• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Banished from the Hero's Party

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Rit is pretty much the reason I'm enjoying this. I can see her going bad-ass at the drop of a hat, and boy, I want to see her go off on some baddies.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I must concur that this show is a pleasant surprise. Much much MUCH better than that other shop-healing-item one that also came out recently.

I don't think it's unrealistic or OP to have a guy who was the backbone of the party's organization. This is far more common that you'd think. It's why companies highly value good producers and organizers who know what they're doing. So little surprise that the party is falling apart without that guy being there. It's not insurmountable, but it's a very real scenario that many organizations and groups do face. So it makes a lot of sense. It will also provide an interesting conflict about whether he will stick to his slow life or give in to aid his sister on the front lines.

I like the little romance going on. The comedy works well enough, and the show manages to have its tense and action moments too that feel organic. So I'm in.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As you have probably figured out by now, the thing I am least interested about in Banished From The Heroes' Party is the slow life aspect of the story.

Wait, then why did you choose to review this series? It has a lot of SOL stuff. I'm just confused is all.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Its a worthy question given the show has had less action then level to 100 killing slimes and her slow life all girls club.
RenimLS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:20 am Reply with quote
The series does bounce between slice of life and action, with the story trying to stay slice of life until it simply can't escape the bigger events happening.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Quote:
As you have probably figured out by now, the thing I am least interested about in Banished From The Heroes' Party is the slow life aspect of the story.

Wait, then why did you choose to review this series? It has a lot of SOL stuff. I'm just confused is all.

I am also confused. This show literally has “Slow Life” in the title. Personally, I think the romance is the best aspect of the show. It actually reminds me a lot of The Saint’s Magic Power is Omnipotent, with better pacing, humor, and balance between its SOL and action elements. Both feature a very competent main character not living up to their potential (according to others perceptions of what living up to their potential means, anyway) and both have a hot, blond love interest that’s totally into them and are having trouble Taking The Hint. I really hope this show’s romance gets more traction, but with how forward Rit is, that seems likely. The action plot building up in the background is good and compelling, don’t get me wrong, but I find myself yelling “marry her already!” at the screen multiple times an episode, and that’s fun, too!
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:49 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen the anime, but the LNs aren't exactly "slow life" fare. There's a great deal of action, character development and worldbuilding going on--the slice of life bits are pretty marginal.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:26 am Reply with quote
Okay, so it doesnt stick to the slow life retirement to the countryside part of its title.
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:33 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Quote:

While just watching people doing pointless, everyday things bores me, this series is so much more than that. It has a fascinating magic system (blessings and how they alter people) and characters that are dynamically evolving each episode. The romance is likewise engading and we already have a looming clash between his old life and new one (with the monk character on the hunt to find him and bring him back to the hero). Even the slow life bits have additional meaning because they are shown in contrast to Red's former life and show why he might prefer his life in exile to his life in the spotlight--making the impeding confrontation all the more dramatic.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:46 am Reply with quote
Ares continues to be a huge anchor weighing this show down. When the show decides to punish him for daring to oppose the main character by either humiliating him or prove him wrong at every turn, it suggests either a lack of writing confidence or just plain old Mary Sue writing. Either way, I'm thinking about the writer and not the story, and it drags down even unrelated parts of the show when I have to account for the presence of this kind of writing in how the rest of the show is framed and may play out.
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:21 pm Reply with quote
It certainly does take every opportunity to show him as disliked or incompetent doesnt it. Well I am now concluding that despite having the senin age bracket that the writing is aimed at shonen audiences. Everything has been easy to understand and it also suffers from shonen shows inability to progress relationships, instead doing all characterisation in flashbacks.

If anything it feels like maybe the show should of been about gideons time in the hero party. As that appears to be where most of the interest of the show lies. I can conclude from the first 4 episodes at least, and the feedback from people who know the show, that the shows title is simply a lie. It has no interest in developing the retirement angle. No showing of the satisfaction gained from professional life. We did develope the community in the first 2 episodes but it feels like that has been left on the wayside. Nor any other satisfying displays of his life here such as beautiful vistas, exploring nature or good engaging company.

I can only conclude that the hero party matters far more and the show is an engine to return back to main events. That Rit's development has only been on her attachment to gideon and her past with him and the lack of focus developing her life with him in the present tells me so. We spend more time gazing lovingly down her cleavage then working out how they live together past smiling at each other. As if it doesnt want to develop something to be discarded.

Last edited by Cryten on Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penrhos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:46 pm Reply with quote
The main pair act like lovestruck teenagers. irl they'd be at it like rabbits.

I suspect the demon army will make an appearance just as rit is going to propose to red (he'll never do it as she's a princess and his character is too weak).

The hero's party will turn up and will get their arse kicked. Turn up for some healing potions and rip red will rejoin kick the demon Lord hard and then have a picnic.

Red will turn out to be a Siscon.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I love how the guilds are concerned about Rit retiring and shacking up with Red and she's just blowing them off because of her "lifetime contract" AKA marriage.

Rit was really hoping for a ring instead of a bracelet, although that's nice too, but Red asking about her favorite gemstone makes it sound like a ring is definitely coming in the near future.

Yarandrala is not what I expected at all. I expected a possible love rival for Rit, and she has the looks and outgoing personality to be a strong contender, but in fact she becomes the biggest supporter for her relationship with Gideon and thinks she would make the perfect partner for him. She's one of the reasons Rit grew out of her tsundere phase and is more open, sweet, and honest now. Maybe Yarandrala did have feelings for Gideon but it seems like she fell in love with a human before and outlived them, and doesn't want to go through that again, but she wants Gideon to be happy. She really is a surprisingly interesting and fun character. Also, Sora Amamiya!

Nothing quite like a Girl Talk where both girls are naked and swimming around in the buff.

So it seems like Ares has always been the most incompetent member of the party. And maybe got rid of Gideon so he would have an excuse to get closer to Ruti and "comfort" her. Creep.

Ruti's Hero Blessing seems to have really messed her up emotionally. She doesn't sleep, she's overpowered but cold and emotionless even if she just hides her emotions well. When she realizes Ares lied about what happened to her brother she punches a hole in him and almost abandons him before she feels compelled to heal him. No wonder the rest of the party is intimidated by her.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Penrhos wrote:
The main pair act like lovestruck teenagers.

That is the one thing that annoys me about this series. I like their dynamic, but then they just get flustered like teens. Come on, they're living together now. I don't think they need to be overly fan service'y about it (not that the series seems to have problems with that), but it feels very jarring. I'm surprised they haven't done a freaking out over an indirect kiss scene... Maybe I'm misunderstanding the main duo's ages. Are they 15? I got the feeling that they were adults, but now I'm realizing that I don't think that was ever stated.

MFrontier wrote:
So it seems like Ares has always been the most incompetent member of the party. And maybe got rid of Gideon so he would have an excuse to get closer to Ruti and "comfort" her. Creep.

I found that amusing and interesting. It made me wonder if the real reason he wanted Red gone was that Ruti is a brocon (or that Ares sees it that way).

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Something just occurred to me. The thieves "weakness" for Rit is her past life in the kingdom. But wouldnt everyone in the upper parts of the adventure guild already know that? Given she is an upper royal princess and has made no effort to hide it by changing name or appearance. She says openly that she adventures in exile from her home.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12