• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jujutsu Kaisen 0 Anime Film's Trailer Reveals, Previews King Gnu's Theme Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkJak2050

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:31 am Reply with quote
RandomCommenter wrote:
DarkJak2050 wrote:
In terms of the Box Office; how will Jujutsu Kaisen 0 do against SAO: Aria of a Starless Night?

If you ask me, with both being released in Fall 2021, SAO: Aria of a Starless Night is going to be Jujutsu Kaisen 0's biggest competition.

And I'm being straight up, Jujutsu Kaisen has potential & I want the franchise to do well.

SAO is going to struggle just to clear 2B, a mark that JJK should clear with extreme ease. I'd say a finish below 5B would be pretty disappointing for a very strong franchise like this.

Well, since Jujutsu Kaisen has an official English Dub, it raises the next big question:

Is Jujutsu Kaisen 0 going to get a theatrical run outside of Japan? If so, how long will the wait be?

Jujutsu Kaisen 0 needs to have a theatrical run outside of Japan for it to have a shot of outperforming SAO in the Box Office. Particularly in North America (since it's one of the major Theatrical Markets). And it doesn't help that SAO has strong support in North America.

SAO's theatrical run outside of Japan is slated a little more than a month after Japan's theatrical release; Dec. 3rd to be exact. Before Jujutsu Kaisen 0 gets released in Japan.

China (which is another major Theatrical Market) is a question mark because of it's censorships; from what I can gather from prior parts in this forum is that Demon Slayer; Mugen Train wasn't released in China because it couldn't get passed China's censorships. Given what's in the Jujusu Kaisen franchise, the same thing could happen to 0.

To make it worse; SAO has a better shot of getting passed China's censorships. Unless it gets snagged for something else (which is unlikely).

And if Jujutsu Kaisen 0 does get released outside of Japan, it better not be through direct streaming services (like what happened with Evangelion 3.0+1.0). That'll be a huge blow in the Box Office against SAO.
RandomCommenter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:05 am Reply with quote
DarkJak2050 wrote:

Well, since Jujutsu Kaisen has an official English Dub, it raises the next big question:

Is Jujutsu Kaisen 0 going to get a theatrical run outside of Japan? If so, how long will the wait be?

Jujutsu Kaisen 0 needs to have a theatrical run outside of Japan for it to have a shot of outperforming SAO in the Box Office. Particularly in North America (since it's one of the major Theatrical Markets).

SAO's theatrical run outside of Japan is slated a little more than a month after Japan's theatrical release; Dec. 3rd to be exact. Before Jujutsu Kaisen 0 gets released in Japan.

China (which is another major Theatrical Market) is a question mark because of it's censorships; from what I can gather from prior parts in this forum is that Demon Slayer; Mugen Train wasn't released in China because it couldn't get passed China's censorships. Given what's in the Jujusu Kaisen franchise, the same thing could happen to 0.

To make it worse; SAO has a better shot of getting passed China's censorships. Unless it gets snagged for something else (which is unlikely).

SAO isn't that strong of a theatrical experience outside of Japan. Even in Japan, while clearing 2 billion is generally considerable quite good for a franchise movie, it remains a fairly small film in the grand scheme of things. In most years, a gross similar to that of Ordinal Scale would be either barely inside the top20 biggest movies of the year (in japan), or even outside of it.

All these factors existed for ordinal scale as well, but they weren't all that impactful. At the end of the day, Ordinal Scale only collected around 1.8B yen outside japan as far as I can tell, with the US performance only clocking in at a little over 150M yen - China was really the only big contributor to its worldwide BO. Even assuming this movie has equal performance outside JP (which isn't the case in japan - it's doing worse, but I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt), that'll still mean it'll clock in a finish somewhere in the 3.5B-4B range worldwide. But again, that's a mark that JJK will aim to (and should) clear with ease in Japan alone, and failing to do so would result in a pretty big disappointment for it.

As for tackling the question - it probably will get a theatrical run outside japan. Hard to tell if china will be one of these markets though, since what is or isn't allowed there can be a bit unpredictable at times.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:42 am Reply with quote
Megumi Ogata and Kana Hanazawa is an interesting pairing.
DarkJak2050

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:02 pm Reply with quote
RandomCommenter wrote:
SAO isn't that strong of a theatrical experience outside of Japan. Even in Japan, while clearing 2 billion is generally considerable quite good for a franchise movie, it remains a fairly small film in the grand scheme of things. In most years, a gross similar to that of Ordinal Scale would be either barely inside the top20 biggest movies of the year (in japan), or even outside of it.

All these factors existed for ordinal scale as well, but they weren't all that impactful. At the end of the day, Ordinal Scale only collected around 1.8B yen outside japan as far as I can tell, with the US performance only clocking in at a little over 150M yen - China was really the only big contributor to its worldwide BO. Even assuming this movie has equal performance outside JP (which isn't the case in japan - it's doing worse, but I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt), that'll still mean it'll clock in a finish somewhere in the 3.5B-4B range worldwide. But again, that's a mark that JJK will aim to (and should) clear with ease in Japan alone, and failing to do so would result in a pretty big disappointment for it.

As for tackling the question - it probably will get a theatrical run outside japan. Hard to tell if china will be one of these markets though, since what is or isn't allowed there can be a bit unpredictable at times.

If SAO gets released in China & Jujutsu Kaisen 0 doesn't, it's going to be a problem.

The worst that can happen are either no theatrical run outside of Japan, or it gets released on Direct Streaming Services outside of Japan (like Evangelion 3.0+1.0). Because either way, it'll be a huge blow to the Box Office.

Let's hope it's neither of those.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2