• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch From Mercury

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Still liking how different this is for Gundam. They are obviously (at least I think) setting us up for some real tragedy. I mean look at the series script writer.
zfunk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I hope we haven't seen the last of Lilique and Renee interaction, they could be frenemies by the end, if one of them doesn't die of course.

I think Renee be the Neito Monoma of this show. Though we don't have a Kendo, someone to balance things out. Though personality wise and hair style, she is more like Bakugo, she could his sister with that hair.

Last edited by zfunk on Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Amy192 wrote:
Quote:
The episode title "More Than a Childhood Friend, But Not True Love" sums it up perfectly.

The episode title wasn't that though, it was "If I could Take One Step Toward You." and they really aren't anything more than childhood friends. I am not sure why you think that they are a good ship, he repeatedly doesn't view Miorine as someone with any agency. If he had acted differently for many years the ship could work, but at that point it wouldn't even be Shaddiq. Meanwhile we have the actual ship of Suletta and Miorine which is far more healthy, this episode went out of it's way to highlight how they view each other as people and have a lot of trust in each other.

I mean, it's clear that Shaddiq has romantic feelings for her to some degree, and that Miorine wasn't uninterested either - but he missed his chance, and she has moved on. And sure, Miorine & Suletta are obviously a healthier relationship (so far, anyway) but that doesn't mean that the relationship between Shaddiq and Miorine can't be interesting, romantic or not. (Shaddiq is basically Touga from Utena at this point, with Miorine standing in for Utena.) Just like how Guel's relationship with Suletta is a fun one, regardless of Guel's failings of character and the clear lack of romantic interest on Suletta's part.
zfunk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:13 pm Reply with quote
So far we haven't a real death in the series proper. Fake Elan died, but no one knows about that or witnessed it, it is like if a tree falls and no one sees it, does it really fall riddle. It is not Gundam till someone dies and there is a comrade to yell out that person's name. Yeah I know Gundam didn't invent that trope, still it is one of their trademarks.

If Shaddiq and Guel die, would you like them to die in the same episode or should it be in separate episodes so they could have their own spotlight. I do see them as counterparts for each of our main heroines. (not taking what fake Elan was, but he is gone). So them dying at the same time protecting Suletta and Miorine.

Last edited by zfunk on Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm intrigued to learn more about Shaddiq and Miorine. It seems like they were genuinely close and cared for each other at one point, but Shaddiq's position and inability to make a move or be honest with himself basically killed what they had before.

Lilique is such a mood. I love her! And Earth House did a surprisingly great job for how improvised this 6-on-6 battle was.

Guel couldn't join them in this battle but I'm not sure how much options he has left now that his dad is trying to take him out of school. Maybe this will be what he needs to finally make a clean break from his father. I'm not sure how his brother will take it though, he seems to be hanging by a thread.

I want to see more of Shaddiq's pilot Harem. They've been a lot of fun so far. Renee's one-sided rivalry with Lilique over her 12th backup boyfriend was hilarious. Also yoga girl! And Asami Seto!

It figures Prospera wouldn't send the Aerial out there unless it had some counter for Grassley's anti GUND-Arm technology knowing what happened to her, and you can see how emotional it made her to see the Aerial overcome it.

Although despite Suletta and the Aerial managing to hold off Shaddiq's team, she still needed the rest of Earth House to come through in a clutch. The power of true teamwork! And Chuchu for the finish!

Now that the duels are out of the way, I guess the main thrust will be Miorine discovering the truth about the Aerial and the GUND-Arm tech. She's already suspicious of Prospera but she's also noticing more how Suletta talks to Aerial like it's actually alive. And nobody knows the Pharact kills its pilot yet.
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Pretty good thing all these pilots are like the most ace pilots in a Gundam show. Wouldn’t want these teens killed in these duels that have lasers going everywhere.

Every episode since the prologue is just more and more disappointing. I'm just sad.

Uh...I mean, they weren't trying to kill each other...? It was a duel, just not one to the death.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:27 pm Reply with quote
MagicianMan wrote:
This show isn't interested in having a grounded, logical world. It's more interested in the theatrics of it's story and characters than the practicality of it's world building. It's not a flaw that aspects of the setting don't make real world sense, It's just that they want to tell a more farcical, theatrical story...

Yeah, said something very similar to this above. Suisei no Majou has lots of flaws, I think, but its lack of gritty verisimilitude I wouldn't count against it on any kind of scale of quality (rather than simple subjective liking); that it is an over-the-top dreamy metaphorical mess seems quite intentional, not something they messed up.

That said, I don't mind hearing criticisms of the show. Just not much point in reiterating that specific one, I think.

zfunk wrote:
So far we haven't a real death in the series proper. Fake Elan died

Oh no! Even the viewers think fake Elan wasn't a real person, not even enough so for his death to count. Sad

spoiler[Kidding, kidding!]
zfunk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I know some has speculated the real Elan Ceres or Guel's brother be the final boss, but I am thinking the girl that is head of the third branch could be the main antagonist. Especially if Shadqiq dies, I could see her do a full heel turn in taking more power. I want a show that has its two heroes are girls, have another girl be the main villain, instead of taking down a guy, let their biggest threat be a girl. You know the girl I am talking about, the one that does nothing but just laughs at everybody.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I've got to admit I'm puzzled over why I like this show so much. I agree with almost all of RahXephon91's criticisms, yet this show is one I watch as soon as I can, when I'll let other shows go for a week or more.

