• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Should ANN Report about Crass "Mangasploitation" ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vikio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:40 am Reply with quote
Well, I voted "yes" at first because I kinda wanted to make fun of the worst atempts to exploit anime. But after reading this thread I went back and changed my vote to "no". If ANN has to be objective and not label shameless promotion as such, then I don't want it appearing in the news and confusing me or anyone else about the matter.
Also I shudder to think how many hits that "Degrassi" thing got because of the news post. It did not desrve the popularity, even the negtive popularity. (I naively believe that if we just stop mentioning notoriously unpopular things, they'll wither from lack of attention and go away)

Y'know, I think the description of the poll is confusing. There needs to be a couple more sentences there explaining what we're voting for.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:04 am Reply with quote
I voted no for three reasons:

1. I want this site to maintain relevancy in its articles. I don't want ANN posting news that has nothing to do with anything. Hence...

2. I don't want them pulling a Cartoon Network (in reference to the Cartoon Network expanding into live-action material).

3. I don't want them pulling a 4Kids, that is, taking advantage of the mainstream readers' (i.e., non-anime fans) ignorance by posting articles about ignorant attempts to exploit "manga" and "anime" (that is, using them as "buzzwords") by ignorant (not to mention uninitiated) mainstream companies to promote their products; companies who clearly don't know what they're talking about. Such articles would make it look as though "anime" and "manga" were just a collective fad; something that's "cool" to say one moment, and something "uncool" to say the next.

Cable channels like MTV and VH1 have long gone from focusing on music to focusing on music culture, and I don't want ANN to follow suit by becoming more focused on anime culture. It's a good thing this poll was posted before it started getting out of control. At least we have been given the chance to say "No, we don't want articles about Isuzu using "anime and "manga" to sell their cars" (a hypothetical example). Only articles about anime and manga, please. I don't want this site to repeat other entities' errors. I like anime and manga too much to see this happen.

Please? With sugar on top?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
Vikio wrote:
Well, I voted "yes" at first because I kinda wanted to make fun of the worst atempts to exploit anime. But after reading this thread I went back and changed my vote to "no". If ANN has to be objective and not label shameless promotion as such, then I don't want it appearing in the news and confusing me or anyone else about the matter.
Also I shudder to think how many hits that "Degrassi" thing got because of the news post. It did not desrve the popularity, even the negtive popularity. (I naively believe that if we just stop mentioning notoriously unpopular things, they'll wither from lack of attention and go away)
That being the operative word.

And above, see what humour to read the postulations of the puritan cardinals.
neko ewen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote
If being a purist about what constitutes "real" anime and manga is the thing that makes you unable to enjoy stuff like Avatar and Oban Star Racers, then it's stupid.

IMHO "Mangasploitation" would be better suited to a blog of its own.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:23 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

Named OEL manga something else?

Comic books. There. Discussion over.

Actually, the way most of it is published, I'd be more inclinded to call them 'Graphic Novels'. They are most all published as a full volume. That alone makes them unlike seriliazed collected manga. Call them manga influenced graphic novels if you must. Yet I still refuse to call them manga.

Manga = comics published in Japan.

Anime = animation produced in Japan.

Of course, there are a number of co-productions where both a US and Japanese company make a show. I'd say since a Japanese company is involved in production, you can call it anime.

Of course, I said 'Yes' to the vote if only for us to know that something with the word 'manga' in it is actually NOT Japanese. I'd rather be informed about it than have it go under the radar and onto the shelves.

That's kind of the weird thing - American fandom has taken these words and altered their meaning.

You may not remember all the hoopla over the Best 100 Anime listing printed in 2002 by TV Asahi here on ANN. Tom and Jerry, you know, the blue cat and the mouse, received a prominent ranking on that list - and the cries went out that it wasn't "anime", completely neglecting the meaning of a Japanese term on a Japanese list. Working from that perspective, the Degrassi or any other OEL manga is just as much manga as Dragonball, Sailormoon, Touch, or any other serialized comic. In Japan, the terms 'manga' and 'comic' (well, komikku) are used interchangeably.

