• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Anime/Manga World Offers Condolences After Dragon Ball Creator Akira Toriyama's Death

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pip25

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:21 am Reply with quote
"He was an amusing person. Lewd, cute, with a sharp tongue, and humble."

That felt particularly insightful and genuine. Thank you and RIP.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:30 am Reply with quote
Really looking forward to the article when it releases, ANN. Thank you for all of your work you guys are doing on this. This is truly a landmark moment in your history for you all who are the most relevant source in news on such a matter.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:08 am Reply with quote
Dang it, I have something in my eye! Sad
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:42 am Reply with quote
Archie did a tribute as well. That surprised me, but it was still sweet of them.

https://x.com/ArchieComics/status/1766212705772261379?s=20
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Ushio Hashimoto has since locked her twitter account. can't see the tweet. not on wayback machine either unfortunately
ZetMoon80

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:55 pm Reply with quote
One can judge the enormous impact Akira Toriyama and his work has had on global culture going by the huge number and the great diversity of news, entertainment, sports, etc., media outlets from around the world covering Toriyama's death, just in English:

The New York Times, The Washington Post, ABC News, NBC News, CBS News, CNN, Fox News, New York Post, NPR, BBC, AP News, Reuters, Time Magazine, Forbes, Fortune, USA Today, HuffPost, MSN, Yahoo!, The Seattle Times, New York Daily News, Entertainment Weekly, Collider, Complex, GBAtemp, Cinemablend, GamesRadar+, PC Gamer, IGN, Sports Illustrated, Marca.com (sports journal), Men's Journal, Car and Driver, Jalopnik, The Escapist, Gizmodo, Destructoid, mint, Book Riot, ComicsBeat, FandomWire, Dark Horizons, HotNewHipHop, EssentiallySports, Spectrum News, NME, Cartoon Brew, Gamesindustry.biz, VIBE.com, Teen Vogue, Vulture, LAist, SE Scoops (professional wrestling news media outlet covering WWE, All Elite Wresting {AEW}, New Japan, and more), Indy100, Daily Mail Online, MovieWeb, The Press Enterprise (Riverside County, California), WRTV (Indianapolis, Indiana), WHIO (Dayton, Ohio), WFXRtv (local Fox News affiliate in Roanoke, Virginia), The Victoria Advocate (Victoria, Texas), MassLive (Springfield, Massachusetts), ABC Arizona, Indiana Gazette Online, KXLH News Helena (Montana), WBRZ (Baton Rouge, Louisiana), KTAL (Shreveport, Louisiana), KTTC (Rochester, Minnesota), KHON2 (Hawaii), WBRC FOX6 News (Birmingham, Alabama), WSFA (Montgomery, Alabama), KNOE (Monroe, Louisiana-El Dorado, Arkansas), ABC7 Los Angeles, KLTV (Texas), Jefferson City News Tribune (Missouri), WUNC (Chapel Hill, North Carolina), WGEM (Quincy, Illinois–Hannibal, Missouri–Keokuk, Iowa), FOX 13 News Utah, WSB-TV (Atlanta, Georgia), Diario AS (they cover Toriyama's death in English as well as in Spanish), Mundo Deportivo (Spanish for Sports World; same as for Diario AS), DW (multi-language, including English, public-owned news service from Germany), Africanews (pan-Africa), Wccftech, Le Monde (France), The Independent, TMZ, Euronews.com, CP24 (Toronto, Canada), The Hollywood Reporter, People, Rolling Stone, The Guardian, Long Beach Press-Telegram (California), Los Angeles Times, Chicago Sun-Times, The Daily Beast, Variety, Animation Magazine, News.com.au, Live 5 News (South Carolina), Black Hills Pioneer (Spearfish, South Dakota), Butler Eagle (Butler County, Pennsylvania), KATC (Lafayette, Louisiana), Slash Film, Inverse, Hypebeast (Hong Kong), The Straits Times (Singapore), theSun (Malaysia), Onmanorama (Malaysia), Deadline, Sky News (the UK), Radio Times (the UK), TODAY.com, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC), Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC, the Aussie one), 1News (New Zealand), France 24, Hacker News, The Ringer, Sempre Milan (English-language news media outlet devoted to professional football/soccer club AC Milan, based in Milan, Italy), Times of India, Hindustan Times, The Hindu, Indian Express, NDTV (India), Times Now (India), Pinkvilla (India), DT Next (India), The National News (United Arab Emirates), Twitter/X, ComicBook.com, Screen Rant, Domus Architettura (Italy), and many, many more.