But then, the only other Gundam series I've watched is Turn-A, and that was at least partly buoyed by the Yoko Kanno soundtrack (damn, that's a fine soundtrack --- even rivaling Cowboy Bebop and I think surpassing Escaflowne by quite a lot). So I'm not affected by Gundam-disappointment.

Probably I'm just weak for ensemble casts, and willing to overlook a lot of political, setting, and economic nonsense if a show has an interesting collection of characters. The exchange between Renee and Lilique is a good example of what I mean, but also the come-from-behind improvised assembly of mecha-debris to pull off the coup in this episode's duel (it would have been boring if it had been Suletta and Aerial who delivered the finishing blow).
zfunk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:46 pm Reply with quote
So this week, Niki has moved up my flag rankings.

Gual's is still at the top of the list, but Niki is not far behind, finding out she is a double agent, a reluctant double agent to be more exact, those types of characters usually die before they have a chance to reconcile with their friends that they deceived.When we first meet her, I got death flag vibes, the really kind girl, on Gundam that is a death in itself, but now add double agent, might as well be start planning the funeral.

As we know in story telling, sometimes characters need to die so other characters can develop, Gual is that for his brother though I think in a more negative way, I think he is going to be driven insane, I think Niki is one of those characters, probably for Chu's sake. I think Chu journey going to be effected by finding out about Niki's betrayal and prudential death, is going to help develop her character in a positive way.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:08 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Probably I'm just weak for ensemble casts, and willing to overlook a lot of political, setting, and economic nonsense if a show has an interesting collection of characters. The exchange between Renee and Lilique is a good example of what I mean, but also the come-from-behind improvised assembly of mecha-debris to pull off the coup in this episode's duel (it would have been boring if it had been Suletta and Aerial who delivered the finishing blow).

This is absolutely it, for me; I think the show is riding almost purely on charming, interesting characters and character interactions, even if a lot of the context is kind of threadbare.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Uh...I mean, they weren't trying to kill each other...? It was a duel, just not one to the death.
Yes and it's hard to believe no one is accidentally killed. They are using live weapons and the show takes no attempt to really present these battles differently than any Gundam show battle. Let's just say a mobile suit moved just slightly up and instead of the head being hit it would be the cockpit or the back pack is hit with a stray laser and it explodes, incardinating the pilot.

It's just another reason this whole high school kids using advanced mobile suits for high school duels is idiotic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
zfunk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Quote:
It's just another reason this whole high school kids using advanced mobile suits for high school duels is idiotic.

Yeah how about settling things with a card game with monsters that seemingly come to life but not really, not that makes sense.

I know one of the main theme of this show is classism, you know what other shows dealt with that, a little show called Yu Gi Oh! 5Ds.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Quote:

Let me warn you now: stay away from a series called Girls und Panzer.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:29 pm Reply with quote
We had the hint of a very hostile takeover from Shaddiq but... nope. Another duel, which was won in an unusual way, but as expected.
The main issue with those that Suletta cannot lose any duel or she will lose her bride, and Aerial, too (probably) I am quite sure that there could be a way to make it happen spoiler[Suletta losing one big one, losing Miorine, just to make a big comeback and claim Miorine back wilfully for the end of this season/series] Problem is, I am not a writer; if my guess is right, then the show is too predictive and not too good.

In any case, Suletta at least recognize Guel skill, even if he cannot understand that his father do not care about him (he seemed to acknowledge in previous episodes, though).

Poor Shaddiq, he has been rejected four time (three by Miorine, one by Guel).

Also, it's strange, because the original tittle is/was supposed to be
あと一歩、キミに踏み出せたなら (If I could take one more step towards you.), according to shoboi. Dunno where the childhood friends come from.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Amy192 wrote:
Quote:
The episode title "More Than a Childhood Friend, But Not True Love" sums it up perfectly.

The episode title wasn't that though, it was "If I could Take One Step Toward You." and they really aren't anything more than childhood friends. I am not sure why you think that they are a good ship, he repeatedly doesn't view Miorine as someone with any agency. If he had acted differently for many years the ship could work, but at that point it wouldn't even be Shaddiq. Meanwhile we have the actual ship of Suletta and Miorine which is far more healthy, this episode went out of it's way to highlight how they view each other as people and have a lot of trust in each other.

And it's heavily underselling the duel to say they only won through the power of friendship; it was through Suletta and Aerial's bond, the trust between everyone (which is mirrored by Shaddiq not trusting anyone, and Sabina attempting to attack an ally to explode Aerial), and Miorine's understanding of how Shaddiq would fight
Look on Crunchyroll. The episodes title is "More Than a Childhood Friend, But Not True Love"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 43