• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Dog & Scissors Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:19 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I've got zero interest in this awful show, but with Funimation licensing old Sentai stuff, is it possible they might redub any? No offense, but I've never really run into a Sentai dub that wowed me since they were ADV (seriously, what happened?). I'd love a new dub for Angel Beats, Made in Abyss, Shirobako, and Clannad.

Angel Beats! and Clannad will benefit from a Funimation redub. Made in Abyss has a fine dub. If you think Shirobako's needs a new dub you don't like any Sentai dubs. Sentai sucked at making dubs, but from 2015 onwards they have improved dramatically.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:46 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I've got zero interest in this awful show, but with Funimation licensing old Sentai stuff, is it possible they might redub any? No offense, but I've never really run into a Sentai dub that wowed me since they were ADV (seriously, what happened?). I'd love a new dub for Angel Beats, Made in Abyss, Shirobako, and Clannad.

I don't see them redubbing any of this shows.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:40 pm Reply with quote
The thing to keep in mind here is not that it's a Sentai show but that it's a Gonzo show.
Sentai's license obviously expired. Funi have been getting a few Gonzo shows lately so there must be some package or something.
So this isn't a case of them grabbing stuff from Sentai, it's them grabbing stuff from a particular licensor (Gonzo). The only Sentai titles worth speculating whether Funi would get atm is other Gonzo stuff.

Also I don't think they'd redub anything. I assume this is largely just for streaming, rather than releasing.

In regards to this anime, I only watched one episode (I think). The abuse content was not funny.
The best thing from the show was when that one girl showed some badge to MC Ace Attorney style. I still think of that scene every so often.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why people think Funimation licensing a show that had an old dub means they'll redub it or if it was previously sub only that they'll make a new dub but people have this expectation whenever Funimation picks up a title that used to belong to someone else. Does Funimation even really redub shows much? Not counting DBZ the only show I can think of in recent memory Funimation has redubbed was Escaflowne and that was because of the new footage in the director's cut episodes.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:00 am Reply with quote
From Crunchyroll to Funimation....... from the left hand to the right hand?
matt78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:18 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I don't know why people think Funimation licensing a show that had an old dub means they'll redub it or if it was previously sub only that they'll make a new dub but people have this expectation whenever Funimation picks up a title that used to belong to someone else. Does Funimation even really redub shows much? Not counting DBZ the only show I can think of in recent memory Funimation has redubbed was Escaflowne and that was because of the new footage in the director's cut episodes.

I agree that they won't redub a show. I doubt they would bother dubbing any previous sub only releases either. The only exceptions I see to the last part is if they convince AOA to allow them to dub some of their catalogue titles. There are at least a few there that would have gotten dubbed if they were handled by a different company.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Initial D is the only other Funimation redub I can recall, and it's a case kind of like Escaflowne -- the TokyoPop "tricked out" dub didn't match with the original, uncut version.

So yeah, those expecting Funimation to redub license-rescued titles are most likely in for a disappointment. "The old dub was bad!" is not enough to spur Funi to make a new one, as seen with their re-releases of shows like Love Hina and Crest of the Stars.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2