• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Komi Can't Communicate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:

The only character I find issue with so far is spoiler[Ren Yamai] since her behavior crossed the line from weird to criminal - in the real world (as opposed to Manga/Anime World) she would almost certainly be held in jail without bail until trial due to her posing a danger to others, and might well end up in a facility for the criminally insane.

Yhea, I hate that kind of character. I know that is a cliche in manga where there are always that spoiler[yandere fan-girl obsessed with the the beautiful school idol] but that is something that I found unnecessary in a comedy SOL manga like Komi-san.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:19 pm Reply with quote
So yea, just started and up to episode 3. So far its very cute, and at times funny. The whole chalkboard spot was very sweet. My only complaint is that its leaning on some anime tropes in some places that may not be the best and it runs the risk of turning a serious issue into a gag.

The third episode is a real mixed bag to me. Himiko (green hair) has serious anxiety issues and after the misunderstanding is cleared up she tells Komi that she's gotten a little better thanks to her. Its very sweet and they could have left it there, but then the whole character turns into a masochist and wants to be Komi's "dog". Har, har, so funny Rolling Eyes Totally unnecessary going for some over the top humor and it devalues this character's issues while neutralizing the previous sweet moment. It kind almost ruined the episode for me. Maybe if they had played her up as being one or the other (anxiety ridden or masochist) it would have worked better for me.

I get this is a comedy, but there's also a serious subject matter in play which means there's a fine line to toe without getting disrespectful of some of the issues. If all the characters she meets are "quirky", that's an easier place to be for the show, but if they also have social and personal issues then that requires more of a deft touch without making them into weirdos for having issues.

Don't get me wrong I'm still enjoying the show so far, but I have some concerns with how it handles some things.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Ep 4. Uh... I have to say, I didn't enjoy most of the kidnap stuff. And actually, I think I skimmed over it when I read this in the manga, 'cause it was a bit much. It did give the stairway scene with Tadano and Komi more impact. That scene I liked. But spoiler[ Rem Yamai ] is nuts, and that apology of hers didn't come off as funny to me. I do think it was supposed to be, but, just, no. This is a well made show and all, but they drew the image of a yandere way too well, I think.

I will say that this is a very hard thing to pull off. So 1 credit for trying.

PS. Netflix's advertising during the credits ruins the end of show bits. Others were saying that before, and I just want to second it.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I think whatever your opinion of Yamai, the execution and direction of her segment and Rina Hidaka's performance was phenomenal.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Yamai it's the closer the series has to a villain (not counting Najimi, since he is a chaotic neutral character).

From a mechanical point of view I always considered her needed since every character is just too likeable and nice.

You need a character to hate.

From a personal point of view, I hate her, but that's the idea so...
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

I can think of dozens of anime, especially comedy/SoL like this, that didn't have villains/antagonists and were great.

Last edited by Electric Wooloo on Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I stopped reading the manga because of what happened in Episode 4. Really turned me off on the series :/
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:40 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Yeah, I stopped reading the manga because of what happened in Episode 4. Really turned me off on the series :/

The kidnapping and threatened murder of Tadano is not nearly as disturbing as everyone else having the reaction that it was OK since Yamai issued a half-hearted apology for her criminally insane behavior.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

I can think of dozens of anime, especially comedy/SoL like this, that didn't have villains/antagonists and were great.

Can't think in one, I have read a lot of those and the "Villain" is always forced and feels to be there just to prolongue the serialization time by adding fabricated drama.

Normally in the form of a new love interest or a problematic family member.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:41 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Electric Wooloo wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Can't think in one, I have read a lot of those and the "Villain" is always forced and feels to be there just to prolongue the serialization time by adding fabricated drama.

?? Lucky star and K-on, both some of the biggest SoL and a big reason the genre became this popular, no villain. And that still hold, Yuru camp is probably one of the biggest SoL of the last few years, no villain there either. I honestly have a hard time even thinking of SoL with anything close to villain.
ICO44

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:00 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
omnistry wrote:

The kidnapping and threatened murder of Tadano is not nearly as disturbing as everyone else having the reaction that it was OK since Yamai issued a half-hearted apology for her criminally insane behavior.

I agree, its over the top comedy. You are not exactly suppose take it seriously. I personally didn't mind it.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:26 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Electric Wooloo wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Nichijou has none of that.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:54 am Reply with quote
Kidnap someone and seriously threaten to kill them repeatedly. Jail anyone? Guess he has shadow puppets for parents also.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:56 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Nichijou has none of that.

Sakamoto San and Hakase are not problematic family members? Wink

There seems to be a lot of peaceful days in the Shinonome household.

TarsTarkas wrote:
Kidnap someone and seriously threaten to kill them repeatedly. Jail anyone? Guess he has shadow puppets for parents also.

Very close to a "jumping the shark" moment.
Kirki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:48 am Reply with quote
It's supposed to be over the top comedy and not taken seriously, but it didn't succeed because from what we've seen so far, Komi's world is a pretty realistic world. Sure there are elements of exaggeration for laughs, but nothing that pushes the boundaries of credibility too far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7