• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:36 am Reply with quote
The politic-ing is nice and all but honestly this works best when it focuses on the world building and comedy rather than the drama and fights. Even the LN is a slog to read through sometimes. I would skim through several pages in a row full of nothing but narration and exposition and miss little to nothing.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:04 pm Reply with quote
things escalated pretty dang fast at the end of episode 4. Looks like there are people like Rimuru who have op RPG gaming stats but are working, I'll bet reluctantly with Falmuth. I just hope this is more extensive than the megaladon tornado invasion which ended up just being an afterthought.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Edited*

Last edited by GhostD on Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5 was easily the best episode of the season so far and one of the franchise's better episodes to date. I had not been paying much attention to the developing Youm/Myulin romance but this episode sold it better than I would have thought possible and I liked how the Falmuth trio wasn't so easily able to bait the inhabitants of Tempest. This is the first time in quite a while that I am actually looking forward to the next episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Great episode this week, can't wait for next week Smile

Quote:
On a related note, did Shion get weakened at the end of the episode because of Shogo's skill or because of the barrier?

I got the impression it was the barrier, but I guess Shogo's reaction could imply it was him

Quote:
Why was Shuna able to block Kirara's unique mind control skill?

I'm guessing it's because she's (presumably) a priestess/miko which is usually along the lines of a healer/support type of role. So she could probably block or cancel it.

Quote:
Was there any hint in the previous episode for Grucius' crush on Myulan? I mean, I'm not surprised he feels that way, it's just that it felt like it came a bit out of the left field.

I think he had his eye on her since she showed up and saw some signs last week iirc. I thought Youm having such strong feelings was a bit more surprising then Gucius being interested. I wonder if the LNs gives more weight to their relationship. Not that I thought it was unjustified, I just would have liked to have seen more between them before this.

Key wrote:
I liked how the Falmuth trio wasn't so easily able to bait the inhabitants of Tempest.

Agreed. I wasn't expecting it to go that way and was happy with how it turned out. Well,... at least until that girl tried to kill everyone around her ^^;

Speaking of that otherworldly trio, I thought that by the end of this they were coming off a bit too much like mustache twirling villains.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Seeing Rimuru finally struggle against someone even though he was holding back made me smile.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:21 pm Reply with quote
This was interesting. I was ready to shrug off this arc again, but for the first time there's actual tension (and more than that. You don't just use a children's bloodied shoe carelessly) even though it necesitated conveniently overpowered mysterious barriers. I'll need some strong justification for them though, since Rimuru is so overpowered it shouldn't be THAT easy to create something that cripples him this badly.
In the end, the only thing that managed to be an actual threat to Rimuru and his nation is unadultered callousness.

Now comes the mystery of who sold intel on him though. The only people he told he was Japanese to were Shizu and the isekai'd captain, but he was so liberal with those manga magazines of his that it could be anyone. And how come only Japanese people get isekai'd?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Even though it's terrible to see the monster city in duress, this is the kind of tension that has been lacking from the series for a long time. For only the second time this season (the first time being last episode), I'm actually interested in what happens next.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Even though it's terrible to see the monster city in duress, this is the kind of tension that has been lacking from the series for a long time. For only the second time this season (the first time being last episode), I'm actually interested in what happens next.

Can't echo this enough.Slime's always been a show I only tune into when bored (admittedly much more common with the isolation of a pandemic!), or half pay attention to while doing something else. It has tolerable production values, nothing too over-the-top gross, competent enough world-building, but absolutely zero tension or suspense -- and, relatedly, I think, very little characterization or character development worth engaging with.

This episode showing both Tempest and Rimuru in dire straits is definitely the first time the series has actively, forcibly grabbed my attention in a long time. Maybe since the first episode of season 1, honestly.
Toloran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Honestly, there are so many ways Rimuru could prove he's Japanese. I mean, throwing a manga at her would be a good start. Or... you know... talking to her in Japanese

In the LN, he tried that. It didn't help since he could have learned it easily enough. Also, it's hard to show that in the anime since they are already (as far as the listener is concerned) already speaking japanese.

Quote:
If you're inside an antimagic field—or any type of ambush, for that matter—shouldn't trying to get outside of it be the first thing you do? I mean Rimuru doesn't even try.

I don't think the LN explicitly said this one, but it was most likely just that Hinata never gave him time to escaped.

Quote:
These barriers must take a ton of energy to maintain or every town and village would have one. I wonder how long they can be kept active.

Actually, most big towns do have a (much weaker) version of the anti-monster barrier.
Toloran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
And how come only Japanese people get isekai'd?

3 of the 5 kids Rimuru helped out aren't Japanese. spoiler[A couple important otherworlders we meet later are non-japanese as well.]
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Toloran wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:
And how come only Japanese people get isekai'd?

3 of the 5 kids Rimuru helped out aren't Japanese. spoiler[A couple important otherworlders we meet later are non-japanese as well.]

I thought they all were, considering they were proficient enough in Japanese to read whatever magazines Rimuru threw at them. But I guess some names just weren't.
Outside of those five kids, seven out of seven isekai'd people we know are Japanese... or were they? Honestly I forgot the names of the three not-so-nice-people.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

I thought they all were, considering they were proficient enough in Japanese to read whatever magazines Rimuru threw at them. But I guess some names just weren't.
Outside of those five kids, seven out of seven isekai'd people we know are Japanese... or were they? Honestly I forgot the names of the three not-so-nice-people.

Most of the kids couldn't read the manga initially. They needed help from the ones who could (though this isn't made abundantly clear in the anime). But it's also fairly obvious if we look at their names: Chloe Aubert, Gale Gibson, and Alice Rondo aren't Japanese; Kenya Misaki and Ryota Sekiguchi are Japanese though.

I generally assume that Japanese people aren't really intended to be transferred to this world more often than anyone else, they're just a plurality of named otherworlders for author/audience convenience purposes (which I don't consider a big deal).
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Guess I was right about that field's effect on Shion.

I was suprised to see the town in that condition near the end. Didn't think they were going to take it that far.

Quote:
Given that the field only affects monsters, Youm is probably the strongest person in Tempest right now.

Yeah, I was expecting him to show up, but I guess they're saving that for next episode.
Mavado

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I really like how they made the humans threatening, not by having them be simply stronger than previous opponents, but by having them apply different tactics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 45