an Eva fan myself, but I know many will be super happy about this. And yes, I'm also wondering if they'll get the ADV dub or Fly Me To The Moon, though knowing them, they'll probably pull it off somehow. It wouldn't be Evangelion without it, and I'm sure GKids knows this.

But seriously, how?! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Huh.

An unexpected but pleasant surprise. Here's hoping they give it the special release that Anime Unlimited was planning for it, and that they include both English dubs.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, must admit this took me by surprise. I recall hearing about rights to the 90s anime being quite expensive as such that Funimation passed on acquiring them. GKids must have went through hoops to get video and digital release rights for them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Considering that GKIDS already confirmed an "Ultimate Edition" is in the works, I'm just going to put my bet down right now:

The ADV dub will only be available via the Ultimate Edition.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but I just fully expect Khara to pull what Sunrise did with Gundam Seed & restrict the availability of the original dub to a limited edition physical release. Theatrical showings, digital distribution, & even the standard edition boxset release will only be for the Netflix dub, I'm sure of it.

Again, though, I want to be proven wrong with this. I have no real interest in Evangelion, but I fully acknowledge its influence & importance. I just think Khara will prioritize its new dub, while knowing that it can't simply ignore the ADV dub, so they'll just make it much less available to get a hold of now.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:33 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
For preservation sake I hope it will contain both English dubs (ADV and Netflix), Fly Me to the Moon ending, a fresh subtitle translation separate from ADV or Netflix, and bonus points for including both director's and non-director's cut for the final episodes.

The "Netflix" translation for both the subtitle script and the new dub came straight from one of Khara's in-house translators so no way they're changing it (shame their hamfisted attitude hurt the new dub a bit, but I did like it despite the problems)

Anyway this is awesome news. Look forward to having it on my shelf
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:35 pm Reply with quote
THIS IS A HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT! I'm sure every anime distributor wanted this with a passion, so I'm very surprised (and happy) to see it's GKIDS. That being said, this release has GOT to restore Fly Me to the Moon for (at least) the blu ray release. It might "just be the ending", but it's equally as important to the Eva legacy as it's opening is.

Definitely going to be keeping on eye on what they do with this info. Also, please let the subtitles be better than Netflix's - beyond translation quibbles, the biggest issue is how poorly the on-screen text is handled. Hopefully they take great care in those regards.

Lord Geo wrote:
Considering that GKIDS already confirmed an "Ultimate Edition" is in the works, I'm just going to put my bet down right now:

The ADV dub will only be available via the Ultimate Edition.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but I just fully expect Khara to pull what Sunrise did with Gundam Seed & restrict the availability of the original dub to a limited edition physical release. Theatrical showings, digital distribution, & even the standard edition boxset release will only be for the Netflix dub, I'm sure of it.[snip]

Given that there's no new footage or director's cut material when it comes to the ADV dub versus the new Netflix dub (unlike with Vision of Escaflowne & Gundam Seed), I really hope they decide to do the right thing and include both. That'd be a big win for fans to have more options than less - if the Akira Blu Ray from FUNi was able to have even the Streamline dub on their release, I'd hope they include both dubs on this one.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

I hope I'm wrong about this, but I just fully expect Khara to pull what Sunrise did with Gundam Seed & restrict the availability of the original dub to a limited edition physical release. Theatrical showings, digital distribution, & even the standard edition boxset release will only be for the Netflix dub, I'm sure of it.

I hope not. How Sunrise/Rightstuf is treating the Ocean dub of SEED is pretty bad by itself but if it was the beginning of a trend, I don't think I'd like where it'd be going, especially given what it could mean for (potential) newer fans that want to experience everything, including both versions of the English dub.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Please have the ADV/Manga dubs. Outside Shinji’s voice, I didn’t care for the Netflix dub one bit. I know the ADV dub hasn’t aged the best, but I think it’s much more memorable and inspired, and just has more charm to it IMO. I especially love Allison Keith as Misato. Apparently the Italian distributor suggested that their upcoming Blu-ray might NOT have their Netflix dub, but that may have to do with its notorious poor quality.

Either way, I found a used copy (in perfect condition) of the ADV Platinum Collection Holiday Edition at 2nd & Charles a year or so ago for only $35, but because of my store credit, paid only $1.78. What a deal for something that’s regularly gone for hundreds on eBay. I also own the old terrible Manga DVDs for Death/Rebirth and End of Eva, so at least I already own copies of the old dub, and I’ll still be picking this up regardless. Like everyone else, I’m very curious to see who dubs 3.0+1. I REALLY hope it’s the FUNi cast for consistency. If GKIDS gets it, I’ll feel better since they got the Geneon/Phuuz/Epcar cast back for a Lupin III: The First.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:48 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
Given that there's no new footage or director's cut material when it comes to the ADV dub versus the new Netflix dub (unlike with Vision of Escaflowne & Gundam Seed), I really hope they decide to do the right thing and include both. That'd be a big win for fans to have more options than less - if the Akira Blu Ray from FUNi was able to have even the Streamline dub on their release, I'd hope they include both dubs on this one.

I believe Shawne Kleckner has admitted that Sunrise's feelings about the old Seed dub is that it's more or less pointless because they have the new dub, and only agreed to allow the old dub to be included as an Ultimate-exclusive so as to placate the old fans. New content or not, it's not really all that dissimilar to how Khara likely feels about Evangelion's original dub, i.e. "We got a new dub that adheres to what we want from it, since we produced it ourselves, so why should we care about that old dub that we had little to no involvement in?".

That being said, Khara isn't that ignorant. They know that, while there was really nothing anyone could do with Netflix, they could actually lose potential buyers if the ADV is completely ignored for GKIDS release. That's why I'm guessing they're going to just restrict its availability; that way, those who REALLY want it will have to spend more to get it.

GNPixie wrote:
I hope not. How Sunrise/Rightstuf is treating the Ocean dub of SEED is pretty bad by itself but if it was the beginning of a trend, I don't think I'd like where it'd be going, especially given what it could mean for (potential) newer fans that want to experience everything, including both versions of the English dub.

The trend has already existed, sadly, because old dubs aren't always preserved. The re-releases of Black Magic M-66 & New Dominion Tank Police don't include their old English dubs, neither Streamline dub for Nadia nor Vampire Hunter D were in their respective BD releases, the upcoming Locke the Superman BD won't include the English dub that Discotek had previously included in their DVD release, Zillion's recent releases don't include the unfinished dub, etc.
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:56 pm Reply with quote
*Trixie Mattel scream*

But for real, this came out of nowhere. I'm excited for it. Echoing everyone's sentiments, I also hope that GKIDS includes both English dubs, Fly Me To The Moon, etc. otherwise, I'll keep my old ADV dvds.

Last edited by deathfromabove1993 on Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Hoping both the ADV and Netflix dubs will be available... I felt like whatever was gained in voice acting quality was lost in that godawful, stilted and unnatural script on Netflix, so I have a preference for neither (or rather, the subbed version). REALLY hoping for fly me to the moon, though. So much is lost when that song is cut.

I also have no faith but dream of a better subtitle track. Khara are so strict with Eva they ruin their own work as a result. Insane to me that a bunch of monolingual Japanese people believe they know best about what would work best in the English speaking world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6