• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Apothecary Diaries

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Azure Chrysanthemum wrote:
Since from the seems of it she focused on extreme skill in Go and Shogi and wasn't taking "nighttime clients" as it were, that gives me the impression she was kind of a niche interest, still successful, but not the only draw in the brothel.

We have heard that it's not unheard of for an elite courtesan to keep her virginity all the way to the day she's bought out, though it's the privilege of the very best. And of course such games aren't unique as a draw for a high-level courtesan, though Fengxian's particular genius for go was unmatched. My reading is that while Verdigris may have had other big names on its roster, she was still on the order of the Three Princesses today.

On another note, has there been any commentary on the markings some of the women have on their foreheads -- Pairin, Fengxian, Ah-Duo at the garden party?
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
My take is that Fengxian was the Verdigris House's star attraction. When she became pregnant (and did not abort) she lost her appeal. This almost destroyed the Verdigris House so that she, and the other inhabitants had to take on all comers. The disease was an unfortunate side effect. Verdigris House regained its status with the rise of its current princesses. Note that there are three of them so they are not dependent on a single person. Also Granny is already looking for replacements for when they inevitably age out.

Concerning Maomao's attitude about Lanken, it would be hard to have any respect for a man repeatedly seen groveling while Granny beats the crap out him with a broom. Someone who then approaches you with an ingratiating smile as blood streams down his face. This in addition to knowing only Granny's side of the story.

As far as I remember the LN, Fengxian indeed was the only Princess of Verdigris house at that time. Though, she was not the sole reason the brothel fell in hard times. Famine happened in Empire that year so the number of clients dropped. Anime did not mention it for some reason.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:
As far as I remember the LN, Fengxian indeed was the only Princess of Verdigris house at that time. Though, she was not the sole reason the brothel fell in hard times. Famine happened in Empire that year so the number of clients dropped. Anime did not mention it for some reason.

I don't think the famine came up in the manga, either (someone correct me if I'm wrong about this), and, as has been stated before, the anime is more directly takings its cues from the manga version.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Weird that they keeping the famine part out since it also the reason why Lakan didn't return sooner. He was suppose to only stay for 3 to 6 months until the situation with his uncle cool down but then the famine struck and he had to stay and deal with the situation. Maybe they were saving the famine for the next arc since it play a major part in the following arcs.
SteelBlaidd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
I love the way the rain is animated at the climax of Lakan's flashback. And Kimiko Saitō's performance as the madam -- her default state has generally been grouchy, understandable as we've mostly seen her from Maomao's POV ("what has that idiot girl done this time?"), but we've never seen her show the kind of rage she directs at the man who impregnated and abandoned her star courtesan.

It's incredible to think of how much would be different, in the palace and Maomao's life, if only Ah-Duo and the then-empress (Mamiko Noto's character, the current empress dowager) hadn't gone into labor on the same day, forcing Luomen to split his attention -- leading Ah-Duo to lose her fertility, and possibly become desperate enough to switch the two babies. Or maybe if Fengming hadn't fatally erred with the honey. Whatever the exact combination of misfortunes it was that led to Luomen being banished, and Lakan sent away.

Remember that bath scene with Meimei way back in episode 8, when Maomao used Lihaku's hairpin to visit home? It's original to the anime, and it's the first time the "annex" -- Fengxian's sickroom -- shows up in this telling. The thing that really struck me when I thought about it later was that Maomao probably wouldn't have visited if Meimei hadn't nudged her… and Meimei, who we now learn was Fengxian's own kamuro, was probably the only one who would've done so.

(See also the way Meimei spoke to Fengxian in episode 18 -- and her "oh, he's not so bad" being an early sign that things with Lakan might not be as we thought. Or when we learned in episode 13 that her specialties include chess and go, fitting with her history with both Fengxian and Lakan. The way the world slowly unfolds in this series is incredible.)

I'd be interested in seeing analysis from go and/or xiangqi experts to see if the positions and moves we're shown hold up, for what the games we see are supposed to be -- a master trouncing an amateur, a master letting an amateur win, two masters going head-to-head.

A lot of source readers in YouTube or Reddit comment sections and such have been downright angry at anime-onlies who fall for the Lakan misdirection, and I do not get that reaction. That just adds to the fun of watching! You get to giggle behind their backs and look forward to what's to come!

There's a couple more things I've been wanting to talk about, but I think they might be best left for after the finale, when hopefully a bit more of the Fengxian saga will be clarified.

I have been giggling like a mad man.

It helps me not cry.

As long as we are considering hypotheticals.

What if he had been able to make one last visit before leaving town.
Or she had been less oblique in her first letter.
Or Lakan's, shit father had forwarded his mail.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
On another note, has there been any commentary on the markings some of the women have on their foreheads -- Pairin, Fengxian, Ah-Duo at the garden party?

