• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:22 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
If you've watched 4 episodes of this show and haven't identified anything that somebody might find objectionable there is no point me trying to explain it to you. Just understand that people have different levels of tolerance for things. All I can tell you is that both Redo and Jobless have attracted a lot of negative attention at ANN for the behaviour/attitude of their MCs, so it's not like I'm off in La-la Land here. Also, if you are going to bother responding to other posters - and want to have a constructive conversation - it would be great to adopt a less strident tone.

Thank you! seriously, this thread has had two people with strident tones and it's just the worst kind of way to come at a response.
Snowcat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:41 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
If you've watched 4 episodes of this show and haven't identified anything that somebody might find objectionable there is no point me trying to explain it to you. Just understand that people have different levels of tolerance for things. All I can tell you is that both Redo and Jobless have attracted a lot of negative attention at ANN for the behaviour/attitude of their MCs, so it's not like I'm off in La-la Land here. Also, if you are going to bother responding to other posters - and want to have a constructive conversation - it would be great to adopt a less strident tone.

My bad if it was strident, but if the only common point is the MC behavior, i still think it's unfair to compare the two series : between one who rapes and tortures, and the other who steal panties, there is clearly a gap for me. So you probably can understand why comparing this serie to a borderline hentai seemed out of place for me...
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:02 am Reply with quote
Once again, I find myself wondering about the much more interesting show that isn't here.

The description of Paul's actions in the past is actually kind of ambiguous, rather than clearly rape. The Japanese phrase is could easily cover him sneaking into her room and initiating some consensual hanky-panky. Why is Lilia still hanging around? What exactly is her relationship to the family? Do the social mores of that world require a young lady to describe a consensual encounter in those terms, or is her situation so messed up that she has to hang around with her rapist? How does the family adjust to their new incredibly awkward arrangement? I assume the neighbors would come to the correct conclusion about Lilia's kid, how does it affect their social standing?

All interesting questions to me, and the show couldn't possibly care less. Instead, it says "oh, that guy, anyway, on to bigamy life!" and focuses on the least interesting character.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:08 am Reply with quote
My thing is wondering how poor old Sylphie is gonna feel when she finds out that Crudey Rudy is splitsville.

Snowcat wrote:
My bad if it was strident, but if the only common point is the MC behavior, i still think it's unfair to compare the two series : between one who rapes and tortures, and the other who steal panties, there is clearly a gap for me. So you probably can understand why comparing this serie to a borderline hentai seemed out of place for me...

I get where you are coming from. And I don't think for a second that Rudy is on the same level as the MC from Redo. In my mind, the two shows are linked because they are the two where a significant number of posters (including me) are repulsed by both leads in the discussion threads... although, again, it's stipulated that Redo is much worse. My original point was that at least Jobless has a fair amount going on that isn't ugh, whereas Redo is just virtually 100% ugh all the time.
Snowcat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for your answer, i may have missed the nuance in your previous comment and have overreacted.
Quote:
The description of Paul's actions in the past is actually kind of ambiguous, rather than clearly rape. The Japanese phrase is could easily cover him sneaking into her room and initiating some consensual hanky-panky. Why is Lilia still hanging around? What exactly is her relationship to the family? Do the social mores of that world require a young lady to describe a consensual encounter in those terms, or is her situation so messed up that she has to hang around with her rapist? How does the family adjust to their new incredibly awkward arrangement? I assume the neighbors would come to the correct conclusion about Lilia's kid, how does it affect their social standing?

Some of these questions could indeed be interesting to develop the world and the social aspect of their society but the writing doesn't seem to care a lot about details (or the anime adaptation has cut a lot of them). Seeing how heavy-handed the MC was depicted as gross, i don't think the author will write anything in the story with finesse.
zatheus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:28 am Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
Im not accusing anyone in this thread (where have I accused anyone here? I don't see it), it's in the other threads where people are going out of their way to defend Rudy's actions and just anyone who's like "oh this is realistic" like, no it's not. And people are defending Paul's actions like he's some redeemable individual when no, once you open up that he was a rapist, there is no going back from there.

