• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TorrentFreak: MPA Lawyers Send Letters to Alleged Nyaa Site Personnel to Shut Site Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:56 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

capt_bunny wrote:

According to some people's logic "anime is a luxury."

Um, that's how its investors and creators intend it...?

Incorrect. They intend it to be, and it is, a commodity.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
"Dozens of streaming sites," really? You don't even need a dozen sites to get every anime that's legally available in the US, and the vast majority are on less than half as many sites. And as someone who's personally translated and uploaded numerous older Precure episodes on the site in question, I can tell you that it's far from an "internationally popular" franchise.
It’s mostly calmed down some now mainly because Sony and Funimation are positioning themselves to now control almost the whole US market but there was a time not too long ago where we had Funimation, Crunchyroll, Sentai, Netflix, and Amazon all trying to outbid each other for shows and companies signing onto co-productions so they can nab shows early on in the bidding wars. But also a lot of anime fans do subscribe to non-anime specific sites for non-anime interests like Disney+ and CBS All Access and now HBO Max as now pretty much every corporation wants to have their own streaming site instead of the old days when it was all on Netflix or Hulu.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
capt_bunny wrote:

According to some people's logic "anime is a luxury."

Um, that's how its investors and creators intend it...?

Um, and then why isn't my money good enough for them...?

Again: here I am trying to give them money for the digital(!!!) content I want, and they're either not giving me that content for my money, or not letting me give them my money in the first place. So um, who are people harming, exactly, by not paying for content they quite literally can't pay for even if they want to?

Geoblocking is poison, especially geoblocking that's done with no purpose whatsoever, like in this case.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
Incorrect. They intend it to be, and it is, a commodity.

I agree with you in a pedantic sense but I believe Zalis' original point still stands. Is it not true that all commodities other than food, water, shelter, and clothing are luxuries? Perhaps throwing in an exception for for medical care? Anime is certainly not required for life therefore I'd argue it's thoroughly in the "luxury" category as opposed to the "necessity" category.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:14 pm Reply with quote
There’s also the issue of media preservation which I feel like this would make much harder especially with the anime licenses tend to only last five to seven years and whether a show gets rescued licensed again depends on how successful it was when it came out a lot of the time and how much money a company thinks they can make money off of. Something like Nadia The Secret of Blue Water which recently expired for Sentai will probably be rescued licensed by Discotek at some point. But something like the Drifters anime probably won’t be anytime soon. But then it’s been years now and we still don’t have a rescue license of some shows like Monster and Planetes is just now getting a UK release.
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going to say which side of the fence I'm on but I will say that I hate goddamn copyright trolls and a good vpn is your best friend if you torrent.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:01 am Reply with quote
fudge you toxic corporations, don't make me change my RSS settings again.

Badej wrote:
So much this. Funimation's geoblocking is even more obnoxious as I can't even access their bloody website. Why. would. you. geoblock. a. website. in. 2020.

Maybe to avoid complying with GDPR in any way, shape or form.
Ragnarok Online publisher WarpPortal did the same, only they didn't even have the decency to put up a "we're sorry" page and instead lets the connection time out.

Anyway, gotta love capitalism. They sure do love globalization when it directly makes them money but fudge it with a stick when they can't control all of th emoney flow.

TarsTarkas wrote:
The danger in using Nyaa is because of how torrenting works. If you have to use it, use it only for rare and old (really old, not new age old) anime.

Let's not forget what Funimation did some years ago. Don't wish that on anyone.

Did it actually go anywhere? Because it seemed like a scaremongering action with little basis on actual laws.
Not gonna stop anyway, 80% of what I watch isn't legally availiable here and for the remaining 20% I prefer watching it locally instead of streaming.
Badej

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:32 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
fudge you toxic corporations, don't make me change my RSS settings again.

Badej wrote:
So much this. Funimation's geoblocking is even more obnoxious as I can't even access their bloody website. Why. would. you. geoblock. a. website. in. 2020.

Maybe to avoid complying with GDPR in any way, shape or form.
Ragnarok Online publisher WarpPortal did the same, only they didn't even have the decency to put up a "we're sorry" page and instead lets the connection time out.

Anyway, gotta love capitalism. They sure do love globalization when it directly makes them money but fudge it with a stick when they can't control all of th emoney flow.

Yeah I was initially thinking of the GDPR too, but they are geoblocking their site way before the GDPR came into effect.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:56 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Nyaa doesn't actually store copyrighted files, which was a loophole a lot of torrent sites have been using for decades now. This should be interesting

I don't think this defence holds water anymore based on how other torrent sites have been taken down. That or companies have realised that targeting the individuals running everything rather than the site itself seems to be more successful.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:09 pm Reply with quote
so assuming they do take nyaa down, how are they going to go after people that keep their files?
Nate148

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Same way games and movies do it see if user is seeding and if so send a C&D to the users isp other wise they do not care as much
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:32 pm Reply with quote
"THIS TIME we'll end Napster for good!!!"
"THIS TIME Kazaa will be stopped for good!!!"

I'm enjoying the ride, no really.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Thanks America, really thank you! Now that anime is starting to be mainstream, as always they try to capitalize on it. Funny how MPA don't just want a cease and desist, but also want the damn rights for the domain and site.
lostrune

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Did it actually go anywhere? Because it seemed like a scaremongering action with little basis on actual laws.

Nah. Funimation dropped the lawsuits pretty quick. If I recall correctly then-marketing manager Lance Heiskell even admitted it was just a scare tactic and it had no basis to go through court and they were just trying to look tough on piracy. The whole "only pirate older series" thing is no more true than that old emulation mantra of "only download/play ROMs for games you actually own".
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:31 am Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
The whole "only pirate older series" thing is no more true than that old emulation mantra of "only download/play ROMs for games you actually own".

Speak for yourself. I used to torrent all the anime I watched. Nowadays with so many (nonpirate) streaming options I mostly torrent old anime, *coff*Baccano!*coff* not because I am pure of heart, simply there is little reason to put the extra effort (and hard disk space) when I can watch it on demand. Yeah, I have to watch a few commercials pauses, do not mind at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4