• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Trigun Stampede

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:31 am Reply with quote
^ You can't just take away someone's guns, that's just rude
abeltensor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I find it funny that people try to preempt different arguments against this show. It's a remake so of course it's going to be compared to the original. It's also going to be compared to the manga because that's where the source came from. I like studio orange. I think they've done a great job and some of the visuals are outright amazing but the pacing of this show is just crazy. It feels like there is some plot point that they really really want to get to before the end of this season. Also, some of the minor changes are a little baffling. I understand trying to modernize the content, but a lot of the changes are too inconsequential to matter while others are just strange. For instance, whether or not wolfwood is a priest or a undertaker is irrelevant to the story but Meryl and Roberto being reporters instead of insurance agents makes their motivation less concrete. You can really see this in this past episode, where Meryl made a big stink about the fact that they were going to part ways with vash and wolfwood. She didn't give any kind of logical reason as to why it's important for her to follow vash except the implication that maybe she wants to write an article? But they played her motivation as being very sad about leaving vash. It's as though she has some kind of emotional steak in his character and yet we haven't seen that develop it all.

Anyway, that kind of stuff is just small potatoes in my mind. As others have pointed out, there's something that's missing from this show, and in my opinion, it's vash himself. In the manga there's a dichotomy between vash and knives. Vash is this character who is goofy and seemingly optimistic when around other people but underneath it all he's very tortured and traumatized. He's covered in scars both physically and mentally and most of them have come from the human beings that he's trying to protect. On the other hand, knives is a character who has no scars, at least none from the hand of the humans that he hates so much. He wants to eradicate the human race and yet he has not suffered like vash has.

Thus far in stampede, vash has shown none of his goofy side and instead of trying to hide his trauma, he's constantly whining about his circumstances. It's as though they removed half his character for the sake of modernizing the show. I get that it would be strange from a tonal perspective if you had this character running around talking about love and peace all the time. They could have toned down his goofiness but still kept the core of the character intact, but they decided to remove it entirely.

Another consequence of this is the fact that vash just doesn't feel like the protagonist. Meryl or wolfwood feel more like protagonists than vash does. Instead of being this calm and cool character who can seemingly get out of anything, he's not really doing much. At the end of episode 3, there's that point where he basically tells Meryl that he's going to July and I fully expected for him to go on his own given that he walks off into the desert. And yet at the beginning of episode 4 he's in their car with them. It just doesn't feel very consistent to have a character who's supposed to have very strong convictions seemingly just change his mind at a whim. In the original and in the manga, the insurance girls in wolfwood followed vash and in this version feels like vash is following them because he doesn't have much agency.

This episode was cool, I like the back story for wolfwood and some of the visuals were really neat. I am a little worried about how they're going to handle the Badlands crew though. The Badlands had a lot of character because of their leader, but the leader was absent from this episode. I like that they've introduced legato early on and he's more in line with the manga, but there's a lot of random buildup for this character that seems a little unnecessary. Overall I just say this episode was very mid; it had some really cool high points and some really silly low points.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:30 am Reply with quote
I was really expecting this to be where they put a hole in the moon. Now I wonder if they ever will. But I bet the orphans will be jazzed about seeing a steamer roll right up to their doorstep! Not something you see everyday.

I can't look at the cult's logo without seeing New Mexico's flag. Smile

At least the thug didn't tell Meryl she should smile more. Rolling Eyes
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:16 am Reply with quote
I'm watching dubbed, so I'm a bit behind here.

For episode 4, yeah, there was nothing surprising since I assumed that the kid was going to be Zazie the Beast. For Wolfwood, I wonder if the writers were actually trying to approach him by working backwards this time? Original Trigun spends time getting the characters and the audience to like him, only to eventually reveal he was forced to be a Gungho Gun. This time, we know that up front, and now it's building up the why of it.

Also, yeah the "Needle Noggin" seems weird considering Vash's comparatively limp hairdo, but my guess is that this is a call back to the prior series. In a way, it is another example of where Stampede is doing something different, but can't seem to let go of the prior show.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:04 am Reply with quote
Honestly, this series might make more Vash x Wolfwood than whatever they did with the girls in the first series. Vash and Wolfwood seem to have a lot of chemistry with each other not exactly because of Knives but because they have more similar arcs here. Even Wolfwood's friend had an identical situation to that other kid friend of Vash and none of these two guys seem to have a proper answer to this issue. Wolfwood claimed he gave him a mercy kill but when his friend showed up he started having the same doubts as Vash but in the end it it turned to the most forced suicide ever.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:02 pm Reply with quote
If the plants are all sentient, the humans clearly never knew, since the original colonists were surprised that Vash could speak. This could be the moral dilemma between him and Knives, if the latter is stealing plants and killing humans to punish them for imprisoning and exploiting the plants--is it justifiable to wage war on people for unknowingly practicing slavery?

On the other hand, though it seems clear that Knives vs. Vash = Plants vs. Humans, it's not clear yet what Knives wants with the plants, and that dark red glow doesn't exactly scream "healthy and liberated." He might just be enslaving them himself for his own megalomaniac purposes, or killing them to ensure humans cannot make use of them (classic villain logic), or any number of other things that would erase any moral complexity. Apparently, this episode is the first to deviate significantly from the original story, so we're in uncharted territory.
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:26 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
it's not clear yet what Knives wants with the plants

Some of us know, or at least don't expect things to deviate too far from what we know from the original story. It's gonna be frickin' epic.
animemaster1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:27 am Reply with quote
Honestly...the easiest way for this remake to have avoided any flak from people hating on the CGI style would have been to simply not frickin animate it that way in the first place since they must know everyone hates it. And when you have an existing series, albeit older, and classic that everyone will automatically compare the remake to whether it should be compared to or not is something they should know would happen too. So instead of remaking such an important series with a knowingly ugly animation style that jitters and looks awkward frame to frame, just put in the budget to have it done right! They could have made it with new character designs if they wanted, as long as it was not so frustrating to watch. It will take a viewer out of the experience, plain and simple... Will they ever learn?