The last media outlet covering Akira Toriyama's death I listed above is devoted to architecture and design.

Domus Architettura describes itself as "The Magazine for Architects, Design and Art Lovers."

"Domus is an architecture and design magazine founded in 1928 by architect Gio Ponti and Barnabite father Giovanni Semeria. Published by Editoriale Domus, the magazine is issued 11 times a year on a monthly basis and has its headquarters in Rozzano, Milan.[1]":

Akira Toriyama died, with Dragon Ball has left an indelible mark on the global imagination: Toriyama studied as an industrial graphic designer and then devoted himself to his great passion, drawing, and influencing the history of manga, Written by Lucia Brandoli, Domus Architettura, Published 08 March 2024.

Japan has been influencing global art and culture since at least as far back as the invention of the folding fan in Japan during the 6th century AD.

Japanese culture is a very visual culture. I think this partly helps explain why Japan and Japanese people have so greatly influenced and profoundly impacted art and design around the world.

Earlier this week, before the public announcement of the passing of Akira Toriyama, Japan was celebrating another one of its citizens, Riken Yamamoto, winning the most prestigious award in architecture, the U.S.-based Pritzker Architecture Prize.

The Pritzker Prize is generally considered the Nobel Prize in Architecture.

Yamamoto is the 9th Japanese to win The Pritzker Architecture Prize.

His win puts Japan alone in 1st place, as the country with the most Pritzker Architecture Prize winners.

The United States is in 2nd place with 8 winners, with three of the American Pritzker Architecture Prize winners having been immigrants: 1) the late Kevin Roche, the 1982 winner, an immigrant from Ireland; 2) the late I. M. Pei, the 1983 winner, an immigrant from China; and 3) Frank Gehry, the 1989 winner, an immigrant from Canada.

So, earlier this week, Japan celebrated Riken Yamamoto's win of the 2024 Pritzker Architecture Prize, and then later during this week, along with the rest of the world, mourned the death of Akira Toriyama.

Two great creative artists and designers in two different fields.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne on Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:13 pm; edited 25 times in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I find it bittersweet seeing all the praise. Obviously his passing is the worst part and biggest cause for the bittersweet aspect, but another thing I wonder about is if he truly realized the impact and reach he had through his career and life. I hope he did. Seeing great artists of any medium, or just anyone who has had such a positive impact on others, receive such deserved praise is always heartwarming, but I feel like the true impact of their reach and impact on others often doesn't truly hit home until they are gone and everyone reminisces. I hope for his sake he knew how much of an impact he had on so many people over many decades.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:21 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:54 am Reply with quote
There's an old saying that goes "If you can't say something nice,don't say anything at all." I wish that certain people learned that before they ever took to Twitter. Within hours of the announcement of the death of famed manga creator Akira Toriyama,a man named Chris Kindred of the small but recently controversial company Sweet Baby Inc.,wrote this astonishingly moronic tweet that went "Akira Toriyama gave us the best and worst black characters in anime,in the same series,it took range to do that."
However you feel about some of Toriyama's characters,to go after a man mere hours after his death was announced,goes well beyond the tacky line and heads straight for vile territory. These are the same sort of ghouls who attacked Stan Lee moments after he passed away. This Kindred guy strikes me as the sort of guy who wouldn't be fit to be in the same room with people like Lee and Toriyama. They're both legends in comics while this clown can only shriek at his own uselessness.

There are rumors that he's been fired and his Twitter account's been suspended. If they're true,it's well-deserved. Hopefully,he'll end up either in a basement somewhere,searching for a new job or taking orders at some fast food restaurant. What he did was nothing more than some needless virtue signaling in order to get some attention and clicks for himself. As for Toriyama,I hope that either Toonami or Adult Swim decide to do a "Dragon Ball" marathon at some point. It would be well-deserved.
The same won't be true for Chris Kindred. After the controversy dies down,he'll simply be a forgotten wretch. Someone who tried to grab fifteen seconds of fame from somebody who'll be remembered for as long as comics and manga exist. Someone who earned his fame through his own creativity and talents,instead of simply being a loudmouthed cretin.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:04 pm Reply with quote
pip25

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:

Every aspect of my childhood is coming together it seems... Anime cry
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:51 am Reply with quote
All the responses show Toriyama's impact in the industry and especially the lives of others. Out of the ones I've read, the one that's my favorite is Katsura and I'm not even surprised. While all the others are genuine coming from their experiences starting from a child or work associate (and you might say they are holding their words back given their current position), Katsura described him best from personal experience. He said the words that needed to be said. Culture recognize culture. Toriyama was that guy and many loved him for being that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3