The bold part. Please understand, I view each of these threads as different rooms in a house, and you came in to this room complaining about what is going on in another room. Honestly, truly no offense intended, it came across to me as very pearl clutching. I 100% agree with you that Paul is not redeemable once the rape thing came out. But that still opens up a whole can of questions as to why Lilia even became his maid in the first place. Literally all the stories I have read and watched, the only thing that could come close to making it a better situation would be; if it was consensual and they got caught and Paul lied to save her honor or being kicked out of wherever they were both studying swordsmanship. So right now he is completely irredeemable in my eyes, but if it comes out later that something like that happened I would have to change my views with the new information. I will not be holding my breath on that theory though.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:48 am Reply with quote
It's fine, but yeah some of the other threads were wooooooooooof in terms of the ep review stuff and I'm also just watching it to see where it goes, though sadly more for work than anything else :/
helln00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:20 am Reply with quote
Tbh The more I watch the anime, the more I appreciate what the manga did in polishing up the story in these early parts. I dont know what happens in the later parts that people say makes the manga a bad adaptation but character and interaction wise it just removes a lot of unnecessary things that makes it tonally hard to swallow.

Paul is still an adulterer, but not rapist. Rudy is a pervert(tone down abit) and sounds like the typical isekai protag, but the story kicks off with him wanting new life and works on it, and doesn't have this condescending tone about him(though i do have to wonder how much of that is due to the anime giving his inner voice a prominent part in the show).

The best way I can describe the difference between anime and manga Rudy is that Manga Rudy feels like a kid with memories of his past life and anime Rudy feels like a guy trapped in a kids body, which I think have much more profound implication on how he is perceived in his perversion (even before you get to the potential pedo stuff, which was mercifully scrapped in the manga).

Edit: so as it turns out, the manga does mention the rape, just in a side chapter away from the main story, which wasnt translated when I read it. That disappoint me a bit but atleast they organised it so that it doesn't just hit like a damn truck during emotional moments.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Ep 5 is easily the best so far, excellent action and really drives home how grounded this world is as well as exploring the brutal reality of what dealing with tsundere would be like. God help Rudy if he ever runs into a yandere.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this five year ban on contact means we don't have to see or hear from rapist, pedo-encourager and all round garbage person Paul or Rudy's nauseating acceptance/admiration of him.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:54 pm Reply with quote
episode 5 was better, but there are still plenty of problematic elements to it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:15 am Reply with quote
I imagine that being told that you cannot even contact home for an amount of time that would be 5/7 of your life would probably damage your relationship with your son. It is like he would want Rudy to cease contact even after that. The too dependant as 7 year old's is a pretty poor excuse, especial if Sylphy would go back to being a lone victim of discrimination, I imagine that would spoil the relationship. He could not even send the farewell letter without creeping on her in an objectifying manner. What kind of way to raise someone where you treat women in terms of how one can bed them, especially when his wife is evidently not okay with it.

First real action, and some blood.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:25 am Reply with quote
Huh. Didn't realize this show was going to cross over with Shakugan no Shana.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:55 am Reply with quote
Ah another episode of pedophilia and sexual assault played for laughs with zero consequences for the main character outside getting hit a few times. The only reasonable response to a scene like that would have been Eris going to her father and Rudy being fearful of being executed for assaulting a nobles daughter and at the very least being sent packing right back to his degenerate father.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Why the hell does this show think that it can get away with things like trying to strip the underwear off of his underage cousin? Why the hell is it appropriate that some random store owner has to try and convince a child to buy an aphrodisiac that sounds a lot like some sort of roofie potion. Is it meant to be charming that the grandfather manipulates his granddaughter into acting like a bunny girl, with him having hire a beast girl only maids?

There is room for that last one to maybe have some sort of charming element, but considering the rest of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5