That is huādiànzhuāng, a form of traditional Chinese makeup.
There are some legends about the origin of the huādiànzhuāng makeup,
but one of them is:
According to Sòng shū (The Book of Sòng, a historical book about the Liú Sòng dynasty), when Princess Shòuyáng lay under the eaves of the Hánzhāng palace, a plum blossom fell on the forehead of the Princess, and she tried to remove the blossom, but it could not be removed for some reason or other. The Empress said to the Princess that, since the blossom on the forehead looked nice, the Princess need not remove it. Since then, imitating the Princess' blossom, court ladies put blossoms on their foreheads.

A line from a poem composed by Emperor Huīzōng of the Northern Sòng dynasty says, '宮人思學壽陽粧,' and it suggests that Emperor Huīzōng regarded court ladies' huādiànzhuāng makeup as being derived from Princess Shòuyáng's blossom.

For people who are interested in the huādiànzhuāng makeup, the English Wikipedia has an article about it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huadian_(make-up)
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Nachtwandler wrote:

I don't think the famine came up in the manga, either (someone correct me if I'm wrong about this), and, as has been stated before, the anime is more directly takings its cues from the manga version.

Not sure if the Manga or book version, but in the synopsis I had read ahead of the episode he wasnt sent abroad to study for three years but was instead sent as on a military campaign as a commander for a year.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Count on Maomao to be able to manipulate her biological father and his weakness to "poisons" to win.

I too did not realize who the uncle in Lakan's backstory was until the anime made it obvious it was Luomen which really puts a whole new context to him taking care of Maomao. He's basically her great uncle and was there for bother her father and her when they needed him most (even if his banishment was also

Lakan's father sucks. I mean, beyond his treatment of his family warping Lakan's lack of understanding of relationships, he's someone who abandoned his family and then prevented Lakan from being there for his family.

I wonder if it was an intentional nod to Sainukoku Monogatari casting Houko Kuwasahima as Fengxian, like a legacy casting to have her be Maomao's mother. Though you can definitely see where Maomao gets her looks and some of stoicism from.

I definitely think Grams was genuinely angry at Lakan for Fengxian's sake because her bashing him over the head and telling him Fengxian was gone and blaming him for not showing up in time felt the most like a parent bitter over a man who abandoned her daughter.

On the one hand, on some level Maomao's parents truly loved each other and came to be together in a way people of their emotional level could. On the other hand, it just all went downhill from there. But you can't help but feel bad for them.
Zefram

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

(Those two names, by the way, start with the same character -- Luomen is 羅門, Lakan is 羅漢. Oh, Natsu Hyuuga, you and your inconsistent readings. 白 gets the Chinese reading "bai" in "Pairin" -- sort of -- but the on'yomi "haku" in "Lihaku".)

Light Novels make it pretty clear that it was on purpose, its a family thing. spoiler[There is a third member of their family in novels, whose name also starts with the same character. Guoshun's sons names also start with a same character that translated as "Ba" and Gyokuyou's family members also have their names start with "Gyoku"]
yeehaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is Fengxian the courtesan Maomao has brought Lakan to Verdigris House to buy out?

I assumed it was Pairin. There's no reason to buy Fengxian out since she's obviously not generating money for the brothel but still lives there

I love this show so much. Great twist. I wonder if it was Maomao's fingertip or maybe a toe because her hands doesn't look like she got a finger chopped off as a baby.

I'm a bit worried that the next episode will be a recap because all the shots in the preview looked like old stuff
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Key wrote:
As for the thing about spoiler[the fingers], Lakan brought that up himself: it's a way of casting a curse in that setting. spoiler[Fenxghian may not have had any way of knowing why Lakan didn't show up for three years, so why wouldn't she think she had been played?]

Though it's also worth looking up the origins of the term "yubikiri" (pinky promise).

I just read through Sakuran in the last few days and the thing where courtesans chop off their pinky to send to their lover to get their attention and as a symbol of their devotion comes up. I know it's not the same setting, but I assume that bit of history informed this story.

That also suggests to me that Lakan's words about it being a means of casting a curse might be subject to some interpretation. That Fengxian wasn't cursing Lakan, rather she was saying 'hey! Remember me? I'm waiting for you!' However, since he didn't get the message for three years, it became a curse knowing he was too late to do anything about it.

yeehaw wrote:
I assumed it was Pairin.There's no reason to buy Fengxian out since she's obviously not generating money for the brothel but still lives there

But that is the reason. Fengxian is a burden on the brothel. It's incredibly unusual that she be allowed to continue living there despite not earning any money (yes, I know the reason why - someone spoiled it for me Anime cry ) so Maomao having Lakan "take responsibility" and buy her out would remove that burden.

From a different angle, it's come up that Maomao is indebted to the brothel financially, but I don't think it ever implicitly states why. What if she's footing the bill for her mother's living expenses? Considering Maomao seems to hold both her parents in contempt, I don't think it's unreasonable that she might think of this as an opportunity to not only burden them with each other, but also to a)remove her ongoing obligation to the brothel, and b)have Lakan pay off the debt she owes.

