• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Engage Kiss

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:38 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Strong Kisara this episode, what with accusing Ayano of devil deals and waiting for even the slightest reason to bisect Sharon. Great choreography on the garage chase too. I feel like going back to prior episodes to recontextualize everything that Miles's said; him stationing a fall guy across from Shu's apartment is a remarkably showy move.

Now that Miles has fully charged his tattoo, we might see the other Demon Hunter organizations from the OP play a role. Assuming Kisara's not on top of his car.

I've seen some speculation Miles brought up his daughter to Shu as a means of gauging how much he remembered.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I thought the onion gag was solid, but it takes the piss out of the sort of emotional pathos that the show then sort of leaned into towards the end of the episode.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I thought the onion gag was solid, but it takes the piss out of the sort of emotional pathos that the show then sort of leaned into towards the end of the episode.
I took it as a reinforcement of Kisara's choice from last episode: that she'll use Shu as he uses her, and damn the consequences. She's not sad about what she's doing to Shu because she gets to be with him in the end.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:25 pm Reply with quote
A couple of episodes ago, Sharon told Shu that they haven't met since they banged 3 years ago.

This episode, Sharon tells Shu that they banged 2 years ago.

Seems pretty intentional on the writer's part, if you ask me.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:07 pm Reply with quote
During the intro the sleeve made me think of Shu's coat, so I thought the twist might be that Shu had actually been getting people to become demons so that Kisara could kill them and that would lead to that portal opening so he could save his sister or something.
But then it was just the guy who took him in for a year that Shu doesn't remember, so big emotional reveal there...

Mikami being murdered just as he finds out the info, but before he passes it on is so cliche it's actually funny.

I thought the onion gag was good too.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:13 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Mikami being murdered just as he finds out the info, but before he passes it on is so cliche it's actually funny.

I thought the onion gag was good too.

That had to be intentional, right? I'm only surprised that he wasn't retiring in a week...
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:54 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:
I took it as a reinforcement of Kisara's choice from last episode: that she'll use Shu as he uses her, and damn the consequences. She's not sad about what she's doing to Shu because she gets to be with him in the end.

I think they've been playing around with how Kisara really feels about what she's doing to Shu.

Like, on some level, I think she is fine with it since she's honoring his desires, her own nature, and her own feelings since it's her best chance at "winning."

But on the other hand, she's been shown with at least some reservation when it comes to all the memories he's losing and the effect it has on him, particularly in her consideration towards Ayano.

It'll be interesting to see if things come to a head when it seems like Shu is about to give up all of his Ayano memories.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:42 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I think they've been playing around with how Kisara really feels about what she's doing to Shu.

There's room for doubt at least. I'm not sure she's ever shown it in front of Shu, but in some of her interactions with Ayano there are indications of a more complex relationship with what she's doing than "I don't care if I turn him into a vegetable so long as he's my vegetable" which is her public stance. And that's why the onion joke works of course.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm still holding out for the "Kisara turns Shu into a dry husk and then uses those memories to get into hot sexy times with Ayano" ending.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I'm still holding out for the "Kisara turns Shu into a dry husk and then uses those memories to get into hot sexy times with Ayano" ending.

Not the battle nun? Something of a frenemies-with-benefits deal?

Ayano deserves better. Though it must be said, none of the cast we've met could be considered "better" by any stretch. Everyone's a dirtbag of one stripe or another. It's what makes this trashfire so entertaining. It seems poor Mikami was the only honest person in town, and look where that got him.
09jcg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:57 am Reply with quote
I hate to say it but it seems like with each passing week the reviews are getting further off the mark. Each episode past episode 3 had been an improvement on the last bringing in interesting plot details and twists. While at the end of the day everyone has their own opinion it's hard to take the review seriously when it says an episode absolutly filled with surprises and twists contains none. Engage Kiss is in no need of a calibration, it's highly entertaining as it is and I don't want this changed up.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:03 am Reply with quote
Well, I was wrong about Kisara. She's definitely still worried about Shu's welfare. It's a shame that the episode wasn't smoother, but it evoked the necessary emotions and opened things up for the final act. Asmodeus's plans came to fruition and it's about time to see them bear out.

