• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Evangelion Film Delayed Again Due to COVID-19

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Southkaio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Southkaio wrote:
Please tell me that's not true! If that's true, then the movie will eventually ended up being canceled and shelved for good. But I hope the movie premieres outside of Japan.

Are you forgetting the film's finished already?

Then I still hope the movie premieres somewhere outside of Japan. If I am wrong, then the movie will become "a piece of lost media" overtime. How about that?
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:25 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
Why do people think that releasing it digitally would be an option? You know the leadership in the anime industry is not very well known to adapt to changes.

Not surprised with the delay. But not sure why there is so much hate for the Re Build franchise. Of course it's not the original series, so?

it would also be the lamest way to end off a series. after so much build up, only to make it a digital release??!!

if this truly is the last of anything evangelion, it deserves to be in a theater. no matter how long it takes.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:02 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
xxmsxx wrote:
Why do people think that releasing it digitally would be an option? You know the leadership in the anime industry is not very well known to adapt to changes.

Not surprised with the delay. But not sure why there is so much hate for the Re Build franchise. Of course it's not the original series, so?

it would also be the lamest way to end off a series. after so much build up, only to make it a digital release??!!

if this truly is the last of anything evangelion, it deserves to be in a theater. no matter how long it takes.

While I agree that a home release could never replicate a theatrical one, it's easy to understand why people are pretty tired of waiting. It's been well over a decade and fans only have so much patience. I think it should be released digitally and then rereleased theatrically.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Southkaio wrote:
Please tell me that's not true! If that's true, then the movie will eventually ended up being canceled and shelved for good. But I hope the movie premieres outside of Japan.

Are you forgetting the film's finished already?

Then I still hope the movie premieres somewhere outside of Japan. If I am wrong, then the movie will become "a piece of lost media" overtime. How about that?

Don't act like you know everything. This is a matter of safety and given the current circumstances, expect a new release date around late spring-midsummer.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:09 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It's basically the Eva version of the Star Wars sequels. But with any revival/reboot/sequel of a nostalgia property you're going to have fans who feel let down that it doesn't match up entirely with their nostalgic memories.

I’m just gonna chime in and say there’s a marked difference in that Rebuild is shaping up to be something ambitious and has merits from the start, whereas the Star Wars ST is an abomination from the get go.

More like; films with great potential only to shimmer down because of half-cooked ideas but still have the potential to be great in other media.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:27 am Reply with quote
lucio542 wrote:
If It was for safety then why the heck demon Slayer was permited and broke all records?
Hypocrisy.

It's almost as if that film wasn't released during a government declared state of emergency.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:41 am Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much about this being the last of Evangelion. This franchise makes way too much money for Khara to just end things here. We will eventually get more stories and spin-offs and whatnots. That's just how it goes with big franchises like this one.

However, this is the end of the Rebuilds, which is a pretty big deal, so I agree with you that it shouldn't be released digitally.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:48 am Reply with quote
There’s been a big spike in COVID cases in Japan, and theatrical release is probably tied up in contracts with Toei and Toho.

Digital release would see a thousand torrents up in twelve hours, so even if Anno were to have sole authority over release, I rather doubt he’d be willing to let Khara suffer a financial h-bomb.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:32 am Reply with quote
mpg13 wrote:
Being cynical, I think the delayed release might have something to do with the low numbers they would get now.

That's more of "a logical statement about business" than cynicism imo. I would be sweet if they pushed it back enough to where you can have a sub and or dub ready for a global theatrical run or theater/streaming release.
hikura

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
There’s been a big spike in COVID cases in Japan, and theatrical release is probably tied up in contracts with Toei and Toho.

Digital release would see a thousand torrents up in twelve hours, so even if Anno were to have sole authority over release, I rather doubt he’d be willing to let Khara suffer a financial h-bomb.

Even without a digital release it still would be up on torrent sites within 12 hours of its release in the movie theaters. No matter how hard you work on that not happening it will happen.
Listen I understand the frustration of the movie being delayed. But people have lived this long without it you will live another few without it. It's not worth possibly getting sick and dying just because you wanted to see a movie.
Big Green Mean Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:47 pm Reply with quote
This is just too cruel.

God just does not want this movie to come out.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Lets be real. We all knew something was going to prevent it from releasing because life is that cruel... angel's thesis.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:57 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

I’m just gonna chime in and say there’s a marked difference in that Rebuild is shaping up to be something ambitious and has merits from the start, whereas the Star Wars ST is an abomination from the get go.

It was?

Then why did most people praise The Force Awakens for doing things like relying less on CG and making certain aspects of the lore less....complicated.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:01 am Reply with quote
Almost a decade of waiting for this movie to come out. It should just be dropped onto the Animelab for a $10 fee. Im quite sick of the delays. The studio has used literally every excuse under the sun from "im sick i cant go to school today" to "the dog ate my drawings". COVID is a lame excuse when streaming services exist and people would be willing to pay for it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:45 am Reply with quote
#920338 wrote:
Almost a decade of waiting for this movie to come out. It should just be dropped onto the Animelab for a $10 fee. Im quite sick of the delays. The studio has used literally every excuse under the sun from "im sick i cant go to school today" to "the dog ate my drawings". COVID is a lame excuse when streaming services exist and people would be willing to pay for it.

Less so when you consider that not every movie studio has been willing to put high profile releases on streaming services especially for such a low price that and some directors aren’t entirely aboard with this concept.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4