Also why would Maomao want Lakan to buy out Pairin? She knows Lihaku wants to buy her out, and she's already approved of him being a suitable match for her big sister/surrogate mother.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:02 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
Quote:
Is Fengxian the courtesan Maomao has brought Lakan to Verdigris House to buy out?

I assumed it was Pairin. There's no reason to buy Fengxian out since she's obviously not generating money for the brothel but still lives there

Note that while Maomao implies beforehand she has a specific "aging courtesan" in mind, her line after the match is "Let's drag this guy out of here and have him pick a flower from the brothel." So assuming "pick" is as in "select" and not "pluck" (listening to the Japanese, I think that's right), he should have his choice.

TJ_Kat wrote:
(yes, I know the reason why - someone spoiled it for me Anime cry )

I gotta be honest, this fandom has really disappointed me.

EDIT: Thinking about it more, I've mentioned that I don't really know enough about flowers to catch the significance of all the imagery this show uses. And… man, there really is a lot of flower stuff going on in the story. The general description of both courtesans and concubines as "flowers". The fact that the historical term translated as "pleasure district" literally means "flower district". The specific associations like how "Fengxian" literally means "balsam" (and woodsorrel=Maomao, cotton rose=Fuyou -- another literal name -- and probably a bunch of other associations I haven't caught). The first OP being titled "become a flower". And one more point comes to mind, something that comes up toward the end of LN3 (so, should be mid-S2): spoiler[One meaning of 華/Ka, the emperor and Jinshi's surname, is "flower".].

EDIT2: Found a Reddit comment breaking down a Japanese video that elaborates on the flowers in the first OP. And yeah, it looks like all four of the original top consorts and all of the Three Princesses have a signature flower. Lihua, for example, has a strong association with the Chinese bellflower -- good thing to keep in mind if you rewatch episode 4. Peony=Gyokuyou, apparently, though I may need to work harder at learning to recognize that. Plum blossom=Meimei stands to reason; it's what both "mei"s mean.

…Does Loulan have a signature flower? Maybe there's a different flower used to signify her in every scene she's in, that'd be fitting. Xiaolan oughta have a flower, but I dunno what. Probably something hardy.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:21 am Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if it was Maomao's fingertip or maybe a toe because her hands doesn't look like she got a finger chopped off as a baby.

Just the finger tip of the left little finger. If you look at the episode, what came out of the bag was a full finger and a little round piece. In the novel Maomao notes that even the nail grew back though the finger tip is distorted. This is why she stares at her left hand in the preceding episodes.

TJ_Kat wrote:
Quote:
But that is the reason. Fengxian is a burden on the brothel. It's incredibly unusual that she be allowed to continue living there despite not earning any money (yes, I know the reason why - someone spoiled it for me Anime cry )

Unless I missed something, that information does not show up in the published volumes of the novel. Where did it come from? If it is not something that is upcoming in the show, I'm not sure how it qualifies as a spoiler.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:49 am Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
From a different angle, it's come up that Maomao is indebted to the brothel financially, but I don't think it ever implicitly states why.

Do you mean beyond what she owes for Lihaku's first session with Pairin?

As for who Maomao intended Lakan to buy out, given how carefully she's orchestrated everything to this point, I can't imagine that she had anyone but Fengxian in mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:22 am Reply with quote
Judging from spoilery comments I've seen elsewhere, I suspect what TJ_Kat's talking about re: why Verdigris keeps Fengxian around might be info that hasn't even been in the LNs yet, only revealed in an interview with Natsu Hyuuga. Not planning on looking into it further; I'm only six LN volumes in myself.

General comment about a line of discussion from this last page, with spoilers for info that should be in the finale a couple days from now: spoiler[I like that even now, there's still misdirection at play, and likely will be until after the grand moment where Lakan makes his choice. And the truth fits well into what we've already seen about who Maomao has only disdain for, and which people she cares about and thinks the absolute world of.]

Back to my postscripts on flowers from last night, I came across a comment elsewhere on /r/KusuriyaNoHitorigoto that made a claim about what Loulan's flower is, and if it's correct… huh. It's an interesting choice. Spoilery allusions to presumed-late-S2 material follow. spoiler[The comment said "Lantern plant for Loulan" -- looking it up, that appears to mean Alkekengi officinarum/Physalis alkekengi/hozuki. I tried Google searches for a few different ways of writing "hozuki", along with "hanakotoba". If Chrome's auto-translate is at all reliable, the meanings these Japanese sites are giving include "deception" -- fitting -- and "natural beauty", which makes a nice counterpoint to her signature flashy makeup. There's one more thing that interests me, though -- looking at Jisho.org, it seems that one way of writing "hozuki" is very similar to how you might write "katabami", woodsorrel. And in the material I've read, through the end of LN6, Maomao's clearest foil has without a doubt been Loulan.]

Also, if the meanings I'm finding for "violet" are correct, that might work for Xiaolan.

(I know it's not good form to fill up threads like this with black bars. Sorry. I'm obsessed.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 30