You've got to feel bad for Shu, though. Just how much left of value does he have to lose?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:18 am Reply with quote
This was probably one of the most serious episodes of the show, but they couldn't help but throw in one Ayano fanservice scene as she changes into her uniform. Also apparently she was wearing stockings under her pants, because we need to see some stockings every episode for true culture.

I'm not going to justify what Miles did, but I think any one can relate to being willing to do anything to save a loved one, even if that means making a deal with the devil and betraying your friends. And he tried to do right by Shu as much as he could, even down to making Shu kill him.

Sharon and Ayano teaming-up was fun. Especially when there's only so much keeping them from trying to kill each other.

Kisara is showing more and more regret for the memories she's stealing from Shu to the point where he had to force the kiss on her. And he's left feeling grief he can't understand because he lacks those memories.

Shu and Ayano are childhood friends! That was so adorable. Although Ayano being the childhood friend love interest explains so much about why she suffers. Even when the childhood friend won, she still lost. Also looks like the age difference between her and Shu is only 3-4 years? I wonder if there's anything to the fact that Ayano's dad was the only one missing from the family dynamics in the flashback.

So was Shu's mom always a demon or did Asmodeus basically possess her to sleep with his dad and conceive a demon/human hybrid?

Looks like our protagonists won't just be going up against Asmodeus but Bayron City itself since Mikhail knows where Shu's family is.
Thesarum wrote:
Ayano deserves better. Though it must be said, none of the cast we've met could be considered "better" by any stretch. Everyone's a dirtbag of one stripe or another. It's what makes this trashfire so entertaining. It seems poor Mikami was the only honest person in town, and look where that got him.

I don't know if I could say Ayano or her mother are really dirtbags. The worst I can say about Akino is that she was willing to fire Shu for dating her daughter, but I think we see now that she really does care about him and his family, given how much they've gone through together.

The worst thing Ayano's done is basically pulling one over on Kisara by having sex with Shu knowing Kisara would erase it and not risk other Ayano memories.
FilthyCasual wrote:
You've got to feel bad for Shu, though. Just how much left of value does he have to lose?

I assume his remaining memories of Ayano are probably next. It'll be interesting to see if Kisara or Ayano try to do something about it.

I could also see a similar scenario to Miles with Kanna if they end up having to fight her.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:49 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Well, I was wrong about Kisara. She's definitely still worried about Shu's welfare.

MFrontier wrote:
Kisara is showing more and more regret for the memories she's stealing from Shu to the point where he had to force the kiss on her.

Agreed. I haven't done a proper rewatch and countback, but from memory I think at least the last 2 or 3 episodes have all featured Shu initiating against some degree of resistance from Kisara. I don't really know when the last time she demanded it of him was. The time Ayano manipulated her into it probably doesn't count.

MFrontier wrote:
I don't know if I could say Ayano or her mother are really dirtbags

Fair, I wasn't really including Ayano in "everyone" there. Her mother isn't above manipulating Shu a bit, but it's probably unfair to lump her into the "dirtbag" category. She definitely does her best to look out for him.

If Asmodeus lived in Miles subconscious, does that put Kisara at any risk having taken his memories?

And in the flashbacks... what happened after Miles took Shu that left his sister with a spear in her chest? His father didn't exactly look up to that.

What was Asmodeus end game with creating a half-demon anyway? Presumably Shu isn't one, so that does imply she was either his step-mother (which wasn't been mentioned but is a possibility I think) or she was possessed later. But why, and how?

Shu's pistol is his fathers. Did we know that? It's design (and the magic circle it draws when fired) seem to reference Kisara's wing and blade, but it's older than that.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:
What was Asmodeus end game with creating a half-demon anyway?

Creating a gate between the human and demon worlds, apparently.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5