• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Almost makes you feel that Kagome is better off with Inu Yashi, than with her own family.
Uchay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:41 am Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, because it's been literal years since I last touched Inuyasha, but I do remember her mother/grandpa being sorta...blasé about their 15 years-old grand/daughter making such lengthy trips to a violent era with literal demons that were after her head, but maybe they just never knew exactly how dangerous those trips were, since she always returned and I do think they meet Inuyasha relatively early, so they know she isn't alone at least.
On her last trip, they most likely knew she had come to the decision to stay with Inuyasha and they wouldn't be seeing her again.

The thing with her family is always sorta skipped through in the original so, ehh...now that I think about it, it's not really believable even in the original, but I guess "family" was never one of the most important themes in Inuyasha? It's a bit different with Yashahime, and the whole thing really wasn't handled well lol
Violet Park

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Uchay wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, because it's been literal years since I last touched Inuyasha, but I do remember her mother/grandpa being sorta...blasé about their 15 years-old grand/daughter making such lengthy trips to a violent era with literal demons that were after her head, but maybe they just never knew exactly how dangerous those trips were, since she always returned and I do think they meet Inuyasha relatively early, so they know she isn't alone at least.
On her last trip, they most likely knew she had come to the decision to stay with Inuyasha and they wouldn't be seeing her again.

The thing with her family is always sorta skipped through in the original so, ehh...now that I think about it, it's not really believable even in the original, but I guess "family" was never one of the most important themes in Inuyasha? It's a bit different with Yashahime, and the whole thing really wasn't handled well lol

Family was actually a big deal in Inuyasha. Inuyasha inherited his dad's sword and had to deal with his estranged brother, Miroku wanted to have children before the curse consumed him, Sango wanted to avenge her clan and save her brother... Kagome's folks sometimes were too chill with the travels to the past but they never seemed so cold that they wouldn't give a crap when given the miraculous chance of meeting Kagome's child and ask how Kagome is doing.
Uchay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Violet Park wrote:

Family was actually a big deal in Inuyasha. Inuyasha inherited his dad's sword and had to deal with his estranged brother, Miroku wanted to have children before the curse consumed him, Sango wanted to avenge her clan and save her brother... Kagome's folks sometimes were too chill with the travels to the past but they never seemed so cold that they wouldn't give a crap when given the miraculous chance of meeting Kagome's child and ask how Kagome is doing.

Yeah, that's true. I also remember there was a plot on going with the relationship between Inuyasha and his mother, and Shippo's whole backstory. I guess I only remembered the bit about Kagome's family not getting a lot of screentime and forgot the other parts. There were some other side stories about family and stuff too...

Yashahime probably just wants to keep the whole mystery about the original protagonists going for as long as it can, so it's avoiding even mentioning them like a plague when it can. I know that the only thing that's keeping me in the show is Moroha's antics and the curiousity about what happened to them exactly.

The way they are going on about this is stretching my suspension of disbelief to its limits though. It's like people are purposely ignoring the elephant in the room for no good reason and it's driving me insane.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12: Sigh... They actually introduced another benefit of Setsuna losing her sleep/dreams to the butterfly demon. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if its revealed that the butterfly demon is a good guy
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Uchay wrote:

Yashahime probably just wants to keep the whole mystery about the original protagonists going for as long as it can, so it's avoiding even mentioning them like a plague when it can.

I can see that, but the way they are going about it will make any forthcoming relevation not very impactful to the viewer. The viewers are not going to care, because Moroha hasn't cared at all.

Uchay wrote:
The way they are going on about this is stretching my suspension of disbelief to its limits though. It's like people are purposely ignoring the elephant in the room for no good reason and it's driving me insane.

It is making Moroha less than human, even if she is half demon/half human. She is not someone we can care about.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:14 am Reply with quote
Sad They just gave Setsuna ANOTHER advantage of getting her dreams eaten, now she is ALSO inmune to the effects of the new moon thanks to it.

Who the hell is writing this?

I sincerely don't get it, this is not "This anime sucks because in page 307 of the 40th Inuyasha artbook, only available on an internet lottery, in a footnote it's said that..." uber-nerd complain.

This is basic writing, you need to make the audience want empatice with Setsuna and root for Towa's quest, but every 3 episodes the "Curse" ends up being useful, it's almost as if the writers want Towa to look like an egoistical jerk.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:21 am Reply with quote
The way this show has been handling the cast makes it look like they are marketing it towards kids and/or can't put too much violence in the story. Even before Tessaiga, Inuyasha's wounds and attacks were quite graphic to the point some localizations had to "pause" these scenes. Here, the cast are basically immune to anything and I don't remember seeing blood falling. It feels like what Bee Train did to Tsubasa before Production I.G adapted some volumes which were far more violent.
LumRanmaYasha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I had to consult the wikis, but Nikosen is indeed a villain from the original InuYasha. For those of you that were familiar with the character: Did recognizing Nikosen enhance or detract from your enjoyment of this episode at all?