Now, as ANN is an English-language site, I agree in using the terms as adapted to English-language fandom. Though, I voted yes in the poll and I think Richard J summed it up best:

Richard J wrote:
I voted yes because I think that ANN has the discipline to report only the really bad incidents. (i.e. the Degrassi thing.) Also, I think the incidents themselves are newsworthy because they may affect how people view manga and, by extension, anime and we fans deserve to have some idea of what's happening on that front.

As a news outlet, it's not ANN's job to tell me whether they think Degrassi's new publication is a good thing or bad thing. If I want editorialized news, I can check out CNN, FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS, NPR and the list goes on. If I want to real editorials on ANN's news matters, then I come to the forums or I post on my blog.

I'm all about informing consumers, and while it's hard for me to imagine someone asking if the Degrassi comic was actually published in Japan, think of how many similar questions have come up about Teen Titans and Avatar?

ANN has dealt very responsibly with these shows, which have been on and off the air for a couple of years, yet we aren't bombarded with article upon article of crap. If you want that, and I can drop names, go check out Akadot. I may find articles of passing interest on ANN, but I don't find stuff I would consider 'crap'.

Drew "Suiko" Sutton
http://akibaren.blogspot.com
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
Interesting how the "yes" option is mildly worded, but the "no" option is extreme and is like a random sentence taken from an angry fanboy rant.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Vikio wrote:
Well, I voted "yes" at first because I kinda wanted to make fun of the worst atempts to exploit anime.

That's the reason why I voted yes. Every once in awhile, a hilarious news item like that will pop up, like the time some hair product company put out what they called "Manga Hair Gel" (or something like that).
Vikio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quote
(I naively believe that if we just stop mentioning notoriously unpopular things, they'll wither from lack of attention and go away)
Mohawk52 wrote:
That being the operative word.

I know... Sad

Maybe I shouldn't have voted at all on this poll and just let you guys decide. Seems like "yes" is winning anyway, but not by much, only about 300 votes.
I'm guessing this means the opinion of the masses sounds like: "Yes, but not all the time please, this crap isn't worth the attention unless it's really bad" Rolling Eyes
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:15 am Reply with quote
I believe I should clarify my position a little further.

If you're talking about shows like the French-Japanese Oban Star-Racers, or the Canadian-Japanese Spider Riders, then that's fine, because technically, those shows are anime. In fact, I would even count the Korean show "Mix Master: King of Cards", since it has the "style". However, shows like Teen Titans, Totally Spies, and Avatar: The Last Airbender are clearly foreign productions. Further, Kappa Mikey is merely a parody of anime (specifically, from a mainstream point of view).

I don't want ANN to start posting articles that have nothing to do with anime and manga itself. I suppose it would be alright if you talked Tokyopop's dealings with "OEL manga", or Viz's "Shonen Jump Fiction" line, since they actually publish Japanese manga to begin with. If you were to talk about a company announcing the license to make toys based on a specific anime or manga, then that would be okay, but I don't want to see articles about toy companies using "anime" and "manga" to sell non-anime and manga related products (e.g., Mattel using "anime" and "manga" as buzzwords to sell Barbie dolls); such articles are irrelevent. Video games? Only if they are based on a specific show, or involve anime and/or manga creators or artists. However, such games need to be Japanese in origin (like Toriyama being involved with Dragon Quest).

In other words, it's okay to be flexible, and think outside the box, just so long as you know your place. I don't want ANN to compromise its integrity (sp?) or credibility just because they want to bring in more readers. If an article is somehow related to anime and manga itself, then that will be fine, but I don't want to see articles where "anime" and "manga" are merely buzzwords to sell some product that has absolutely nothing to do with anime and manga itself.

Does this clarify my position enough?
cl4y

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:32 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
ANN has a policy of not editorializing in the news. Obviously there are subjective decisions made when it comes to what to cover and how to cover it, but the words themselves have to be opinion free.

So we wouldn't be able to do this.

-t

Ahh, I see. In that case, I stand by my "no."
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:56 pm Reply with quote
mangasploitation? yeah I seen that, is when people start wearing dragonball shirts or "random cool looking manga desing clothes" to look cool when they dont like anime or manga to begin with.

or how about certain skateboard brand that start sticking Goku and random ghost in the shell chick look alikes in skateboarding gear and clothes?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4