• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Penguindrum Can Teach Us About Extremism

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:00 pm Reply with quote
livin_large wrote:
There's something about reading a closing line about asking for people to bridge the divide after multiple paragraphs of trying to link a 1995 gas attack in a Tokyo subway system to modern day right-wing Americans that makes it a bit hard to take it as genuine.

I read the links, not to "modern day right-wing Americans" (in the sense of conservatives), but, when talking about Americans, to people who shoot up synagogues and shopping malls, trash the Capitol and threaten to hang the Vice President. If you choose to conflate those people with the right in general, that's your confusion.

In fact, I wasn't reading it in a purely American context at all since right-wing authoritarianism is growing in much of the (in some cases, formerly) democratic world.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
See ATastySub's comment to understand why the point you're trying to make is so hard to make. The idea that conservatives might be motivated by something other than white supremacy literally doesn't compute for other writers on this site, and why Lynzee's attempt to distinguish the references to the idea of white supremacy from just general disagreement rings hollow.

Which is also a very dangerous mindset to have. If you want a real world example of the harm this causes, look no further than how the media has distorted anti-Asian hate in America to be about white supremacy, despite the fact most anti-Asian hate crimes are perpetrated by black people. Those who speak out, like Daniel Dae Kim and Daniel Wu, are criticized and told to keep their mouth shut and stay in their lane, or labeled as racist, ensuring that the issue will never be resolved.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:18 pm Reply with quote
There's a very good documentary that discusses issues between the Black and Asian communities in America that I recommend here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14WUuya94QE
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:20 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
The voter id one is an interesting example. Looked at from a policy level, i.e. from the point of view of presumably knowledgeable policymakers, it has a disproportionate impact that disenfranchises minorities, and battles an empirically nonexistent problem (voter fraud).

Still, I tend not to see this as a white supremacist policy -- at least, I don't think that's the primary goal of it. For politicians pushing it, I think it is more narrowly self-serving than that: many of them want to win re-election and don't really care if they disenfranchise many people in doing so, minority or not. For regular civilians supporting it, I think the most common motivation is probably simpler; they think it sounds like a "common sense" policy, and don't care to hear egg-headed explanations for why it is unnecessary and dangerous.

I also don't think it is reasonable to ask people to ignore that this kind of policy has a clear, disproportionate, and undeniably negative impact on minority communities, though. It is a commonly held view by many people who probably don't support it out of racist intent, but it's still important to understand its racialized impact.
Voter ID is even more interesting than that, because there isn't much evidence that voter ID laws actually do disproportionately disenfranchise people or reduce fraud (or, to put it more cynically, swing elections towards one party or the other). People point to it as the reason/excuse they lost an election, but the whole fight is based on some pretty flimsy assumptions and just turned into another partisan bludgeon. Which makes it relevant here, in that you basically have belief in a questionable hypothesis turned into a tool to determine membership in political cults, to the point that our last two presidents have declared that those who don't agree with them on the topic are traitors to the country. At this point, it's basically irrelevant whether Voter ID "works" (for whatever value of "works" you use), because there's no value system where it matters. Are you one of "us" or one of "them"?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
...there isn't much evidence that voter ID laws actually do disproportionately disenfranchise people or reduce fraud (or, to put it more cynically, swing elections towards one party or the other)...

This will probably quickly get mod'd for focusing on a tangent rather than the main article, but I don't think this is true. For example:

Fraga and Miller found that black voters constituted 11.4 percent of those voting in Texas in 2016 with ID but 16.1 percent of those voting without ID, which shows clear evidence of a disparate racial impact. Likewise, Latino voters made up 19.8 percent of those voting with an ID but 20.7 percent of those voting without an ID. So even if voter ID laws haven’t swung election outcomes, they can deny thousands of people their right to vote — denials that fall disproportionately on black and Latino citizens. Whether voter ID laws swing elections is far from their only important consequence...

...Those disparate impacts are clear from a second newly released study, too, which also used individual-level records to provide a more granular view of precisely who is affected by voter ID policies. In Michigan’s 2016 general election, voters who arrived at the polls without ID were able to vote after they signed an affidavit. Researchers Phoebe Henninger, Marc Meredith and Michael Morse2 collected these affidavits to identify a set of voters who would have been turned away under a stricter policy, like the laws in Georgia, Virginia and Wisconsin. By their calculation, about 28,000 voters — or 0.6 percent of 2016 Michigan voters — lacked photo identification.

Those 28,000 voters were more nonwhite and more Democratic than the Michigan electorate overall.

I don't think the effect sizes are typically large enough to flip an election by themselves, though, no -- although, small effects have become increasingly important in the past 25 years (with, for example, elections much more closely contested than they have been historically, to the point that most of the POTUS's that lost the popular vote have occurred in that period of time), and if multiple small effects point in the same direction they can become an effect of larger size, so it may be increasingly difficult to bet that that will continue to be the case.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Lynzee―
Just wanted to thank you for the link. I find it utterly fascinating that there is neither a single upvote nor a single downvote for that documentary.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:31 pm Reply with quote
With recent Youtube changes, I think downvotes are no longer publicly visible. Still, wild that it hasn't gotten a single upvote. That's downright unbelievable for a video viewed so many times -- maybe there's some setting the video uploader can alter to also make likes not publicly visible, or it's bugged in some way? Just seems implausible..
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Glad you enjoyed it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:55 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
maybe there's some setting the video uploader can alter to also make likes not publicly visible

Yes, back when the pandemic started, and academic conferences had presenters prerecord their talks and upload them to YouTube (because we hadn't all figured out the whole Zoom thing yet), one conference I presented at asked us all to turn on that option. I think they didn't see likes as "professional"... maybe the people who made this video had a similar mindset?
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:59 am Reply with quote
It's no real surprise why extremism is on the rise when modern politics seems to be more of a cult that always boils down to being told your side are the Good Guys and the other side are the Bad Guys and the source of everything wrong with the world. All it takes is for someone to get it in their head that it's up to them to be the "hero" who will defeat the "villain" by burning down buildings or hurting people.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Voter ID is even more interesting than that, because there isn't much evidence that voter ID laws actually do disproportionately disenfranchise people or reduce fraud (or, to put it more cynically, swing elections towards one party or the other). People point to it as the reason/excuse they lost an election, but the whole fight is based on some pretty flimsy assumptions and just turned into another partisan bludgeon.

I don't think that's cynicism, that's just being honest. Political parties want laws that will favor their side and will try to change laws that hurt them. That's just common sense. For what it's worth, virtually every other democratic country in the world has voter ID laws. It seems to be one of those things that's only controversial in America and America specifically has been dragging it's feet on implementing while the rest of the world has already done so: presumably because of partisan bickering.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3