Interestingly enough, all the demons from the past four episodes - Meioju, Ginka & Kinka, the Man-Eating Pond, and Nikosen - are all from the original manga. They specifically appear during the Moryomaru arc (between volumes 41 through 43 specifically), the former two being demons that the titular antagonist devours while the latter two are ones InuYasha encountered on his journey in-between encounters with him. The storylines featuring them were either heavily abridged (Meioju & Ginka/Kinka) or never adapted (Man-Eating Pond & Nikosen) in InuYasha: The Final Act, so I guess they decided to make use of them for this show. The only thing I've found that has detracted from their appearances is that they've retconned Meioju and Ginka/Kinka to be demon species instead of just individuals, despite there being no indication of that in the original manga.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is anyone even going to try and inquire about where the original crew has wandered off to?

Much too late for that now. Moroha isn't the slightest bit curious about her own parents. You'd think it would trip some interest once she met her grandparents, but oh well.

Might be as another poster said, that the writer will probably hold this off for awhile. Will probably see something near the end of the second half. Better be some grand 'deus ex machina' that explains Moroha's complete lack of interest. But if it is a result of bad guys, then there needs to be a lot of blood spilled. But I get the feeling that the writer is going to make this everyday occurrence. "Yeah, children are taken from their parents everyday, it is part of life, no big deal"
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:01 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
The way this show has been handling the cast makes it look like they are marketing it towards kids and/or can't put too much violence in the story. Even before Tessaiga, Inuyasha's wounds and attacks were quite graphic to the point some localizations had to "pause" these scenes. Here, the cast are basically immune to anything and I don't remember seeing blood falling. It feels like what Bee Train did to Tsubasa before Production I.G adapted some volumes which were far more violent.

iirc Moroha used the blood fang technique the first time she transformed so there must have been a bit of blood. But yes the show is pretty tame (which is very strange since the primary audience, people who watched the original, would be well into adulthood by now). I don't think we'll see anything like when Inuyasha cut off Seshomaru arms.

And yeah I agree at this point that they'll eventually reveal that the butterflies is actually a good guy, no one can be so incompetent as to constantly give advantages to something that's supposed to be bad. But it really doesn't help make the quest exciting and its weird that no one point out it out, least of which Setsuna.
Uchay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Good Girls don't draw blood or bleed copiously Rolling Eyes

Can we admire the fact this series is into its 12th episode and there's has been little to nothing worthwhile happening, not even relating to character development? I know Inuyasha was slow, but even with almost 200 episodes, I'm pretty sure a lot of things had already happened by episode 12. Sesshomaru appears in episode 7 doesn't he?

How many episodes is this going to have?
db999

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I seem to be enjoying this show a lot more than others seem to, but I still don't think the series is all that great. A lot has been said about the pacing issues Yashahime suffers compared to Inuyasha, but it is definitely a lot more slow-paced than its predecessor. People love to complain about how slow the pacing in Inuyasha is, myself included, however, it's not actually until really late in the series that the pacing becomes slow. I always remember the first hundred or so episodes being paced pretty well and having just rewatched the show over the summer I can say I don't think the pacing becomes a problem until after the Band of Seven arc. After that arc, I find the pacing to be every bit as slow as its detractors say.

Back to Yashahime, other than the pacing problems I'm finding the biggest issue to be that of what the characters want and what the audience wants. The problem is that as an audience member I want to know what happened to the previous cast, but the characters couldn't care less. One of the core mysteries and main draws to the show is something the actual characters have absolutely no interest in whatsoever. Not to mention that the characters are still really undeveloped. I really want to love this show, but while I still enjoy the show most weeks, Yashahime just seems to be of middling quality throughout. The show really needs to start stepping up it's game before the new season of shows start to air or I'm probably going to drop the series.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:50 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
But if it is a result of bad guys, then there needs to be a lot of blood spilled.

Characters' blood or writers' blood? Twisted Evil
RR529

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:42 pm Reply with quote
The two big issues I had with the episode are that they really jumped through a lot of hoops so only Towa would lose her powers, and not until now (being in the future interrupts it, the Dream Butterfly "curse" interrupts it, being a quarter demon immunizes you from it), and they seemed to change the rules in a big way in that the way Myoga explained it, it seems like the New Moon is the weakness period for all half demons naturally born (unless it was supposed to be inferred that was the day of weakness for half demons in their bloodline specifically, and it didn't come across in the subtitles), in which case I can't imagine it'd be all that much of a secret.

Otherwise I agree with the sentiment that the series overall seems so much "cleaner" than the original in terms of some of the edgier content & innuendo (similar problems I had with Dragon Ball Super). I'm honestly surprised the gag with Moroha walking around Sota's apartment with nothing on made it in (come to think of it, that was the same episode Setsuna killed the centipede demon, which is the only time there was a noticeable amount of blood).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 29