The ONLY way to make a series look good with FULL cgi style is to do it the hard painstaking way like the Space Pirate Captain Harlock movie or the Final Fantasy movies etc.
moozooh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:39 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, the CGI woes are also the most braindead criticism I've seen directed at this series. I can understand sacrificing most of the side-cast and minor antagonists to accommodate the core plot into a single cours (not the studio's fault—they have to work within the constraints forced on them), I can understand deviation from manga designs and tone (also understandable given the condensed story), but quality of animation and sound design is fricking superb and far better than the old series. The dynamism and weight of action scenes, the sense of scale, complex camera motion and particle animation—this show does a lot of things very well that the old one didn't even attempt to. If anyone blasts it solely on the grounds of waaah bad CGI waah, their opinion can safely be disregarded.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:04 pm Reply with quote
moozooh wrote:
To be fair, the CGI woes are also the most braindead criticism I've seen directed at this series. I can understand sacrificing most of the side-cast and minor antagonists to accommodate the core plot into a single cours (not the studio's fault—they have to work within the constraints forced on them), I can understand deviation from manga designs and tone (also understandable given the condensed story), but quality of animation and sound design is fricking superb and far better than the old series. The dynamism and weight of action scenes, the sense of scale, complex camera motion and particle animation—this show does a lot of things very well that the old one didn't even attempt to. If anyone blasts it solely on the grounds of waaah bad CGI waah, their opinion can safely be disregarded.

Yes, I can't help but agree. I am a fan of the manga and the old anime, but even so I'm enjoying this show for what it is - it's not the Trigun reboot I would have wanted, but then I never wanted a Trigun reboot so frankly I'm just sitting here taking what the show offers, and being fairly OK with what I get for 20 minutes per week. Even so, I do understand a lot of the criticism directed at Stampede, even if I don't agree with many of them, I can see where they're coming from... except for the bit about the animation. Because this show looks good. Does it look as good as the best traditional type animation out there? Of course not. Does that mean it looks bad? No way.

I can understand this type of animation not being someone's cup of tea, but "I subjectively don't find this pleasing to look at" =/= "this is objectively terrible".
Theozilla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:48 pm Reply with quote
MrAJCosplay appears to operating under the assumption that Trigun Stampede is going to completely finish its story in one cour. Has there been anything official confirming that? Because with how the pacing is going (and how much manga material remains to pull from) it seems pretty likely to me that Stampede narrative is being written with the expectation that it will need more seasons to tell it's story. Like the character Chapel has only been seen and heard in brief fragmented flashes of Livio's mind, yet the character already is already listed in the credits with a voice actor.

Also Vash be motivated solely by guilt is just an accusation that Knives has spewed to Vash, I don't we the audiences are supposed to 100% take his word that's the only thing motivating Vash in Stampede.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Theozilla wrote:
MrAJCosplay appears to operating under the assumption that Trigun Stampede is going to completely finish its story in one cour. Has there been anything official confirming that? Because with how the pacing is going (and how much manga material remains to pull from) it seems pretty likely to me that Stampede narrative is being written with the expectation that it will need more seasons to tell it's story. Like the character Chapel has only been seen and heard in brief fragmented flashes of Livio's mind, yet the character already is already listed in the credits with a voice actor.

Also Vash be motivated solely by guilt is just an accusation that Knives has spewed to Vash, I don't we the audiences are supposed to 100% take his word that's the only thing motivating Vash in Stampede.

And so the copium begins for how inadequate this series turned out to be. I'm sure you'll be happy to wait for a second season along with Land of the Lustrous fans.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:55 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Theozilla wrote:

And so the copium begins for how inadequate this series turned out to be. I'm sure you'll be happy to wait for a second season along with Land of the Lustrous fans.

Dude, that was unnecessarily passive-aggressive. I've made clear that while I quite enjoy Stampede, I still prefer the original anime over it. And to be clear, I am not expecting a second season anytime soon.
However, it is not "copium" to think that Stampede isn't being written to finish its its entire story within one season, when the pacing and material shown so far hasn't suggested that it's going to be completely finished within one cour.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Theozilla wrote:
MrAJCosplay appears to operating under the assumption that Trigun Stampede is going to completely finish its story in one cour. Has there been anything official confirming that?

Nah, just plenty of speculation over whether we're going to get a Maximum-inspired follow up at some point in 2025 (Beastars S3 is next year). It seems like a lot of Trigun fans are hoping a follow up will somehow retroactively excise a lot of Stampede's narrative & characterization issues, while the HnK fanbase are continuing to punish themselves by praying this will finally be their moment. I'm in the latter camp, although I'm realistic enough not to hope after all this time. At least Lustrous was near-critically acclaimed, while Stampede has been much more of a mixed bag, whether those reasons be dumb (new haircut), ignorant (bad cg) or valid (rushed storytelling, no Big Lady), but that probably accounts for little in the face of business.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Does Land of the Lustrous even have enough manga chapters for another anime season?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7